1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phaser poll

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Max Roberts, Dec 27, 2006.

1. MXR Phase 100

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  2. MXR Phase 90

24 vote(s)
    25.3%
  3. Homebrew Psilocybe

5 vote(s)
    5.3%
  4. Boss PH-3

7 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. Digitech HyperPhase

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  6. EHX Small Stone Russian

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  7. EHX Small Stone

17 vote(s)
    17.9%
  8. EHX Nano Small Stone

6 vote(s)
    6.3%
  9. EHX Polyphase

2 vote(s)
    2.1%
  10. Pigtronix EP-1 Envelope Phaser

4 vote(s)
    4.2%
  11. Other (please specify)

22 vote(s)
    23.2%
  1. I'm looking for a phaser and have about £150 to spend so can you vote on your favourite and leave a reason. Thanks.

2. lookjojoisplaid

lookjojoisplaid

Oct 17, 2005
    San Diego
    Ive tried all the MXR Phasers and they are really great for getting pretty standard Phase tones but nothing else.

I never liked any of the EHX Small Stone stuff havent tried the polyphase yet. the small Stone i felt very limited as to what i could do with it, and what i could do with it i didnt like.

Boss PH-3 is my vote hands down. This pedal will give you ever phase sound you are looking for plus a bunch more that you will probably never end up using. Its sounds great its very simple to use.

3. O.k. thanks. The one's I am most interested in are the PH-3, the Phase 100 and the Psilocybe.

I've just realised that the Pigtronix one isn't actually a Phaser, I always thought it was an Envelope Filter and a phaser on two seperate channels but they are infact combined.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Pig is actually a phaser, it just can do a lot of other things too.

5. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    mxr phase 90. its the best for simple phasing.

6. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    i voted phase 90; it sounds good and it's the embodiment of the KISS principle.

7. Oh right, it's out of my price range anyway I just put it in the poll to see what people thought of it.

8. I voted for the Phase 90, I just got one and it's a great simple phaser. But if you're willing to pay for the Phase 100 as far as I can tell it's the same effect with a little more control at your fingertips.

9. opivy3056

opivy3056 stardust in a light beam

Oct 14, 2004
    San Diego
    phase 90 is simple, inexpensive and sounds great.

10. benevan

benevan

May 2, 2002
    Memphis
    Lovetone Doppleganger is my fav, though I doubt I would ever gig with it - too rare and too big.

For gigging, I use the Shannon Phaser.

11. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
    I have a 70s smallstone that I absolutely love, and a late 70s Phase 45 script that I love as well.

I’ve tried to like the new Dunlop Phase 90s but I just don’t.

12. max3

max3

May 14, 2006
    I use a moog mf-103 with great results. I can't say it is better than any you have listed but it does have a bunch of cv options that most pedals don't use. Also, it is completely analog.

13. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Phase 90 in the hizzy!

Used to use the older Boss one and it worked ok, but I like this tone better.

Rarely use it, but when mixed with my DD3 (delay), I can get some killer sounds doing some chording and stuff.

14. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I voted other.

My personal fav at the moment is the Tone Factor Nebula http://www.tonefactor.com/proddetail.php?prod=Nebula

I find most other phasers far to swooshy and unmusical. I tried the Pigtronix and just didn't find it suitable to my needs it was always a bit over the top, everything I've tried by EHX including the Russian and American Small Stone has been to noisy and hissy, The Akai Intelliphase had some nice features but again lacked that subtlety for a bassist to use it in a song instead of just a swooshy intro and outro.

Here are my sound samples make up your own mind.

http://myselfalone.com/tayste2000/Nebula - slow.mp3
    http://myselfalone.com/tayste2000/Nebula.mp3

Thanks

15. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Which I believe is a Old Script Phase 90 clone with some of the internal trims outside. Of course I could be wrong.

16. Hey TaySte thanks for those clips it sounds really good, i'm probably looking at that or the phase 100 to buy now.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Well if you wanna try the nebula just let me know, since we are both in Manchester

18. cbpickin

cbpickin

Dec 19, 2006
    I have been through many phasers and my search has ended with the Maxon PH350.

19. BassClub

BassClub

Feb 19, 2006
    France
    I voted "other", for the Moog Moogerfooger MF-103 12-Stage phaser!

:eek:

20. Phase 90; one swith, one knob and gets the job done. Need say more?