1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    T- 500 | EICH Amps | Schroeder Cabinets | Bass Cabinets | California

10.7" x 1.6" x 8.3"
    3.28 lbs

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think he was looking for a spesker as well to fit the bin. The MAS18 almost fits. My 2 16s prolly fit, but they're not 500w, they only sound like it.

3. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Technical question about the FlightCase BG-150:

The specifications page in the manual says it includes a Low Cut Filter: 24dB/Octave at 40Hz. With that steep slope, it sounds like what most people on TalkBass call a High Pass Filter.

Does this feature work only when using the BG-150's preamp? I'm using an external Noble tube preamp into the BG-150 FX Return jack. Does the feature also work with just the power amp?

4. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    Not sure if this had been asked before, this is a long thread!

I've been a long time user of the Bighead and it's the quietest (in terms of noise) and loudest (in terms of volume) headphone amp I've ever used.

I recently picked up a Double Four, thinking it may be able to replace my Bighead (battery power and USB audio isn't essential). However through the Double Four I get a high pitched whine through the headphone output. It's the kind of high frequency that many people cannot hear well or don't notice, but I'm sensitive to it and it renders it unusable for me.

So, question - is this likely to be coming from my power supply and potentially go away if I get a new one or try battery power? Or is it a known design flaw or potential fault?

5. Low Cut = HPF (High Pass Filter)

Zbysek, Ukiah Bass and Stumbo like this.
  6. velalv

velalv Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Woodbridge, VA
    So. I am thinking about getting a Phil Jones Bass Pulse One amp head to replace my GK MB 500 head. I'm playing a Musicman Bongo with DR Hi Beams and a Mahogany bodied Martin acoustic with TI Flats through my Berg CN 112. I currently have a Phil Jones Double Four (D4) and I am in love with it, and it provides great transparency for my radically different basses. The GK gets there, but not 100 percent as it has a very forward sound. Would changing to this help? Would you change the Berg for a Phil Jones? I play mainly in church, and use the D4 for small jams.

7. basssalad

basssalad Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Portland, Oregon
    C4 will fit in the over head. Get another person to take another one. Two C4s will be great!

Dan Bates likes this.
  8. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Cant compare with GK, but I really like my D400 w/ non-pjb speaks. No fan, very low noise floor, natural sound.

velalv likes this.
  9. Dan Bates

Dan Bates

Dec 18, 2017
    I have been using my Clarus 2R for many years with many different cabinets. Last night we played outdoors and I unplugged my 2X10 Cab and ran the Clarus only into my C4 cab. My drummer commented "Lots of low end tonight" and when I told him "It's just the little cab he looked at me dumbfounded. I ran a TC Electronic Hypergravity compressor off the send and receive. I set it for the 3 band compression, small amount of sustain, quick attack, 50/50 blend and was blown away. It was so clean and articulate and it kept up fine volume wise with the drummer and guitar player. I set the high pass at about 75 cycles, set the bass at 2 o'clock and the mids and highs at 10 o'clock. I'm excited because I can't believe that I have such a small cabinet for bass. We play 2 to 4 gigs a week and it's going to be much easier :)

10. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Would like to hear anyone’s experience with PJ tech support. My double 4 cuts in and out, sounds fine for a few minutes and then goes silent (power light is still on). Same thing with headphones.

Emailed PJ tech support a few days ago, no response. Do I need to call them? Anyone here get response from them on email? Thanks for your help!

11. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2005
    C470, CO

Same here. Sent my M500 head in about 6 months ago for a tuneup. Great communication and turn around time and final cost was a lot less than anticipated. Stephen did a great job of keeping me in the loop with any option/decision that needed to be made.

cavemanbass likes this.
  12. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I would try the phone

cavemanbass likes this.
  13. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Are you using an external battery? When I bought my Double 4, PJ recommended a specific battery to use, but I saw a higher milliamp one that I bought. It kept cutting out on me, so I called PJ and his wife answered and told me they only recommend the one battery. The one I bought had a special circuit in it that cut off when the draw was high. Then I bought the recommended battery and used it for a few months without a problem when suddenly it would not give me the volume it used to. Turns out I had inadvertently moved the volt switch from 19 to 16.

LarryBama and Jeff Elkins like this.
  14. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Thanks, but it cuts out every when using the factory power supply

15. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    What is the matching amp for the C8 Lite?
    I'd expect the D-1000, but the D-1000 wants to see 8 ohms and the C8 is 4 ohms.

16. coyoteboy

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Im sure the D-1000 is fine w/ 4ohms? Where did you see "wants to see 8ohms"?

17. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    Phil answered this. I was looking at an old C8 cab. They used to be 4 ohm, now they are 8 ohm and the D-1000 is the matching amp.

coyoteboy and Morrighan like this.
  18. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I'm shopping for a new C8 Lite cab and D-1000 amp...

All the dealers have the exact same price?

19. fritzk9

fritzk9 Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Indianapolis, IN
    Hey PJB'ers,

I am seriously considering purchasing a PJB small combo, either a Session 77 or BG100 CUB, sight and sound unseen (outside of the Youtube videos). I play fretless 5-string bass in lower-volume trio settings (quiet drummer), and I believe that both would provide enough volume output. Given the choice between a Session 77 and a $150 in your pocket, or a BG100, which one would you choose? I understand that the BG100 has a DI out, and the 77 line out could be connected to a DI box.

Any thoughts would be welcomed. Thanks!