1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Bass 'Bass Buddy' Problems

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Federighi, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    Hey TB'ers,

Purchased a used Bass buddy from another member here some time ago. Seemed to work 'fine' at home for practice, etc but when I brought it to a gig, the power supply died. I got PJB on the phone and ordered a replacement. When the new power supply came I went to fire the pre-amp up and while it had power there was no output signal and appears to be completely in-op.

Wondering if anyone else has experienced problems with their PJB pre-amp and open to suggestions on what to do with it because at the moment it's nothing more than a glorified paper weight.

Thanks in advance!
    -Federighi

2. I would email PJB and ask them , they are very good at responding to any questions you may have ,I once asked a question regarding powering my briefcase amp via a 12volt car battery and Phil himself replied to me . I bet there aren't a lot of amp companies where the owner himself replies to you query.....good luck

3. Federighi

Federighi

Jun 19, 2011
    Burlingame, CA
    Thanks nzscott. I wrote customer service before. They do not offer 'service(s)' for the pre-amp and diagnostics will run as much as purchasing one new. Just curious if there's been any other known 'problems?'

4. Oh well sorry to hear that PJB cant or wont help .... I just got myself a sansamp para driver V2 and would highly recommend you checking one of them out ,if you are going to buy yourself a new pre amp ...in regards to the bass buddy ,you should do a google search of your local area's electrical engineering services shops ,I'm sure they could take a look at it for you ...

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I had the same problem with mine and the same response so it sits here inoperable.

6. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Sad that two of you had the same problem and PJB won’t help you! Class action suit?

7. I guess they will be even more expensive to buy new now , since they are manufactured in China ,up to 35% more .......maybe you should have mentioned that to PJB in your email , in regards to them not offering a 'service(s)' for the pre-amp and diagnostics etc. .....:bassist:

8. JJR58

JJR58 Dirty Bird

Dec 2, 2010
    Brooklyn, NY.
    +1 on the Para Driver V2, great unit.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Inactive

Changing to another pre-amp is not really the point. The point is that PJB should be offering service for ALL of their product line not just some. Take Genz Benz for example. They are essentially out of business yet Andy will repair any of their product line at a reasonable cost. PJB stuff ain’t cheap, they should invest some of that cash flow to better serve their customer base before they find they don’t have one any longer!!

10. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache In Memoriam

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Ohch.... I have been going back and forth trying to pick either:

PJB Double 4 /
    Ashdown b social

And was really leaning towards the PJB, but there is this lack of help and I'm getting a general bad feeling about companies (especially owners) doing the right thing.

I am completely aware both a super low key practice amps, but that is exactly what is needed.......hmm I have your in my sites Ashdown

11. HI I would go for the PJB .....you will get a warranty from them when you buy new ,and it is quality equipment ....the op brought his bass buddy second-hand ,I brought new and filled in a online warranty form and was covered for the stated period of time ,12 months I think

dharmashawn likes this.
  12. dharmashawn

dharmashawn Owner, Handlebar Moustache In Memoriam

Oct 20, 2010
    Connecticut
    Thanks good to know. I had the headphone amp (BigHead) and the sound was amazing!!! With as Dope as the Ashdown looks you hear crickets about it!!!????!!! Weird.......I thought PJB had better/decent Custy Service than this paints.

Appreciate the response

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 24, 2021