Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phasing/Flanging

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassling, Mar 4, 2006.

1. bassling

bassling

Mar 3, 2006
    Is it worth it to buy two pedals, one for phasing, and one for flange? Or is there a pedal out there that can serve as both adequately? I mean, phase and flange are closely related already, so do I really need two diffrent pedals to get each?

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Although they sound similar, the effects are achieved quite differently from an electronics perspective. Flanging is actually closer to Chorus. That said, the Electro Harmonix Hoax Flanger has a phaser circuit built into it. They run close to $200.00 US. Good luck.

3. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    +1. FOr less than that, you could get a MXR Phase 90 and a Boss flanger or something.

4. dumelow

dumelow

Feb 8, 2006
    England
    ive got the boss flanger, and im not really bothered about getting a phase, i get good enough phasey noises out of it for what i want

ive tried the MXR phase and it sounded really weak, but i think it was the setup i was using with it, cause the guy out of mars volta uses one on one of the tracks on the new live album if im not mistaken and it sounds lovely

I prefer the sound of MXR phase used on a guitar though

5. It DOES sound excellent on that live track...I use a Roland AP-2 for my phasing needs and I like it better...I've played that line through it and it sounds darker and spacier and just overall better...If you can't afford an AP-2, the EHX Small Stone gives you a similar tone (very dark and rich, but still spacey), but it still lacks that little something extra that the AP-2 gives you..I've used an MXR phase 90, and it doesn't even hold a candle to the small stone

6. i use a EHX small stone (russian) for my phaser, havent yet gotten to a flanger, but then again i doubt i will, i like how the phaser can get almost un noticable effect and then bam, it hits into the mix and is just an out of this world sound

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    They sound almost the same at low rates. Sometimes I like the more obvious swoosh of the flanger, sometimes I like the shimmery touch of the phaser.

8. johnvice

johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    +1

Back in the early 1980s when flanged and chorused bass were everywhere, I had this Boss flanger (a BF-1 !) that I'd get a phaser sound by turning the delay to zero.

If you would get good mileage out of a flange AND a phaser, consider a multi-effect unit like the BOSS ME-50b, it becomes more cost effective and practical to have one box that does it all.

Avoid the "I need this effect unit to do that song" syndrome. You'll spend way to much money, spend too much time setting up effects and, with too many pedals, your tone will get sucked; and that sucks.

9. multi units just dont have that greater sound IMO. Sure, some of them sound decent, but with single pedals you can experiment more and find YOUR sound easier then a multi unit can.

For flangers, you cant beat ye olde BF-2 i think. It is for flanging, what the big muff is for fuzz. Its nothing boutique, but its a great sounding pedal. Even with everything set flat it sounds awsome.

For phasing, i think a small stone is the way to go.

10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx

flanger - a delayed signal is added to the original signal with a continuously-variable delay (usually smaller than 10 ms). This effect is now done electronically using DSP, but originally the effect was created by playing the same recording on two synchronized tape players, and then mixing the signals together. As long as the machines were synchronized, the mix would sound more-or-less normal, but if the operator placed his finger on the flange of one of the players (hence "flanger"), that machine would slow down and it signal would fall out-of-phase with its partner, producing a phasing effect. Once the operator took his finger off, the player would speed up until its tachometer was back in phase with the master, and as this happened, the phasing effect would appear to slide up the frequency spectrum. This phasing up-and-down the register can be performed rhythmically.
    phaser - the signal is split, a portion is filtered with an all-pass filter to produce a phase-shift, and then the unfiltered and filtered signals are mixed. The phaser effect was originally a simpler implementation of the flanger effect since delays were difficult to implement with analog equipment. Phasers are often used to give a "synthesized" or electronic effect to natural sounds, such as human speech. The voice of C-3PO from Star Wars was created by taking the actor's voice and treating it with a phaser.
    chorus - a delayed signal is added to the original signal with a constant delay. The delay has to be short in order not to be perceived as echo, but above 5 ms to be audible. If the delay is too short, it will destructively interfere with the un-delayed signal and create a flanging effect. Often, the delayed signals will be pitch shifted to create a harmony with the original signal

Flanger from my pandora:

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/huntforflange.mp3

11. I've got a BF-2 and a PH-3 for flanging and phasing respectively. I really like the PH-3 for the amount of Phasing 'options' as it were and how deep a sweep (I made a rhyme) it can go. I haven't tried any other phasers or flangers for that matter, except for the Berlingo UP-100 (phaser) which isn't as good in depth or range of phasing 'options' compared to the Boss.
    I'd recommend the BF-2 for flange.
    I like the sound of having two seperate pedals, allows for much greater tweaking. I don't personally like multi-fx units they do too many things and none particually well. I like the ease of being able to change something without having to re-program 2 patches in a multi-fx.

12. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    +1. I used to have a PH-3 and I really liked it. There are a ton of good tones in there and I especially dug the 10 stage setting. I would still have it if I had never found an HBE Psilocybe. Also, singles are the way to go unless you are just getting into effects. A cheap multi will give you an idea as to what you want. Then, you can buy the single pedal versions of the patches you like. Good luck.

13. I have both a phase shifter and flanger, but I never use the flanger any more. The Small Stone does the job with a bit more personality, in my opinion.