1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phew! I read this just in time...thanks for the warning WSJ folks!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Waffles and Scotch, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Far better posters than me will have to come up with something (like Matticus or Kwesi). I'm just too speechless! :eek:

2. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    I suppose it should have read: "You may be sick if castrating lambs with your teeth."

3. Amazing. I would have never considered biting the testicles off lambs. I guess it is one way to pass an otherwise boring day.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I fail. Ive got nothing. Maybe if it were about goats I could make a grilled goat cheese joke...

5. Is this something you do before or after shooting up with bath salts?

I can almost hear "It cretainly seemed like a good idea at the time' or "Hold my beer and watch this s***."

6. Lol!

7. WIN!!! :D

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    From the article......."The ranch owners and employees, the MMWR notes, were advised to use standard methods for castrating the lambs -- not including the teeth."

I'm thinking a little more than castration was going on here.

-Mike

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Mike Rowe got to experience this firsthand. Biting them off is the "traditional" way of making castration pain as short-lived as possible. Banding them (as recommended by the Humane Society) makes lambs weak and powerless for some time.

I highly recommend listening to his talk (it's not really about lamb castration): Mike Rowe celebrates dirty jobs | Video on TED.com

10. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Basque shepherds have used that method of castrating sheep for a more than a hundred years. Those who know agricultural and animal science history were aware of this.

Today's shepherds are alone on the range at Christmas - USATODAY.com

The good shepherd knows how to castrate the lambs the old-fashioned way — with his teeth. On the open range without clean water "it's quicker, easier and more sanitary," says Margaret Soulen Hinson, co-owner of the third-generation family ranch business.

11. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Where I come from, we castrated sheep and calves using an emasculator, not our teeth. But then, I'm not from Wyoming, either. Now I know why they say, "where the men are men and the sheep run scared."