Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phat punchy tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Yorkiebassist, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    How should I EQ my Ashdown MAG250(1x15 + 4x8) to get a fat punchy tone? Think the tone on AAF's version of Smooth Criminal. I have a couple of spectors, a BTB and a Thumb at my disposal.

2. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Without having heard the tune you've referered to I would say that you should boost the lowmids to get a more punchy sound. Low mids plus a nice compressor can give you a really nice punch! Almost a percussive effect.

Got my punch factory set at 8 and the following EQ:

Bass: flat
    Low mids: 2 'clock
    Mids: flat
    High mids: 2 - 3 o' clock
    Treble: 1 o' clock

But that's just me; wouldn't set my punch factory to 8 if the drummer in my band had that "click" sound on his kick drum.

My rig is also Ashdown, mind you :)

3. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Ahh, a compressor. I've never got round to trying one. Seeing as I have a lot of time on my hands, I think I may go into town and try one today!

4. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Tried a couple, and the bass distorted a compressor, how does that work?! I think my Spector Euro LX is broken in some way.

5. you would have pushed the compressor to hard.

6. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    Nah, even with everything turned right down it still distorted.

7. cr@ppy compressor then... Try an EBS Multicomp... theyre very transparent and hihgly rated. As are the Aphex Punch factory (timmy c uses one)

8. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Will also recommend these two :)

I don't know how much you are into compression, but if you're (like me) not into how treshold, attack, release and all that ****znitz works you should give these two comps a try.

Mainly bought the punch factory because of its simplicity! Only 2 knobs ;)

9. Yorkiebassist

Yorkiebassist

Dec 20, 2005
    OK will try to find those two. Are you sure my Spector doesn't have some internal problem that means it doesn't like pedals?

10. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    Is it active?

If yes: does the distorted tone also appear when not using any effects?

Guess you can read my mind: low on battery = distorted sound ;)

11. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    The Spector is very hot so you may find it overdrives a compressor unless you reduce its output...