1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Bass Introduces the Bighead Pro Headphone Amp / Digital Audio Interface

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Dec 7, 2018.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    PJB has introduced a high performance multi-function headphone amplifier/digital audio interface: the BIGHEAD PRO (Model HA-2). The HA-2 is the second model in the Bighead series and is a step up model of the popular HA-1 Bighead with added technology and features. The HA-2 is a high resolution USB audio interface that supports PCM playback with up to 384 KHz sample rate/24 bit resolution. On DSD playback, sample rates of 2.822MHzand 5.644 MHz are supported, making it the ideal choice for musicians and engineers that desire high performance and the purest sound quality.

It is a rechargeable lithium ion dynamo that is ideal for use in practice or recording situations. It also functions as a headphone booster amp as well as a pre amp to drive powered amplifiers. The HA-2 has both passive and active instrument inputs with a 2 band EQ that is ideal for guitar and bass, yet versatile enough for use with other instruments.

Other features include Master Volume, Input Gain, Treble/Bass for instrument input signal, Headphone jack, Line out, Input, AUX input, Micro USB for battery charge and digital interface, Frequency response of 10Hz-40KHz. The dimensions are (WxDxH) 3”x5.9”x0.9” and it weighs 0.6 lbs. A Soft bag, Micro USB cable and 3.5 Jack Stereo Signal Cable are included. The street price is $359.

Established in 2002, PJB and AIRPULSE Guitar Amps are divisions of Phil Jones American Acoustic Development. PJB is dedicated to using the latest technology in the design of compact bass amps and loudspeakers that achieve highest in fidelity and volume. Phil Jones owns several patents for loudspeaker technology.

Phil Jones Bighead Pro.
    HA2 Top (002).JPG HA2 back.JPG HA2 Angle 3.JPG HA2 Angle 2.JPG Phil Jones Bighead Pro.

2. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Could you send line-level unbalanced stereo from a mixing console to the Aux input? If so, this would be very useful for a wired IEM application.

Jazzish likes this.
  3. The original bighead could can receive mixing console unbalanced stereo.
    So it would be a shame if it can't.

4. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I don't see a need for it, any small mixer can give you much more options.

5. sawzalot

sawzalot Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2007
    Nice thing for a recording interface, great sample rate, good features, but a too pricey for me. For a purist maybe. The manual on the phil jones site says the aux in is stereo.

6. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Where can I order one of these things?

BryanB likes this.
  7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Will "any" small mixer have a recording interface? I doubt it. And even those that do may not have the same resolution as the HA-2.

Plucky The Bassist likes this.
  8. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Anyway - too much money for this.

9. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Perhaps so. Freda Jones e-mailed me this morning to say that this unit won't be available until mid-January.
    If you wanted similar functionality in a cheaper unit or units, what would you buy instead?
    The fact that this thing is pretty small and quite light is also a factor.

10. bonin in the boneyard

bonin in the boneyard Supporting Member

I had the original Big Head for years and it was great. I attached an iPod to it and used it as practice rig on the go that I could throw in the case or a laptop bag, and mount to my shoulder strap when playing. When I was traveling for work a lot, I also got into the habit of using it as a headphone amplifier for my laptop and tablet. Personal electronics don't really give you the oomph you need to hear movies/TV shows over the background noise of a train or bus (especially if you want to crank the bass), so having the Big Head boosting the signal really made a difference. But I don't travel for work any more, and at home I do headphone practice through my audio interface or regular amp, so I eventually sold it.

The new Big Head may be a niche product, but I'm sure it will sound incredible, be built like a tank, and be highly functional/usable.

Also, as an engineer, something appeals to me about a company like PJB that spends so much of its efforts on development and so little on marketing. Everything about their gear screams no compromises. I still have my Bass Cub and will probably never part with it.

11. LoTone

LoTone Clean as an Entwistle... Gold Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2010
    Quebec, Canada
    Quality comes at a price. PJB stuff is stellar. I have their headphones and a Bass Buddy. It oozes with quality.

Runlikegregg and Brian Reihms like this.
  12. Bikingbasser

Bikingbasser

Oct 2, 2018
    LaSalle
    Man, if this could be used as an interface for my iPad, color me interested.

selowitch likes this.
  13. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    It probably could with the correct adapter.

Bikingbasser likes this.
  14. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    The highest sample rate for the HA-2 is 96Khz while the interface on the Fender Rumble Studio 40 is only 48KHz.
    What practical difference that would make I am not sure.

15. pjb15

pjb15 Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Verona. NJ
    Glad this one has a 1/4 output, The only disadvantage of the HA1. Super little tool though.

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  16. I hear most pro recording engineers are still using 48khz unless the client requests otherwise. Apparently the higher sample rate isn't worth the storage space? The HA-2 quotes up to 384khz... Thats a higher sample rate than my focusrite scarlet interface is capable of.
    So my question is:
    How would a super high sample rates be useful? I don't recall ever using higher than 96khz.

17. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, sample rates have diminishing returns. 48kHz adds extra headroom that gives clarity to DSP handling of frequencies at the high end of the audible range, and supposedly 96kHz adds even more (by being able to process audio frequencies up to over 45kHz (??))... but the digital arms race has been escalating faster than real-world applications can react, and it's becoming clearer that 99.9% of musicians have zero use for 192kHz sample rate, and not many more even need 96kHz.

Studios that record classical music probably make the most use of such technology, but I'm not sure about anyone else, heh.

bonin in the boneyard likes this.
  18. BryanB

BryanB Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

As I understand it, 48k is good for stereo tracks on video, 44.1 is good for general stereo recording, 96 is best for UHD video where the folio sounds can really go to the very limits of human hearing. I am not sure who uses 192 on a regular basis. I think everyone agrees 24 bit is way better than 16.

19. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    it doesn't - you need the usb to be powered so the lightening input doesn't work.

Bikingbasser and selowitch like this.
  20. Runlikegregg

Runlikegregg

Dec 31, 2011
    Brooklyn
    I have the first version and these are great little amps. For me it is the best headphone amp I've had/heard. the tone is great, but it's the battery and noiselessness that I like best.