1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phat Phuck B + Trim Pot Tweaking = Dirty Dirty Boost :D

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DosiYanarchy, May 23, 2011.

1. So my Phat Phuck B and Pickle Pie B turned up on Saturday.

I was liking what the Phuck did to my sound but WASNT really digging the little overdrive it gave me (the tonality of the drive, not the amount).

So I went specifically against Matt's advice that he's given on Talkbass and in the literature that ships with W&Cs pedals and twisted the s**t out of the trim pot.

I have no idea if this will have negative effects on the pedal, as the trim pot keeps turning and turning forever so if i've dicked about too hard and am about to get burned by the gods of Germania for molesting their delicious fruit then someone please tell me NOW, but for now I have:

The Phat Phuck Germanium Bass Overdrive.

Its got a really raspy, mid-heavy sound that sounds really vintagey and fills in the mids on my Jazz bass so well that i may not even need my Precision :p

Ill see if I can do some decent clips.

PS: I'd like to say a big thanks to Wren & Cuff for some seriously cool pedals.

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Trims pots shouldn't keep turning. They have a range somewhere around 300 degrees. They are usually there to set the bias for the transistor. It may work but will not be optimum.

But then again. If it sounds good. It is good.

Good luck!

3. I'm SO with you on tweaking the Ph Ph B.... I just bought a Phat Phuck B from a fellow TBer who had turned the trim pot 360 degrees counterclockwise to increase the breakup and move the pedal into the OD zone... and I tweaked it another degree or two and made it even better to my ears.

I'm thinking the gods of Germania like having their delicious fruit tweaked. I'm loving the way this thing creates that just across the line break-up that adds warmth and depth to my tone.

Oh, and I'm finding that I really like a glittery pink pedal that says Phat Phuck sitting next to my glittery blue pedal that says Psilocybe... it just somehow makes my pedal board visually complete.

Attached Files:

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I don't know what the hell's the matter with me but I have a Dark Driving and a Phat Phuk B that I haven't tried tweaking yet! Now where's my screwdriver...

5. I'm bumpen this cause I played a session with a newly forming roots-rock-soulish alt thing today and I turned the phat puck on at the beginning and didn't turn it off (except once and I turned it immediately back on) until the end.

It just sounded soooo good... IMO, the flavor it adds is right on the mark for slightly overdriven tube amp (remember, mine's been tuned... so to speak).

Like the OP stated, it gives a mid-heavy sound that makes my jazz style (nordy w/big singles) bass pop in the mix with a slightly overdriven timbre.

6. Totally agree, unfortunately i had to sell mine as i needed some quick cash, if i ever go back to my jazz bass permanently, ill most definitely get another

7. Wren and Cuff

Wren and Cuff Commercial User

Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    Creator/Owner: Wren and Cuff FX
    The trimmer isn't broken. When these type reach the end, it just spins but doesn't change. It's a special "fine tuning" trim, different than the usual type. We've used both kinds in the pedals.
    You also can't hurt the pedal (or germanium tranny) this way. So if you dare, tweak away.
    :)
    -m

8. I tweaked mine one and a half turns from the way Matt set it and it's become one of my favorite overdrives.

9. I just don't think I could do it, expecially since there isn't a need for me to, as I like how it sounds now. Plus... I'm sceeerrrred. :bag:

10. behndy

behndy Banned

Nov 1, 2008
    California
    i like my Phatt P a lot. i've also wobbled the bias back and forth like a spastic orgy. don't be skeered. Matty Wren Cuff gave the approval!

"soooo.... how IS sex with an epileptic?"

".... hit or miss. you never know."

11. So I got my Jaguar bass back after a few years with a friend. It would be perfect with the Phuck as now I've also got the perfect amp to use it with:

022-4.

It seems that the frequency at which the preamp distorts on the amp is also where the Phat Phuck would too. Also its all about 'filling in' the jag's tone.

I need to buy another Phuck, or at least buy mine back.

12. Wren and Cuff

Wren and Cuff Commercial User

Oct 4, 2007
    LA, California
    Creator/Owner: Wren and Cuff FX
    I would use the old adage "If it works don't fix it".
    Part of the reason I recommend not messing with it is that I know the mind-set of "it sounds good but, could it sound better....?".
    If you like it, then don't mess with it, because while it is easy to set it back to the general place it was before you tweaked it, it is almost impossible to set it exactly where it was.

The trimmer is more for those who may have really high output pickups, and think perhaps it is dirtier than they hoped for.
    Lets them pull back the dirt a bit.
    Hope this helps!

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I may do this later. But I do love the sound of mine at the moment :)

14. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    When I played with mine I only turned it in complete revolutions and counted how many I did so I could go back to exactly where I was. I think!

15. That's what I did (I think).
    :bag:

16. See I never had a problem turning it back to where it was set originally, didnt bother counting, just kept turning back till it sounded clean(est) then added back a little grit and *Violin* bobs your monkeys uncle

17. Matt told me the when he set the bias (by ear), the volume knob would typically reside somewhere between 10:00 and 11:00 AM at unity.

18. reddi

reddi

Jan 7, 2010
    I phucking hate internal trim pots!!!!!!!!!!:spit: