Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones Bass 16B + 8T

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Geoff Bates, Dec 6, 2003.

1. Geoff Bates

Geoff Bates

Oct 23, 2003
    Derry, NH
    I picked up a PJB 16B and 8T from Ted Herbert's in Manchester, NH recently. You gotta' check this stuff out!! The BEST speakers I've ever played through. Gigged with them for the first time this past week and it was the first time I could truly hear everything. All the dynamics, tone and texture were there so that I could "play" my bass, rather than just cover my parts and hope that the bass was "sitting" where it should be. Things felt right! And it must of been right because there were tons of compliments about my tone from people in the audience, my guys in the band and even the soundman whose a bass player too! The BEST. Nothing I've ever played through is even close.

2. Cool. What are you powering them with?

Geoff

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I tried out the same combination today with my Fafner. I spent a good deal of time trying to find my sound.:(

My experience today was that these speakers really are tight! I mean, tight, focused, clear, and...did I mention tight?

The downside is being all 5's, the focus is really strong in the upper mids. It takes quite a bit of eq'ing of my Fafner to get even close to the tone I'm after (I like low mids, not high mids). However, with a bit of eq'ing on my bass, too, I was then able to find an absolutely tremendous sound!

The Fafner may not be best paired with PJB cabs, as the eq section doesn't allow you to select multiple midrange frequencies. PJB heads, OTOH, have a graphic eq with about 100 sliders!:eek: With that kind of setup, I found it was much easier to dial in my sound.

Now...if I could only come up with the $2K for the rack head!:eek::p

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Congrats on the PJB gear. I love his stuff and Phil is a great guy to boot! :D His cabs are amazing, but my favorite pieces of his line are the tube amp (a new, smaller version should be available soon) and the briefcase amp. For anyone looking for a practice amp that doesn't sound crappy or an amp that gives you great power and clarity for small gigs, the briefcase is the one for you. I'm sure you'll love your new PJB gear!

5. Geoff Bates

Geoff Bates

Oct 23, 2003
    Derry, NH
    I used a Trace Elliot AH250SMX to power the them. Always run the pre-amp in tube mode. Didn't need much EQ. A little bump @ 40HZ to warm things up, flat thru 1.5K and then 3-6db boost from 3K-12k. No pre shape.

6. Awesome...

my question is.. how well do these speakers project? Seeing as they are 5s, I would imagine that their throw wouldn't go too far - which is great if you're using your rig as just a personal monitor, but bad if you're running with no PA support. Also, how low can these go? Can they pound out a strong low B? How is the pricing on them?

I've gotta try some of these out. I'm not that far away from Manchester.

7. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've tried the full arsenal of PJB gear (do a search for my reviews) and I can tell you that they go LOW and throw FAR! :D I know that a 5" driver may be unconventional, but bass players have traditionally been an open-minded bunch. The coupling effect you get from an entire wall of speakers acting in conjunction with one another is truely remarkable. Not only are these cabs loud, but they'll service a low B of a 5-string without a hitch and the overall tone is exceptionally crisp, clear, and tight. If you have a chance to check them out, it'll be an experience! ;)

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I'll second that!

9. Geoff Bates

Geoff Bates

Oct 23, 2003
    Derry, NH
    Last thing first. Not only do the PJBs pound out the B they also roll out my low F# with slam and definition.

Go to www.PhilJonesbass.com for the answer to your first question.

10. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im really interested in their speakers.
    How do you think they would stack up with a good 1x12" cab? I cant afford Phil Jones´bigger cabs.
    How about the 6T cab with a 1x12" for a small rig? The 6T for punch calrity and projection and the 12" for moving some more air?

11. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I think that PJB gear would match up fairly well with other speakers, but keep in mind...even though the speakers are only 5s, you're still going to get deep bass outta these things. In other words, you don't "need" to pair a PJB cab with a 12 or 15. The cabs don't lack bass at all.

12. kmacleish

kmacleish

Nov 19, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    Wow . . .am I the ONLY skeptic about these cabinets? (No, can't be, there are a bunch of skeptical bassists around here somewhere . . . )

I must start by saying that no, I have not yet heard these speakers and I am VERY interested in doing so, and I am not slinging mud or condemning out of hand something I have no personal experience of yet.

That said, I want to know by what magic Phil Jones gets 30 Hz - or even a good amount of 23.12 Hz, by the earlier post about F# string response - out of a 5" driver? This is part of the classic Bose 901 design applied to an instrument speaker. Granted that you have a wall of drivers and a bunch of cone area going for you, you still have a driver whose basic physical characteristics make it a midrange unit rather than a woofer. If it was possible to get good loud full range sound from this design (Quote from the PJB Web site: "The PJB Piranha woofer is linear from 25Hz to 15kHz"), why wouldn't it be used in big sound systems, where the cost savings would be significant compared to multi-way split and amplified setups?

I would love to see a test result of actual low frequency response and distortion on these cabinets. Saying it " . . .will reproduce 25 HZ . ." is all very well, but how cleanly does it do it? Or does it produce a bunch of 50 Hz output in response to a 25 Hz input?

Check out the graph for the Briefcase amp:

http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/SPEAKERS/Briefcase_info.htm

If this uses the same driver as the big cabinets, I wonder how the greatly elevated (5-10 db) midrange response happened? And where did the low bass go? It pretty much quits at about 50 Hz.

I do think the Briefcase amp is a great idea, and cute as a dozen bunnies, though - anyone know what it costs?

13. I don't see why there is necessarily anything physically wrong with using a 5" driver as a woofer. Compared to the wavelength of a low note (30Hz and lower with a wavelength greater than 10m). I don't see why a single say, 12" driver would necessarily be better for a low end application given that the 5" is properly designed. I guess you would have to add to that that the dynamic response of the 5" driver is going to likely be better. Perhaps this quick response is the reason that it is more usually applied as a midrange driver. I don't really know, just an idea.

Geoff

14. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    No, you're not the only one. I'm a very curious bassist and I started this thread, which contains some emails I got from Phil after I inquired about various technical details:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87123&highlight=16h+pjb

The Briefcase uses different speakers to all the other cabs. A 5" driver can go low, if designed with enough travel and a low Fs - which is hard, but knowing Phil's background in serious hi-fi, I expect he's pulled it off very well.

The Briefcase is one hell of a bargain IMO, costing only $600.

Alex

15. Recently, I had been in the market for some new cabs in different sizes and outputs, and in the last 4 months, I've gone through: EA CxL 1-12 (2) of them, an EA VL 2-10, the Bergantino 322, an Accugroove 'wappo jr.' and the PJB 6T and 9B. For me...I'm sure I'll offend a lot of players out there, but; the EA stuff wasn't in the same league in any respect...tone or output. As for the other 3; I think the 'wappo jr.' edged out the Berg, just on my personal tone preference. The Berg a bit more 'old school' sounding with it's emphasis on the 100-165hz range; there was the tendency to have to turn up onstage because it sometimes got lost in the mix depending on the venue...the AG a bit more 50hz, fat, and a tad more articulate in the upper mids with flatter highs (not as much the tendency to have to turn up)...the Berg a little more 'glassy' on the top end. Now the PJB cabinets. I'd say a bit darker sounding than the other two, yet still maintaining a certain crispiness to them. A definate concurance on the 'tight' description. Generally flat throughout the spectrum. And yes, they do move air! The two cabinets combined against the AG?....jeeze; really a matter of personal taste. I love the AG, but for portability sake, flat response AND the ability to achieve the tonal spectrum WITHOUT the use of a coloring 'tweeter' or mid driver???? Let's just say, if the price doesn't drown ya, PJB is definately NOT a bad investment. I am though(since I do love the sound of the AG) in the process of acquiring the Tri 110 for smaller settings because I was very happy with the 'wappo's' tone. Plus...Mark Wright has been a real stand up kind of guy, and I for one appreciate the support and time he gives his clients. I've never spoken with Phil Jones...but I've heard good remarks.