1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phaser that doesn't suck low end

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SteveC, Apr 1, 2006.

1. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I have a Boss PH-3 that does great phasing but it sucks all my low end. Is there a phaser out there that doesn't?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Maxon PT-999 is what I use

the Red Witch is also very very good

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    V-Bass. Like most of its effects, its phaser module has a high-pass filter so that the effect only operates above your choice of cutoff frequency - you can actually have different cutoffs for various effects within a preset : }

...Realize that phasing and most modulating and time-shifting effects change frequency curves of the original signal according to their various settings. Phasers and flangers and short short delays and to a lesser extent chorus, can actually be used as tone-tuning devices. If you set a phaser differently for instance you can get tons of lows and carve out a lot of midrange at variable frequencies because the sweep is phasing in a higher band.

4. I just got an Akai Intelliphase, which seems to preserve the lows pretty well. I haven't compared it w/any other phasers, but I'm diggin' it.

5. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    phase 90 simple, easy to find, and a classic among bassists

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Pigtronix. Also many of the "boutique" makers will customize their pedals for bass frequencies- it's often just a couple of small components that need changing.

7. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I just got back from the store with an MXR Phase 90. No low end suck, maybe a tiny bit of volume boost - tiny - and one knob. Sounds great. I believe that's the one they modeled in the Pod and that was one of the effects I liked when I had one of those.

My TU-2 powers it as well so thats a plus.

Thanks for the input.

8. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    Figured I'd tag along.

I've been gasing for a psiloscybe phaser from hbe for a while now. I went back into my local shop to try it out witht he intent of purchasing it. The owner asked me if I wouldn't mind trying out a moog 12 stage phaser as well. Oh man, i started playing and it literally blew the hbe out of the water. The hbe sounded much thinner and dryer. It almosst seemes asif the moog added low end. Needless to say I purchased the pedal. I rationalized the price through reminding myself that phase is my favorite effect and it's worth the price to me.

I also used a ph3 in the past, it sounded too "digital"* to me, although I loved it to begin with.

*I've never been one of those staunch analog-only type of guys, the ph3 just sounded very artificial in it's woosh.

9. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    I use the 12-stage version of the V-Bass phaser quite a bit. You can really rupture a subwoofer with that ; }

10. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    MXR Phase 90 and EHX small clone.

I have and love both...

11. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm assuming based on your raves for the vbass inr egards to flexibilty, that the model has all of the controls and switch functions worked into the design.

I really love the various tones I'm getting, the manual lays out the different sounds you can get very nicely. And yes, I bet this pedal can do some serious damage. I'll have to report back. THis is my first day with it, though I'm about to jam with a guitar player and possibly a drummer as well.

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA

14. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida

15. I second the Akai Intelliphase recommendation. Classic phasing. I believe it's an 8-step phaser, which is rather uncommon and lends it a very useful "in-between" sound.

16. 3rd one to Intelliphase. It has also true bypass and lots of everything instead of one knob;) But I think it is 4-stage phaser...

17. I seem to remember the manual having said it was 8-stage, but I lost it in a move and Akai's website doesn't acknowledge the company ever having produced stompboxes other than the Headrush. Very strange.

18. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California

19. Small stone sounds great, and easy to use.

20. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Can someone direct me to some recordings that demonstrate what phasing sounds like? I still don't really get what a phaser does and my multi effects pedal even has one. Guess I didn't play around with it enough.