Phasers that work well with active basses?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jan 16, 2005.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Are there any phasers that work well with active bass? I'm sure someone will probably say Pigtronix, but I wasn't really taken by it.
  2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  3. TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    My Akai intelliphase works well.

They should be on ebay quite cheap lots of places near me still have them as new old stock.

Hope this helps
  4. I use a MoogerFooger 12 Stage Phaser. Real nice.
  5. bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    I use the PH-3 and am super happy with it. I've used the MXR phase 90 and the Digitech Hyper phase and neither reproduce the lows as accurately, have the versatility and warmth or are nearly as fun te mess around with.
  6. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I've negated the PH-3 because of the slight drop in level it produces when you engage the effect. I love the sound of the MXR Phase 90, but my bass makes it clip, and the only way to not make it clip is to severly reduce the volume on my bass. The Digitech Hyperphase was nice, but again, my bass makes it distort.

I think most of you are missing the point. I'm not asking what the best sounding phaser is, I'm asking what phaser works the best with an active bass (i.e. one that won't distort). For instance, Tritone, the Maxon won't work with an active bass because their input impedances are only 500K Ohms. I'd only have to just dig in slightly and it's distort.
  7. The MoogerFooger has an input drive control seperate from the output gain control. I just back the drive off when using an active. Plus, there's a signal led (green/yellow/red) anyways. Oh, and it's real good with the low end, too.
  8. Heckxx

Nov 2, 2004
    Libertyville, IL
    Funny, i have an active bass and the Phase 90 works awesomely. I currently use both the Phase 90 and PH-3, the Boss one tends to color your sound and potentially drop some lows on certain settings tho.
  9. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    One active bass isn't as hot as another. It also depends on how you set your EQ on your bass as well. It has the potential to work for some people and not so well for others. For me, it doesn't work. Unless there is someway to modify the input stage so that I don't clip it. I'm sure if I could put a cap and a resistor in parallel with the input jack, but I just don't know what values to use.
  10. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Thanks Rumblebot. The MoogerFooger looks pretty big. I rack mount my pedals and use a GCX switcher. I'm not sure if I could fit a phaser that big on the same shelf as my OC-3, BD-2, Sparkle Drive, PD-7, and Rust Ride. I've always like MoogerFooger though.
  11. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I hated the Moogerfooger; way too little useable fx for way too much money. I loved the Phase 90 with my '80 Sabre and active Jazz (Sadowski pre-1/4 pounder p/ups). The only problem was the light didn't always come on when I used it in my Boss power supply chain, so I went with an EH Small Stone, which is almost as nice.