Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phaser

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pascal vd Pol, May 19, 2003.

1. EHX Smallstone

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. MXR Phase 90

3 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. MXR Phase 100

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Other

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pascal vd Pol

Pascal vd Pol

May 13, 2003
    Netherlands
    Hi,

I'm looking for a great phaser effect pedal to use along my Korg G5 bass synth and Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus.
    I have a Music Man Sterling 4 string and an Ampeg SVT3-PRO on an Ampeg 410HLE and Eden D210T.
    I have read reviews on the MXR's, EHX smallstone etc. etc. I'm wondering which phaser pedals you guys are using. I'm playing disco-classics, soul and funk stuff. Which phaser should I absolutely try out in the music store and buy instantly?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have the Boss ph-3, which I like very much.

3. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Sounds great and does a great vibrato too.

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Phase 90. Sounds great and so so so easy to use.

Alex

P.S. Nice orange too.

5. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Phase 90

But you need to put it in a separate loop, it sucks tone even when off.

I didn't use it that much (read: at all) so I took it off the pedal board.
    I think I'll use it with my new guitar instead.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I use a Lovetone Doppleganger. Good luck finding one.

Of the pedals mentioned, I like the Smallstone the best. You might want to look into the H&K phaser. I can't remember what it is called right now (they only make one), but it's more of a Leslie simulator, and doesn't take over your tone as much.

7. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    EHX Smallstone. Nothing sounds quite as good.

8. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Guyatone PS3- I use this most. It's a copy of the original Phase 90, but it has a depth knob that I guess comes out of the circuit where the trim pot would be in a normal Phase90. They also gave it an asymetrical phase sweep that gives it a more dramatic sort of sound that's really apparent when distortion is used before it. It will give you some real synthy sounds with octve down and distortion.

Old green Russian SmallStone-Don't know how the foreign or domestic new ones sound, but mine's a first-issue Russian one and it sounds friggin' great. I'll admit I use it the least of the three but it has a great vintage phas sound that's comparable to a Phase100, only richer. I like to put fuzz before it and get what I call the "frying-egg" sound. This is your brain. This is your brain on bass with SmallStone and fuzz.

DODFX20B- I've seen these for 20.00 countless times (which is what I paid) and you can't beat it for the price. Very "glassy" kind of hollow sound. Really sounds way different than the other 2. Kinda funky yet smooth. This one can have some volume shifts at certain settings, so a compressor is recomended after it.

9. Akai Intelliphase. Clean, warm, useful, cheap, rugged.

10. Sobbat Phasebreaker II supposedly is the thing.
    www.musictoyz.com

MXR Phase 90: I have an old '70s script version that I had modded--true bypass, LED, ac adapter. It sounds terrific. And it's simple to use! You can a block logo Phase 90 on ebay for relatively cheap, have it shipped to www.fxdoctor.com. for a true bypass --small fee-- so it doesn't suck your tone.

Electro Harmonic Small Stone: I just got a NYC version on Ebay and had it shipped to Josh at www.fxdoctor.com to have it modded for true bypass. It's due in my hands any day.

Big Briar Mooge Phaserhas too many knobs for me. And it's relatively expensive.

Akai, Boss, DOD....didn't try em. Akai has good reviews too.

11. Phase 90 for sure. Fat, rich great for bass and...it's analog. Needs true bypass tho'.

[​IMG]

12. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Can the Phase 90 be true-bypass modded by just wiring a 3PDT switch into it?

Alex

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have mine set to "stun" - wait, you mean this isn't the Star Trek convention - it sure sounded "nerdy"!!?? ;)

14. I know folk MUSt do it but the new Dunlop Phase 90's have the switch wired hard onto the board? Does thsi make a diff at all? Maybe not enough room for a big 3PDT.

15. I don't have the URL but there is a website that lists electronic schematic diagrams for all this stuff. Maybe do a search on Google or MusicToyz.com website.

16. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Not until you showed up, Brucie-boy!:D

17. Bruce Lindfield

So that explains your username - you get everything the wrong way round!! ;)

18. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    You guys seem to be out of phaser with each other.

:)

19. Bruce Lindfield

It's probably just a phase we're going through! ;)

20. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    No, it's all cool. Brucie is just jealous because he's gettin' up there in years and he can't figure out what the fuss is all about with the kids today and their new-fangled shiny metal boxes that make strange sounds. It's hard enough for him to play bass and breath at the same time without having to worry about setting effects pedals properly. It brings him comfort to occasionally pop in the effects forum to make some cute little comment poking fun at effects users. It's completely understandable. :D :D :D

:p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.