Phat Bass Boost

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rafterman, Apr 5, 2001.

1. what is this "Phat Bass Boost" i keep hearing about that they put on just about every new Soundgear? this new feature really worth the extra $100?
  2. I think its a cheap worthless active preamp on the sr300 (I think?????) I wouldn't buy one of those, I'm pretty sure they're made of agathis which is just a fancy name for high grade plywood. For that 300 hundred dollar price range look at the dean edge, or the spector ns2002b.
  3. yeah cuz i'm gonna get an SR-305 5-string Soundgear pretty soon...i won't need the "phat bass boost" cuz i have a BOSS Bass i right?...will the EQ help the sound of a SR-305?
  4. Taurus

Feb 2, 2001
    Do yourself a favour, don't buy something with a plywood body.
  5. Look, the low-end SR series suck. They look good, and the necks play well, but there's no oomph to the bass. The only thing to make it half-decent is if you replace the preamp in the bass. The high-end SR's are good, but then they cost twice as much. Ibanez Ergodynes rule, as do BTB's. If I were you, I'd get the Dean Edge Q5 after a little more saving. Fully active electronics, good parts, and you get quilted finish. Or a Spector, which are some of the best basses on the planet. You could always get a good Ibanez later on.:)
  6. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Agathis is in no way plywood. It's type of wood that comes from australia, it looks kind of like poplar, and has a deep bass tone. The phat booster is pretty much usless, it just makes the bass louder and deeper and it's plenty deep with out it. Anyway, I have 305DX that I put a new 3 band pre-amp into and now it souds great, but there are better sounding basses for the $ out there and I still regret buying my sdgr. Oh yeah, hardly any basses are made from plywood anymore.