Phil Collins bass

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Oliver, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Does anyone know the song, "Something Happened On The Way To Heaven"?

awesome bassline, anyways.. anyone got any ideas what kinda bass that would be? P-Bass maybe

please help, i need that kinda tone for my music
  2. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    I thought Phil played the drums.
  3. Lee Sklar on his Frankenbass I believe.......
  4. The bass player is none other than Nathan East. He also plays in the smooth-jazz band, Fourplay. 1st call session guy.

He uses his signature Yamaha 5-string bass. He had a signature EQ pedal also made by Yamaha, but I believe that it has been discontinued.
  5. I stand corrected....
  6. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    THanks CptnHook,

just one more question, he used his sig model in 89 or so when the song was created?
  7. I didn't realize Nathan played on that....looks like he played on a couple of tracks...this one and "Hang in Long Enough".....Pino Palladino played on "Wish it would Rain" and "Do you Remeber". Lee Sklar played on the rest of the tracks and was Phil's touring bassist for several tours as was Nathan East....both are phenomenal bassists and wonderful Human Beings...

8. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    yeah, and the tones are all amazing
  9. I know that Nate's sig bass was around in the early nineties, but I'm not sure if he used it on that particular recording. His "black box" EQ that he would show up with at sessions was also a thing of legend - I'm surprised the production model didn't catch on.

At any rate, IMHO, I think it's a combination of Nate's guitar, Nate, and PC's engineers/producers.

Agreed that Pino and Lee are awesome! Pino's fretless work is tasty.

I saw PC in concert when Nate was touring with him - I wish I had half his talent. He sings too.

10. Blazer

Nov 27, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Rogue luthier employed at Knooren Handcrafted bass guitars
    If Nathan East played on this track (and given the fact that he always was a faithfull Yamaha user) it's very unlikely that he played a Fender P-bass when the track was recorded

Another thing that proves without a doubt that he did not use a P-bass is the fact that we hear a low B growling along so it's likely to have been played on a five string bass, probably a BB-series , knowing that Nathan East favors those.
  11. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    thanks so much for the feedback guys, the tone is amazing, very warm, kinda muddy but still very sharp, if that makes any sense :rolleyes:
  12. ArnoldoAC

Aug 23, 2003
    He didn't have his signature bass yet for that recording so it could have been a TRB-6