1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phenomenon with large practice rooms

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by RAM, Nov 6, 2006.

1. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    To be honest I myself didn't read far enough in to notice that we were talking "warehouse" size. That does kind of change the potential.

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Are you satisfied with the low end, when playing this rig anywhere else?

3. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    usually happens to me outside, or if my rig's on concrete.

one of the reasons why i love the epi 502 head, cause the lows knob acts like a "make me BIGGER" knob.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    It's possible. But in acoustics, a "small room" can still mean something quite big to us but small to low bass wavelengths. A couple months ago at an AES LA section meeting we had Tony Grimani of PMI give a presentation on bass response in small rooms. I provided a QSC powered sub that he put on a wheeled dolly. He ran a sine wave generator into it and tuned it to about 45 Hz, estimating one of the room modes. Then he wheeled the sub around the room, and it was an interesting effect to hear that bass tone get really loud and then fairly soft and then loud again just from the reinforcement and cancellation. This was in a meeting room about the size of a small theater that could seat several hundred. It was large by home or office standards but not to the signal wavelength.

Outdoors away from any walls, the bass rig would be radiating into essentially half space (~ 2π steradians) at very low frequencies and somewhat in between half and and full-space (~ 4π steradians) at higher ones, depending on whether the cab is on a stage, how high and large the stage is, etc. That would cause the sound levels to be much lower at a given acoustical output from the cabinet than if it were in a room near a wall, or better yet, near two intersecting walls. And then of course, the omnidirectionality would depend on the cabinet being a point source at the particular frequency, so that would apply to deep lows.

What you describe could be the case, el_Kabong, but I think the room would have to be extremely large.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 4, 2021