Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phat Bass Boost

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 5, 2001.

1. what is this "Phat Bass Boost" i keep hearing about that they put on just about every new Soundgear?...is this new feature really worth the extra $100?

2. I think its a cheap worthless active preamp on the sr300 (I think?????) I wouldn't buy one of those, I'm pretty sure they're made of agathis which is just a fancy name for high grade plywood. For that 300 hundred dollar price range look at the dean edge, or the spector ns2002b.

3. yeah cuz i'm gonna get an SR-305 5-string Soundgear pretty soon...i won't need the "phat bass boost" cuz i have a BOSS Bass Equalizer...am i right?...will the EQ help the sound of a SR-305?

4. Taurus

Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    Do yourself a favour, don't buy something with a plywood body.

5. Look, the low-end SR series suck. They look good, and the necks play well, but there's no oomph to the bass. The only thing to make it half-decent is if you replace the preamp in the bass. The high-end SR's are good, but then they cost twice as much. Ibanez Ergodynes rule, as do BTB's. If I were you, I'd get the Dean Edge Q5 after a little more saving. Fully active electronics, good parts, and you get quilted finish. Or a Spector, which are some of the best basses on the planet. You could always get a good Ibanez later on.:)

6. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Agathis is in no way plywood. It's type of wood that comes from australia, it looks kind of like poplar, and has a deep bass tone. The phat booster is pretty much usless, it just makes the bass louder and deeper and it's plenty deep with out it. Anyway, I have 305DX that I put a new 3 band pre-amp into and now it souds great, but there are better sounding basses for the $ out there and I still regret buying my sdgr. Oh yeah, hardly any basses are made from plywood anymore.