Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Chen on "Maggie May"

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Eric Grossman, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    Hi Y'all,
    Does anyone know where I can get a note for note transcription of Phil chen's bass part on Rod stewart's "Maggie May"? Thanks to anyone who can help me out.

cheers,
    Eric Grossman

2. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    i cant help you find the transcription, but it was ron wood that played bass on that track iirc.

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Can't help, but I love the signature! Wish there were more K's fans in the US, particularly around here. Amazing talent in those Bettens!

4. Eric Grossman

Eric Grossman

Nov 3, 2004
    St. Louis
    Endorsing Artist: Hipshot Products and SIT Strings
    SoCom,
    It's a great pleasure playing for those crazy Belgians. I'm glad you like "the stuff". Check out Sarah's new solo disc. I played on 5 tunes, with the great Brady Blade on drums. I hope you like it, too.

narud,
    Are you sure? Wow, the guy can play. I hate it when guitar players kick ass on bass.

Still looking for the transcription, BTW.

5. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    ...and very nicely too, I might add. Ronnie's basswork is kind of overlooked, but I thought he was consistently very good and played on a number of great records back in the day.

6. Yep, it was Ronnie that played bass on Maggie May. Pretty good job,too, if you ask me.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Pre-Every Picture Tells A Story...
    Wood was the bassist for the Jeff Beck Group; Rod Stewart eventually landed the gig as the lead vocalist.
    Check out Truth & Beck-Ola.

I have seen a transcription to "Maggie May" in one of those "Guitar" magazines(Guitar or Guitar World)...that was probably 10 years ago, though.