Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil DeGruy: Master of the guitarp.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 21, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Behold! The guitarp!

[​IMG]

Behold! The man!

[​IMG]

Behold! The website!

www.guitarp.com

Check this guy out; he's amazing, and criminally unknown. Seriously guys, he's one of the most amazing guitarists I have ever seen. New Orleans locals have no excuse for not seeing him; New Orleans tourists have no excuse for not seeing him.

Go forth and download mp3s. You can thank me later.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Kinda reminds me of one of Pat Metheny's acoustics. Veeeeery cool stuff.

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    bump

\Bump\, v. i. [See Boom to roar.] To make a loud, heavy, or hollow noise, as the bittern; to boom.

As a bittern bumps within a reed. --Dryden.

bump

\Bump\, n. The noise made by the bittern.

bump

\Bump\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bumped; p. pr. & vb. n. Bumping.] [Cf. W. pwmp round mass, pwmpiaw to thump, bang, and E. bum, v. i., boom to roar.] To strike, as with or against anything large or solid; to thump; as, to bump the head against a wall.

bump

\Bump\, v. i. To come in violent contact with something; to thump. ``Bumping and jumping.'' --Southey.

bump

\Bump\, n. [From Bump to strike, to thump.] 1. A thump; a heavy blow.

2. A swelling or prominence, resulting from a bump or blow; a protuberance.

It had upon its brow A bump as big as a young cockerel's stone. --Shak.

3. (Phren.) One of the protuberances on the cranium which are associated with distinct faculties or affections of the mind; as, the bump of ``veneration;'' the bump of ``acquisitiveness.'' [Colloq.]

4. The act of striking the stern of the boat in advance with the prow of the boat following. [Eng.]

bump

n 1: a lump on the body caused by a blow 2: something that protrudes [syn: bulge, hump, gibbosity, gibbousness, jut, prominence, protuberance, protrusion, extrusion, excrescence] 3: an impact (as from a collision); "the bump threw him off the bicycle" [syn: blow] v 1: knock against with force or violence; "My car bumped into the tree" [syn: knock] 2: come upon, as if by accident; meet with; "We find this idea in Plato"; "I happened upon the most wonderful bakery not very far from here"; "She chanced upon an interesting book in the bookstore the other day" [syn: find, happen, chance, hit, encounter] 3: dance erotically, as in "bump and grind": dance with the pelvis thrust forward 4: assign to a lower position; reduce in rank; "She was demoted because she always speaks up" [syn: demote, relegate, break, kick downstairs] [ant: promote] 5: remove or force from a position of dwelling previously occupied; "The new employee dislodged her by moving into her office space" [syn: dislodge, displace]

bump

vt. Synonym for increment. Has the same meaning as C's++ operator. Used esp. of counter variables, pointers, and indexdummies in `for', `while', and `do-while' loops.

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Behold...The Pikasso!
    [​IMG]

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    here's another harp guitar

[​IMG]

6. Saintsfan76

Saintsfan76

Jan 22, 2008
    Serious bump.
    He's also in a group in the New Orleans area called Twangorama.

An engineer @ work does amp maitenance for one or two of the guys. He let me hear a copy of their new cd last week and I instantly fell in love with their music. I plan on catching one their gigs this coming weekend. If your ever in New Orleans be sure to check'em out They'll also be playing jazzfest on the 25th any of you guys are headed this way for that.

7. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    There seems to be a lot of necrophelia regarding old dead threads of late, but this one is absolutely worth it.

Phil DeGruy is a master. I was at their CD release party at Carrolton Station 3 blocks from my house, and I was completely blown away. All these guys are completely sick, but Phil especially is terrifying to watch.

Highly recommended.

8. Wow, most of these guys who play "odd" instruments are usually experimental/ecclectic for the sake of it, but this guy is really good.