1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass C4 Compact Bass Guitar Speaker Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ELS011, Mar 20, 2018.

1. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    Does anyone have experience with this cabinet? I would use it at blues jams held in small venues. I would use it with a Gallien Kruger MB 500 amp. This cabinet indicates 400 watts, but the venue(s) we play at have strict volume limits, so I would never push this amp beyond a safe level. I have a 4x10" GK neo cabinet, however, now at 65, I have blown out my back and the size of my equipment, unfortunately, takes priority over tone. However, I still want the best sound I can get. I am playing a new model Marcus Miller/Sire 18 volt active bass, which can be powerful. This cabinet has four 5" speakers and still has 4 to 5 * reviews in the online music store ads (AMS, ZS, S.A., ).

upload_2018-3-20_16-51-53.

armybass likes this.
  2. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I have 2 C8 PJB cabs and my search for bass amps is over, one C4 with 400 watts will blow your mind, I got the C8 because it has wheel and a telescopic Handle, but the C4 will do the job

3. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    Thank you very much for your reply. You can imagine my dismay at possibly not playing live anymore. Difficult choices. Although, with the ratings this amp has (usually five *'s) and the price, I think it more than just practice equipment. I am going to try to find a distributor in my area (N. Ca) and try one. I really appreciate your response. I have not heard of PJB equipment before.

4. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Just get it. You will not be disappointed. I also have the C8 and it rules. Plenty loud.

5. ELS011

ELS011

Jan 8, 2018
    Petaluma, Ca
    Thank you. I am leaning toward buying one. There are online deals with set monthly payments with 0%. It comes out to less than $69 a month, which is less than IF I took my girlfriend to a nice place for dinner.

6. I’ll give a slightly different view...

The PJB cabs are great but they have their own thing and IME it is a niche thing. My experience also tells me that you often have to pay more for the same basic results with PJB... IME, to get the same amount of volume or low end you have to pay more with the PJB and often end up with more weight even if a smaller footprint.

There are tons of other small, lightweight cabs that sound great out there now that all deserve a look. I’d check out the Genzler BA10-2, the MAS 1,8, the Barefaced 110, the Acme B1, Trickfish SM110, and there are probably a bunch of others as well. Unfortunately, PJB doesn’t give complete specs to get an idea how their cab compares in the real world. For example, they advertise the C4 at 30hz-15khz but they don’t say if that is -10 dB or -20db or -3 dB so you don’t have a sense of how much low end there really is. Likewise they do not tell you the efficiency (probably less important in your situation but still a real question - it would be a drag to discover it won’t go loud enough for your uses).

ELS011 likes this.