Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steamboat, Jul 24, 2000.

1. After hearing a few instances of phaser on bass, I've decided that I want one. The sound is pretty wild yet it's normal enough that it wouldn't get me thrown out of a band.
    There are bass flangers out there but I think flange on bass is just too messy sounding for me. I'd like an autowah too but I'll think I'll wait a while on that.

I don't want to spend more than $150, and I'd like to keep it under $100. This thursday I'm going to head up the only decent sized music store around here and try stuff out (one of my guitarplaying friends is probably going to buy a Line 6 Modulation Modeler on this trip...he started out looking for a phaser when one of the music store guys turned him on to it.. I don't need everything that the Line 6 can do).

The two pedals that I know I can get my hands on are the Boss Super Phaser and the Maxon Phaser. The Maxon probably lacks the versatility I'm looking for (one knob for speed) but I'll give it a try anyways.

I haven't been able to find one but the Electro-Harmonix Small Stone comes to mind as another pedal I should consider.

Anybody have any experience using a phaser with bass? Do phasers typically cut out bass? If so, what phasers do a better job of not dropping the bass out? What other phasers should I consider? Random thoughts? Ancient wisdom???

2. i bought and electro harmonix small stone which is a shift phaser just the other day. its sounds awsome. u can go from slow sotthing to trippin fast, and it has a color switch which by best decscribing, kind of doubles the sound. i payed about 70 for it at a local shop, but i think mucisians friend has em for that price too. i'd go for it.

peace

------------------
    Keep on thumpin

3. Nails

Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I have a MXR Phase 90, and it's just a thing of beauty. It does have only the speed control, but it's sibling the Phase 100 has both speed and intensity. I went with the 90 since it only had the one control and you have to really dig inside it to turn the trim pot (which if I'm not mistaken is pretty much intensity) so each one has a slightly different sound. Only downside is that it cuts a little of my bottom end out, not a lot though, but my flanger (Boss BF-2 I know it's for guitar but it can sound so cool when I get the knobs right) barely adds any flange to the bottom end. Try the MXR, it might not be your thing but I love mine.

Nails

------------------
    "I'm a spaceboy, quit holding me down."

-Splender

brokenstoned likes this.
  4. I might be able to get my hands on one of the MXR's..I'm not sure. Definitely will give one a try if I find one..Jim Dunlop makes some quality stuff.

5. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Phase is not a very popular effect for bass, which is why I started using one in the first place.

I tried different types before settling on the MXR Phase 90. Very "trippy" sounding. That was it, man, bought it and took it home. It has a very nice response to bass, no low end loss.

But let your ears be the final judge, the Phase 90 may not be the sound that you are looking for.

------------------
    Life is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

6. holy ghost

holy ghost

Apr 29, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    I don't use it often on bass but my favorite for any application is the Boss PH-1r which just sounds killer. I've tried the EHX and never really loved it, messed with some other ones as well but that is the go to for me. I wouldn't be opposed to snagging a PH-2 if I saw one used too. But since it's not a part of my "sound" I just keep the 1r when I want to mess around. I paid 40 used a few years back for mine.

7. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Your best bet is a Source Audio Manta. They're about $170 new but much cheaper used, and there are probably some used ones for sale here in the Classifieds section
    It has great phaser and autowah modes and two presets, so it's like getting two pedals in one. It's what I've been using for years

8. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    I'm sure that the OP had made up their mind about a phaser in the 16 years since the post :)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
    Bassist4Eris likes this.
  9. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Dah, tricked by a someone resurrecting an old thread

veryvery likes this.
  10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    16 year old zombie thread FTW.

I have owned both an EHX Small Stone and MXR Phase 90. Both sound really good, but they have both drawbacks. When I played the Small Stone, there was a noticeable drop in volume. When I play the Phase 90, there is a noticeable loss of low end.

veryvery likes this.
  11. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Is the volume drop also there for the nano version of the small stone? Is the loss of low end also there for the phase 100? (And what about the Mooer clone?)

BTW how about the TC Electronic phaser?

Yeah, I've been thinking of getting a phaser as well, despite much preferring the sound of a flanger.

12. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Haven't tried the 90 but I ran into headroom issues with the 100. YMMV but it ended up being a deal-breaker. Pedal sounded fine for bass otherwise.

I had an AnalogMan-modded Small Stone with a volume control. Again sounded fine, but I ended up with the Manta (I also use a Pigtronix EP2) because it offers way more variety and way more control.

veryvery likes this.
  13. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    The Small Stone Nano I was using had very noticeable volume drop. I hear it's even worse on the Russian models.

I've never tried the Phase 100.

veryvery likes this.
  14. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Just saw the new Mooer phaser, no volume control but at least points for originality?

image.png

Driven Crane likes this.
  15. Zombie thread lol but i use my trusty old mxr 90.

16. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Depends what sort of Phaser sound you're after, but after having gone through quite a few phasers through the years, I keep going back to, and referencing everything against an EHX Small Stone.

17. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    Where were you on July 24, 2000?

18. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    7th grade :bassist: just started bass

19. holy ghost

holy ghost

Apr 29, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Well if he'd taken our advice in 2000 I'd bet he'd get it a lot cheaper. Jokes on him!

20. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    Atlanta
    TC electronics Helix Phaser is the best phaser i've ever used on bass.