1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I am about to purchase a 4 ohm C8 Piranha and matching D1000.
    I intend to fly with this rig so space is important. The C8 is the biggest cabinet I can fit into an airliner.

Would you please comment on this configuration vs D1000 with two 8 ohm C8s?
    I've read that dual cabinets will "move more air" and therefore sound louder. Also less stress on the rig.
    I always prefer piranha but with two cabinets maybe I don't care.

My opinion is: dual cabs would be a little better, but one 4 ohm cab will work fine and much less hassle for flying.

2. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    According to PJB FB site 4Ohm C8 are while stocks last. They are making now 8Ohm C8.

Are You saying that 4Ohm version was made with piranha drivers and new 8Ohm are made with Chrome Dome 5A drivers?

3. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    Freda has my name on a 4 ohm C8 piranha. Shopping for a dealer now.

I don't know anything about the new version cabs. I thought they are either neo or piranha.

4. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    ON FB PJB posted
    "We are proud to announce that by popular demand, the PJB Compact 8 (C8) is now 8 ohms.

*The 4 ohm version is still available while supplies last."

the pjbworld site is very misleading. The photo there is with similar drivers as C9 and they are Chrome Dome 5A drivers.

5. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    Phil Jones confirmed via FB that new 8Ohm C4 and 8Ohm C8 are all equiped with new Chrome Dome 5A drivers :D

LowBstring likes this.
  6. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Compliment from the sound guy @ local festival. He said the di from my D-400 was the cleanest, quietest, best sounding direct bass signal hes ever heard.

7. wagdog

wagdog Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Waiting for the bus
    Has anyone had any personal experience with the 7" speakers? I'd love to know how they compare to the 5" speakers in terms of clarity and response. And the new C-27 seems like it would compete with the C-4 at a lower price point.

8. Asr4

Asr4

Oct 30, 2017
    If you want both a compressor and a good preamp, you may try to take look at Vintage Revolution Acoustic Box II.
    The comp. is _really_ good, and the preamp, designed for acoustic instruments, manages a miking entry (with +48V) and a piezzo (with high Q parametric) entry.
    I use it on my upright, as it is a nightmare to amplify on small to medium stages, but it may be used too with any electric / electro-acoustic bass, even with magnetic coills.

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  9. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2005
    C470, CO
    I have C4, C8, and a Session 77.
    I find the 7’s to be slightly warmer but still articulate.
    C4 should be louder while C8 is definitely louder.

phillipkregg likes this.
  10. phillipkregg

phillipkregg Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    I've got 2 C4 cabs and a D-400 head and that's a super loud, punchy and warm mini-stack.

That combination has been plenty loud enough for medium sized venues and I've never had to turn it more than halfway up, but those 2 cabs together - at 4 Ohms - should be able to handle 800 watts and I don't doubt it could handle it without issue.

11. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    What did you decide on? I am also debating merits of Session 77 versus BG100 Cub. I think DI is a plus.

12. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I just bought a cub. Tried it first time just now.

It sounds nice but when turned up it distorts, very unlike anything I've seen by PJB, and this is my 5th PJB rig. IMO, it's a practice amp or a low volume gig amp, nothing more. Could pair it with powered external, but if going that route I'd point you to the BG400 instead.

13. I play a American deluxe Jazz bass , I am sold on my sansamp para driver ...I'm looking at a GSS Baby Sumo AmpXlite bass/guitar power amp to power a The Trace Elliot ELF 1x10 cabinet post the sansamp paradriver for my go to practice/small venue rig ...no disrespect towards PJB ,I just like some useable power and dirt .will use my briefcase for my acoustic guitar amp ,which BTW sounds awesome through the briefcase ;)

14. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Sounds like something's wrong. I carried many a gig with my Cub. Call it in.

Edit: in point of fact it is a practice or small gig amp, 2 5's can only take one so far volume wise. That said, it shouldnt distort, and I was pleasantly surprised by how big it did sound on my smaller indoor gigs. One trick I discovered is to set it on an Ampwedge® on the floor. It helped the bass output. I had the center iec pin come loose on mine, with accompanying crackly sounds. Check into that perhaps.

Last edited: May 18, 2018
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    +1. My CUB gets tubby sounding when loud and needs to have the bass tamed, but I've never had it distort.

wagdog likes this.
  16. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    So just back off the bass a bit and you can crank it all the way up without distortion? Good to hear.

17. Or use it with a HPF?

Thinking hard on a CUB paired with a PB-100: a true micro-rig for micro gigs. It doesn't seem worth it to me to haul my full rig to the smallest rooms.

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I currently use it with a Sansamp Para Driver with the rumble switch engaged. Low end is controlled by the blend knob. A HPF also works.

19. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Those specs are for the cabs by themselves. If you stack two C4 cabs, it's going to change the total freq response.

20. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I was puzzling why this would be. It looks to me that Phil puts speakers in pairs (or triplets) and I would expect each pair to be acoustically identical. Post production coupling is a great explanation.