Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones Bass Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gwx014, Jan 23, 2006.

1. gwx014

gwx014

Dec 22, 2005
  2. There's a review in BP in last month's issue. I've played the Briefcase briefly (Tom Bowlus's), and it's nice for very low volume practicing, etc.

I owned the 500 head for a short while and didn't like it at all (it's actually the only piece of gear I have ever returned for a refund within the trial period).... extremely heavy, compressed low end IMO, although very high build quality.

The cabs weigh a TON and most of the rap on them is that the design concept seems flawed.... i.e., all the magnets combined results in a very heavy cab that does not seem to outperform high quality, more traditionally designed cabs (of course, as always, IMO.. and based on limited experience with the cabs)

3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    I've played the 9B cabinet with an SWR head and also the Briefcase. Consensus on the Briefcase among everyone who's played it - great tone, heavy for the size, not enough volume for most situations. I used it in a pit for "Working," which is drums, guitar, two keyboards, and bass. Worked fine for that, but much beyond that, probably not. Sounded great down to B on my old GT-7.

The 9B is a cool cabinet, about the size of a small 1x15 but weighs more than half again of it. Seventy-five pounds, if I remember. The tone was cool, but not out of this world, have to buy this cabinet cool. Basically, it sounds like all of the other cabinets today that are going for "flat response." That said, it was LOUD, and it was neat to watch pretty much the whole baffle board jump when you were playing down low.

4. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    I've owned an m500 head and 6T and 9B cabinets for a few months. My experience has been very different. I think the individual units work beautifully together...excellent natural highs (without a tweeter) and a bass that is quite good to my ears, not exaggerated at the expense of midrange. I'm thrilled with the clarity of this rig...I hear nuances in my tone that I didn't with previous rigs.

I've tried the head with another cabinet (aguilar s410) and didn't think it sounded that great (the lows were fine, it just wasn't that loud). Similarly, a Demeter/Crest combination didn't sound so hot through the cabinets (good, but I preferred the m500).

It seems to me like PJB stuff works really well as a system, but players have less luck adding units to their already existing rigs. YMMV. It is heavy, but so was my old rig, and it's small enough that it's not too awkward. Maybe sometime in the future I'll want ultralight stuff, but that's out of my range right now (if I don't want to sacrifice tone).

All IMO.

Marshall

5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Oh yeah, here's the bass player review of the m500 with the big 8t and 24b cabinets:
    http://www.bassplayer.com/story.asp?sectioncode=13&storycode=11951

Maybe not super helpful since you asked about the 6t and 9b. Agreed that the blue light is awfully bright. Haven't noticed the EQ sliders being flimsy.

IRRC, Al Caldwell uses a PJB rig also.

M

6. Very good point, and to be clear with my impressions, I was playing the 500 out of a couple 'traditional cabs'. The 500 might be voiced so strangely (coming out of a traditional cab) to take advantage of the unique design of those small speakers in his cab. That being said... my god these things weigh a ton! However, I guess if you want a unique rig and don't mind the weight, they are worth looking in to.

7. I'll bump this thread because I'm interested.

Anyone have experience with the 6 pak? How much wattage does the head put out into that 12 ohm :)confused: ) cab?

8. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    I wonder how much the tube head weighs :eek:

9. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    Say's it's 110lbs. from his website. So not too much more than a classic 400, but those are beyond ridicously heavy, atleast for my back anyway. ;)

10. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    They're preamp looks interesting.