1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Bass Has *Two* Websites! ARRGGHH!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by selowitch, Nov 5, 2018.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    *COMMENCE RANT*

It is really confusing having two Phil Jones websites out there, www.philjonesbass.com and www.pjbworld.com, the latter of which is the "official" site. They both turn up in the results of search engine queries. The URL philjonesbass.com seems like a much more intuitive name than pjbworld.com but since they have apparently decided on the latter, why the heck doesn't the former redirect to the latter? Why is the former site still up? Without talking to anybody at Phil Jones, I can only conclude that their web presence is a bit of mess—and it drives me BONKERS!

I have difficulty imagining that this is the result of coherent Internet marketing strategy but is instead the thing I see in a lot of small businesses where when it comes to the Internet ... they either don't care or are blissfully unaware of the possible consequences of such sloppiness.

fhm555, mikewalker and Pbassmanca like this.
  2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Probably in the process of transitioning to the new one.

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Clearly.
    But in my opinion it is not being done the right way and it is confusing customers (or at least it is confusing one customer—namely me).

Pbassmanca and two fingers like this.
  4. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I am somewhat restating the original post here, but if you will indulge me:
    1. Why would you pick pjbworld over philjonesbass? The latter is so much friendlier/intuitive.
    2. Why would you allow the previous site to still exist and pop up in search engine result pages (SERPs)?
    3. Redirects are easy to do and very common. http://www.pjbword.com/ should redirect to Bass Products – Bass Products and that's a no-brainer.
    I just find this level of sloppiness to be upsetting in part because I am a big fan of the company and its products (and I own and use them).

5. bobba66

bobba66

May 18, 2006
    Arlington, Texas
    Don't let it get you down.:woot:

Hand slap, Spectrum, AYC and 3 others like this.
  6. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

This is what I get going to www.philjonesbass.com. It is clear that they have a new site, but you're right that it's not done properly, either have the new address a live link, or just redirect. It looks to me like they're doing their own web design and probably don't have the wherewithal to do either of those things.

The new site definitely has a template feel to me, making me think they went to a new host service that has lots of DIY operations, but they certainly could keep the same domain name, unless they feel the word "bass" pigeon-holes their business too much. I'm pretty sure I'm going to NAMM this year, I'll ask at their booth.

Screen Shot 2018-11-05 at 11.55 PM.

selowitch likes this.
  7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    A redirect in which philjonesbass.com redirects to pjbworld.com is easily accomplished with a few lines of code in the .htaccess file on the root directory of their website. It's a rather basic technique.
    I feel bad for them because it's a really great company that makes amazing bass amps and such but this is not a good look for them and their website is an important tool for spreading the word to new customers.

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Cue Neil Young.

9. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Will the real Phil Jones crank up?

Sorry, just had to.

By the way, having been able to play a couple smaller PJB amps with the addition of one of their extention cabinets sounded really, really good. I could easily see buying his gear with the surplus cash in hand.

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I would love to know what the sound differences between the powered and unpowered cabinets would be.

somebrains likes this.
  11. Fab Superlative

Fab Superlative

Oct 12, 2006
    Metro Motown
    The Truth Is Out There
    It's only URL's churning...

blip, SteveBass5, pjcarman and 2 others like this.
  12. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    I'm not the one to ask, sadly. It's been awhile since I played them. All I remember is they sounded good with my 6 string Bongo. The B string sounded clear and deep and the top end wasn't harsh or sharp. The low end was the steak and the top end was the sizzle! It would be a fine amp for situations where you don't to be loud but heard.

13. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick, Mesa Boogie, Joyo, Dr. J, Levy's Leathers
    In my 20 years of experience, it seems that many of the companies with the best products (in my opinion of course) have some of the worst websites. LoL

nbsipics, bjelkeman, gepettus and 2 others like this.
  14. thewildest

thewildest

May 25, 2011
    Montreal
    I undecided... should I suggest the OP to reconsider and size the level of anger proportionally to the issue?

Or should I just encourage taking this closer to the boiling point, and suggest that further measures be taken against PJ for the incommensurable painful experience he inflicts upon the OP?

Flooflox, Inara and AYC like this.
  15. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    seems pretty straight forward to me...Phil Jones doesn't want to be put in the box as just a bass amplification company. Remember when "Apple" was called "Apple Computers"...similar thing. Why would you buy an mp3 player or a tv from a computer company...but then again, why would you buy anything from a fruit?

16. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Yep, crappy marketing idea. I will echo the sentiment that many great products have terrible marketing though. Honestly, hire a kid fresh out of design school that wants to get some marketing cred and have them redirect your old website to the new one. While they're at it, have them design some snazzy graphics and a usable menu and viola...instant quality website. All this for a few cups of ramen and some positive reference material.

somebrains likes this.
  17. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

I design websites but only use a graphic design app on my Mac that outputs for the web, I don't know any code so what you say is completely over my head and I couldn't do it. But I do have the wherewithal to use a link on the old site to go to the new one, and even setup a domain name redirect at the server settings.

Because for me, a Mac is the best computer system I've ever used, and I've used Windows. I say that just about me, I would never dictate to anyone else what they should and shouldn't use, or denigrate one system over another.

18. BMGecko

BMGecko

Sep 5, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    And if you need a band for a party, get a local band just starting up. They can be paid in keg beer and salted peanuts in payment for years of blood, sweat and tears.

Hey Goose, meet Gander!

19. Cowboy in Latvia

Cowboy in Latvia

Mar 1, 2015
    Unlike your example, most design students can bang out a great basic website in an afternoon. It's what you can expect from most reputable schools now.

Startup bands however, generally suck. Only met one who didn't and it made a bit of headway on the music scene in the adjacent states, no further.

So your comparison is more like "Orange, meet apple".

20. cazclocker

cazclocker My social skills are rapidly dwindling.

Oct 24, 2014
    Newton, Kansas
    pjbworld.com is just stoopid. I look at it, and I think it's going to be my portal to everything about peanut jelly and butter sammiches.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018