1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I have a PJB Cub 100 and love it, it comes with a real nice gig bag and has 2 channels , I take mine to jams all the time, they both have 100 watts and sound great, it might be worth a trip to Chicago Music Exchange and try them out

fritzk9 and Morrighan like this.
  2. fritzk9

fritzk9 Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Indianapolis, IN
    Thanks for the info! I also saw that the BG100 is a class A/B amplifier (analog), and the Session 77 is a class D amp. The class A and A/B amplifiers are more accurate at sound reproduction than class D, but at a cost. It probably explains why there's a cost difference between the two (the nature of the beast).

3. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I wish I understood this.

For one thing, they are all digital, unless there are tubes. Or is that wrong?
    I'm guessing you mean the A/B amp divides the tone into many more much smaller pieces before processing it digitally, causing much more processing overhead but also much more accurate sound reproduction. It's still digital but it's much like analog.

It seems odd to choose class D amps if that's true. PJB is all about accurate reproduction, using the efficient chip instead of the accurate chip doesn't seem in line with that philosophy. I'm guessing the difference is very small.

4. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Class D =/= digital.

5. fritzk9

fritzk9 Supporting Member

May 11, 2005
    Indianapolis, IN
    Yes, and there are amplifiers that are not tube-based that are also not digital (they're solid-state and use transistors instead of tubes). The "class" denotes the method for amplifying the input signal. Class "A" has the least distortion (what goes in is what goes out, but amplified), but isn't the most efficient (takes a lot of power, is more expensive); Class "B" produces more distortion than class "A" but is more efficient; Class "AB" is a combination of both class A and B. Class "D" (digital) is relatively new in the grand scheme of things, and is found in a lot of the newer, smaller amplifiers. There's a good write-up of these amplifier classifications on Wikipedia: Power amplifier classes - Wikipedia

6. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Finally took the plunge.... IMG_20180420_154115.

7. Adam Booker

Adam Booker Supporting Member

May 3, 2007
    Boone, NC
    Endorsing Artist: D'Addario Strings, Remic Microphones
    The mighty Double Four for that extra oomph in a wind ensemble gig last night. Remic through a Grace Felix doesn’t suck, either!

Attached Files:

porterbass and Jeff Elkins like this.
  8. Hi Wallower, I was just wondering if you got to the bottom of the clicking sound issue with the compressor .I haven't been using my compressor at all due to the clicking sound now for over a year .cheers

9. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    The compressor is the one disappointing thing about the Bass Buddy. When I bought mine I thought it was the same limiter feature found on all the combos, which I have always found to be brilliant, transparent, and super useful. Instead, I found that it's not the same circuit at all and have never been able to engage it without terrible sounding artifacts. It's the one thing on a PJB product that has always left me scratching my head.

nzscott likes this.
  10. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    Can't tell if serious.

Is that 16 neo, or 16 piranha?

And while I'm posting:
    Why does my 300 W SVT sound so much louder than my 500 W PJB 6 Pak/9B?
    I play with the SVT barely cracked open to 1. PJB is almost maxed in the same room.

11. Hi Chris , yes very disappointing re the compressor , I have the briefcase combo and I am only assuming that the bass buddy and the briefcase share the same component's , I guess the only benefit of having a poor quality compressor for me is that it has made me tighten up my playing ,I now set the EQ on my briefcase to a flat/central position and use a sansamp paradriver as the preamp and ad some of the drive effect which the paradriver has to add a small amount of a compression type effect .

Morrighan likes this.
  12. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    two C8's (16 piranha) and that's just my PJB Cub 100 setting on top (my large Ear Box)

13. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    Does two C4 sounds like one C8(if loaded with same speakers)?

14. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    comparison shopping for exactly that, somewhere I ran across specs that boiled down to "low end freq response C8 is 25 Hz, low end C4 Lite is 35 Hz (above low B). So I'd expect some difference in the lowest end. Have not compared them, though, so unknown.

15. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I used one of my C8's tonight, job well done! 100_1493.JPG

Chris Fitzgerald and Jeff Elkins like this.
  16. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    Nice!

The ties that bind... I get notifications from a few threads I follow, and this one often gets me confused. This post made me pause... is it my PJB thread or my Aerodyne thread?

Not too long ago it was PJB or Rob Allen basses...

Clearly, Phil Jones for the win.

17. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    So 4 ohm cabs? That's a monster rig.

I'm looking at the 4 ohm C8 paired with a D1000 amp with the goal of "a small SVT I can fly with."

18. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    Does new PJB lineup c9, c8, c4 is loaded with neo-black speakers, and c8 lite and c4 lite is loaded with piranhias?

19. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I'm pretty sure that all the "lite" versions are neo and none of the lite versions are piranha.

I don't know what "neo-black" is though.

20. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    Phil Jones made some new driver with black membrane and chrome dome.

I just want to know how many 5" drivers from PJB there is on a market? There was allways piranha and neo. And then those new black chrome dome came in. we can see them in new C4 and C9.

31180274_1744684012291323_5609731247153610752_n.