1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Featured Phil Jones Bass Cab 67 Packs A Punch

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 5, 2020.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    The Cab 67 is a no-holds-barred 500 Watt powerhouse enclosure that will deliver the bottom end and add life to any live playing situation. It is a slugger as a stand-alone cabinet that turns massive when stacking two together.

The Cab 67 has six proprietary PJB seven inch drivers along with a three inch tweeter that together deliver a full dynamic range, perfect for any working or jamming bassist. It is crafted with robust internal bracing resulting in an extremely solid and roadworthy cabinet with built-in casters that make transporting a breeze. The bottom end is rich and punchy but never “boomy” and has a flat frequency response so any bass will sound accurately true.

Built in wheel wells and a recessed handle make the Cab 67 a snap to stack on top of one another. While it is a stellar performer with any bass amplifier the PJB BP-800 head is the perfect sonic complement to this cabinet. The potential shock wave created by two Cab 67’s and a BP-800 stacked together will exhilarate any playing situation yet, amazingly, stands only 54 inches tall!

Additional specifications for the Cab 67: Soft Cover included, Frequency response 30 Hz -25Khz, Power handling 500 Watts, Impedance 8 ohms, Weight 50 lbs, Dimensions (inches) 16.4 W x 12.6 D 27.2 H, three recessed handles, and four Heavy Duty Casters.

Established in 2002, PJB and AIRPULSE Guitar Amps are divisions of Phil Jones American Acoustic Development. PJB is dedicated to using the latest technology in the design of compact bass amps, combos and loudspeakers that achieve maximum fidelity and peak volume. PJB’s accessories category includes effects pedals and bass strings. Phil Jones owns several patents for loudspeaker technology.

www.pjbworld.com

CAB-67-3quarter.jpg
    CAB-67jazz5-1.jpg CAB-67jazz5-2.jpg CAB-67burst1.jpg CAB-67burst2.jpg CAB-67burst3.jpg CAB-67-3quarter.jpg CAB-67front.jpg CAB-67top.jpg CAB-67back.jpg

chupacerveza, B-Lo, mb94952 and 5 others like this.
  2. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Yes!

Only issues I see may be the handle in middle of the top, along with the wheel wells for stacking can make it tough to sit some amps on top. A handle along the back edge would've been preferable, I think.

Can't tell if the inputs are the dual type that also accept 1/4". Love PJB gear, but can't get into Speak-On only connectors.

Lammchop93 likes this.
  3. donahue

donahue Supporting Member

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Hmmm. It would be really cool if they came in a 4 ohm version with a clean flat top? Having one at 4ohms would be really compact and convenient, while two, imo, takes away from all the compactness and convenience of a small, portable, powerful cab. I will say its the most intimidating compact cab I have seen, but kind of misses the point, being 8ohms and overly set up for stacking.

4. burgerdj

burgerdj

Dec 4, 2006
    I’d be all over this, but that handle on the top is really problematic. If you really need to have a top handle, it should be angled into the rear so as to provide a flat surface for the amp.

SirMjac28 and StayLow like this.
  5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin Estimator Extraordinaire Supporting Member

May 13, 2015
    Greenville, NC
    Est Street Price is $799.99.

6. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    That’s not bad at all. They really need to make a 4ohm stand-alone version though. I can’t stress that enough. Some folks just want “a” small compact cab. I’m really all about this because I’m looking for a small, powerful and somewhat unique cab, but it needs to be 4ohm so I can harness the full power from my amp and grab it with one hand. :)

bassically_eli, cdef and StayLow like this.
  7. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    We could think of it as a high-end version of the Ampeg 210AV cab?

The $800 street price seems excellent.

If the stuff on top was at least recessed, including the screws, that'd help. Overall that top surface just doesn't look like the usual PJB quality.

I used to be all about the 4 Ohm single cab vs. 8 Ohm, but in truth a doubling of watts is only an extra 3 dB of sound and in the real world where I've swapped 4 and 8 Ohm speakers in my single cab solutions I can't tell an appreciable difference.

LowWay, HolmeBass, Bahjark and 3 others like this.
  8. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    Im sometimes working with a little as 100 tube watts and I need all the clean headroom I can get. 3 dbs of clean volume can be a considerable amount imo.

StayLow likes this.
  9. donahue

Jun 10, 2015
    Oregon
    I kind of thought this thread would have a little more traffic. It’s early yet. Does PJB ever chime in on TB? I really don’t know too much about PJB. Just the basics. The ad on TB totally worked on me and is what drew me in.

10. StayLow

StayLow

Mar 14, 2008
    Perhaps if it were in the Amps forum.

I think there's a PJB sales rep that posts on this site.

11. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Drivers slowly gaining girth....maybe we'll see some 10's in a few years ;)

mb94952 likes this.
  12. wow - that's nice. I haven't GAS-ed for a cab in a while, but this has my attention.

13. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    50lbs? too heavy.

14. Honkey tonk

Honkey tonk Turn it up Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2019
    Lower 48
    Looks designed for the use with 2 cabs .
    wonder if they sell a top and bottom cab

Last edited: Dec 8, 2020
  15. MeLikeBass

MeLikeBass Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    50lbs? works for me

DrMole and mb94952 like this.
  16. mb94952

mb94952 Endorsing Artist : SFARZO STRINGS Supporting Member

Wow, this cab is gorgeous. To me, it would seem to be the only possible cab that would take me away from my SWR 610, but I doubt it :)
    I think the handle on top that everyone is complaining about, the elephant in the room, is probably a statement by PJB to say "Our cab is so light we put a handle in the middle."
    I must say I'm intrigued and now being a 50 something gigging bassist, it is appealing.

17. LowG

LowG

Dec 8, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    I thought tube amps put out the same power at all ohms (at least that they have taps for, of course) and only SS amps vary depending on the load?

18. Loring

Loring

May 4, 2017
    Ontario
    You might want to check out the genzler BA cabs. Lighter than these and the array concept really makes them shine.

I like the idea of the small 7” drivers but if they weigh 50%more don’t have greater output and don’t offer anything better sonically - then I’m off to a 10 or 12” driver. Worth checking out also.

love PJB stuff but I’m liking their small combos more...

xbud and mb94952 like this.
  19. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Meh. Thanks but no thanks....I'll take a 212. More smaller drivers = a higher ratio of metal to paper with unnecessary weight and complexity and no real advantage unless you gotta have the esoteric look. I have owned PJB 9B, suitcase/ suitcase extension......all now gone.......all heavier, at least as expensive and not better sounding or as loud as similarly priced offerings IME . I kept the Double 4 though....the tiny drivers are the bomb when small overall size is the prime directive. My D4 fits in a carry on bag.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2020
  20. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    I have the earlier PJB C8, with 8x5" drivers and inbuilt backside trolley. More compact, easily transportable, and very loud - probably all I'm going to need in the hereafter. Agree about the ohmage.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 16, 2021