1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass Cub-Giggable?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bignote, Mar 31, 2013.

1. bignote

bignote

May 27, 2006
    Okinawa, Japan
    Hey all,
    I am considering one of these. I play in a blues band, small kit drummer,two guitars, harp. I am in Okinawa and the clubs are very small. My questions is, If I have PA support. Could I gig with this in this format and be satisfied? If anyone has any ideas or comments about this amp, please let me know. Thanks

2. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Very possibly; it depends on your PA support and how polite your stage volume is. I have a Bass Cub and have used it for a lot of different gigs (37 piece orchestra, folk group with two acoustic guitars), but I think it may be pushing it for a blues band. Plus side is that you could put it up close to your head, so you could hear it better that way, but it's still a small amp for your situation.

I would go either up to the PJB Suitcase (4x5, 200w) or even the Flightcase. Both of those have a little more "oomph!" that would help support you onstage.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    With a PA anything is possible. I do gigs sometimes with a little 35w Ampeg practice amp.

4. I tried a Bass Cub and I didn't think it was gig-worthy at all and returned it. Now I know it's a practice amp and was never designed for a Deep Purple concert, but I had thought maybe I could use it for quiet community theater musicals. In reality, it was only good for practicing at home at television volume.

But some people have used the Cubs for that very application. So I sometimes wonder if mine was a lemon.

I also wonder how the Suitcase compares to it. Through the internal 8ohm speaker, the Suitcase puts out 200 watts (double the 100 watts of the Cub). Is it only 3db louder?

5. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    It's possible. Its not the loudest amp in my stable, but I've definitely used it in theatres.

The Suitcase has two big advantages on the Cub. The first is that in addition to the higher wattage, it has four speakers instead of two, which will make a bigger difference. Second, the Suitcase uses the Piranha speakers, which have a much bigger presence and punch to them over the NeoPower ones in the Cub. It's noticeably louder and is the amp I'll pull out on bigger, electric bass theatre gigs.

The downside is that the Suitcase is quite heavy, and the carrying handles aren't in a good spot, making it a little cumbersome to move at times.

6. How does the Cub's compressor work for you? I could only get the blue activity light to flicker when the threshold was set all the way down (max) and everything else turned way up. It seemed more like a protective limiter than a leveling aid. That's one of the things that made me feel something might not be 100% right. Yet the XLR out was really hot. So I don't know.

7. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    If you're looking for a compressor that will make a fairly large impression on your sound, none of the PJB comps have it. They're really limiters that have a subtle feel at best when maxed. I use it at 3 o'clock normally (about a quarter up from MIN), and it adds just a little bit of smoothness, but nothing major at all. At most, I run the limiter around half for my fretless, and it "tames" that sound a little bit.

8. I do prefer subtle compression that doesn't really sound like an effect but rather just aids in keeping the bass level in the mix. But I was surprised that the activity light didn't show any activity unless the threshold was full down, the tone stack was cranked, and I beat the strings silly. Does your 3:00 setting register anything on the light?

9. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Every now and again when I really hit a string. Otherwise, you don't see the light register that much.

10. jacksplat

jacksplat

Nov 30, 2009
    Canada
    i have a flightcase not a cub, but as others said here, i don't think it will cut it with a blues band. my flightcase is great in my acoustic trio even with an added percussionist, but it does not cut it with my roots rock ensemble. the sound is great, but it cannot keep up with a drummer and two guitars.

now a suitcase with extension cabs... that is nice and loud. however, it is also quite expensive...

11. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    If the OP was considering a modular option, you could always get either the Bass Cub, Flightcase or Super Flightcase and then the PB-300, which is a powered speaker for the amp to sit on top of. It would give you the best of both portability, and sound when you needed it. I know a couple of TB'ers use the PB-300 in this capacity.

PJB - PB 300 Powered Speaker

12. TimBosby

TimBosby Gold Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Omaha, NE, USA
    I have a Bass Cub for sale right now. It's a sweet little amp. I've never gigged with it and never intended to. I imagine it would be fine in a coffee house type situation. It could probably handle a drummer using brushes and a jazz guitarist.

Really it's the world's finest coffee house / home practice amp. It sounds fantastic.