1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Anselmo to sing for Alice in Chains?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by f'nar f'nar, Apr 21, 2006.

1. Hey guys, I just head a couple of recordings of ex Pantera/Down/Superjoint Ritual front man Phillip Anselmo singing for AIC but as far as i know its just a guest performance. But I heard someone say that Phil is a possability for new front man, any thoughts? I took it with a pinch of salt but it would be very cool if Phil became the fulltime AIC singer.

2. That would be.....different.....but cool.:cool:
    That would certainly take AIC on a whole different direction - I guess it depends how much Jerry Cantrell sang etc.
    Also - Some of the songs from Jerrys' solo work could definitely benefit from a heavy dose of PHIL-CORE!
    Looking forward to it.:hyper:

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I guess Phil's promise that he wouldn't be heard from for "a long time" equates to just under a year and a half. :meh:

Phil could definately change AIC's into something quite different. I don't think I could stand to hear him try to sing songs like The Rooster though.

4. I thought AIC had a new singer for their summer reunion tour?

5. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Why would they replace him with another heroin addict? While it's true that Phil is an order of magnitude more industrious than Layne was, AIC had a lot of issues because of that addiction.

Here's hoping it works if it's true. I can't see Phil in AIC working out all that well musically but I'd love to see them pull it off.

6. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    Why would they replace him with another heroin addict? While it's true that Phil is an order of magnitude more industrious than Layne was, AIC had a lot of issues because of that addiction.

Here's hoping it works if it's true. I can't see Phil in AIC working out all that well musically but I'd love to see them pull it off.

7. That's short-sighted. IF it is true, Phil had proven in the past that he can really do some sick melodic singing,a nd they both have a nasally melodic voice. Remember when Pantera did This Love? That was pretty AIC influenced, if you ask me.

I love AIC...they were heavy and mellow at that same time. ANd Layne's lyrics were great.

BTW, according to Phil he had some bad physical problems and became addicted to pain medication because of it. He says he's recovered though...and he probably learnt from how badly he helped **** up his Pantera relationships.

I hope this is true...I'll do some research, now.

8. Heres what Ive got so far:

Anselmo played some MTV tributes with AIC singing AIC songs.
    Anselmo Cantrell and some avenged sevenfold guy+tribute band played Walk.
    Anselmo was a guest vocalist at a few small AIC club dates.

BUT, now:

As previously reported, ALICE IN CHAINS will play at least five shows in the U.S. before heading overseas for a series of summer European dates. The band have revealed on their web site that the first date of their U.S. tour will be May 18 in Los Angeles. They have also confirmed that COMES WITH THE FALL vocalist/guitarist William DuVall will sing lead vocals for the group on their upcoming run, along with a few "special guests."

DuVall performed two songs with ALICE IN CHAINS last month in New Jersey at a taping of the VH1 Classic series "Decades Rock Live!" He has also sung ALICE IN CHAINS material as part of guitarist Jerry Cantrell's solo touring band.
    -Blabbermouth

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Cool news. I like this option more than Anselmo...just because it's more authentic to the original band. I can't imagine them with him singing being anywhere near as good as with Stanley.

10. Hey, Phil lays down some awesome lyrics, man...and he can sing (though his smoking/screaming has ruined his once-multi-octave voice...but his growl/screams are better now :bassist: )

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Has anyone here who's putting this down listened to... Down? Phil has an amazing range, and he has a similar tone to Layne.

12. Exactly

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Having seen both Phil Anselmo and Layne Staley perform live I have to say that Phil seemed much more aggressive to me than Layne, plus he looked much more aggressive. That, of course, that is a woman's point of view.

I know Phil is one heck of a singer, a real powerhouse. He might be googd for AIC. I liked AIC so much. It is hard for me to accept change. I'd kind of like to see Chris Daughtry, currently one of the frontrunners in AMerican Idol to be frontman of the band. He surely has the chops.

But AIC know what they want to do, so we'll have to hope it works for everyone including their fans. Does anybody know? Has the band written new music and are they about to release a new CD?

One last point. I read that AIC was invited to be this season's band on CBS "Rock Star" to find a new frontperson, but they turned CBS down. Too bad. I think INXS found a very gogod fit for themsaelves when they chose J.D. Fortune. By the way, the runner up, Marty Casey, would have been a good frontman for AIC, too. Well, I wish Phil good luck.

14. OOOO!!! I wanna hear this! I'm a huge Pantera fan and I love Phil's singing (more in Down then anything else), I've been wondering what he's been up to since Superjoint died out. This should be vveeerrrryyy interesting.

15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The current issue of Rolling Stone has also reported the same thing about William Duvall handling the vocals.

16. Also in an interview with Cantrell..they may be doing a studio album with him soon.

17. Strange to think of Phil replacing Layne... They are a world apart as far as music genre, though having heard some of Phil's "softer" work, I agree that his range might be a good bet... thing is his lyrics are way different than those of Layne... maybe thats a good thing. might freshen AIC up and lead them in a different, more modern direction... I'd be curious to see the result of that.

I was a big fan of Pantera and AIC for a long time.

18. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I wasn't putting down the idea, or Anselmo as a vocalist. I happen to love Down and Pantera. He could definitely pull it off, he does have a similar range. It could be awesome too. If they are going to re-invent themselves as a new band, he'd be an interesting choice .

I just think Lane Stanley was such a huge part of that bands sound, they are hard shoes to fill.

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    AIC is Layne Staley singing with Jerry, end of story. I will not attend any show with someone else on lead vocals. A tribute, now I could handle that.

-Mike

20. Otso

Otso

Mar 6, 2006
    Finland

+1

I don't care who's trying to replace Layne, it just won't have that amazing sound AiC used to have.