1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I believe that each individual Phil Jones cabinet is as close to acoustically identical to every other Phil Jones Cab of the same type as is possible to be. But cabinets interact with the environment around them, and if part of that environment includes another identical cab making a stack, the stack is going to function very much as if it is one speaker, including the greater freq range. More speaker surface area = lower freqs available.

2. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think the low frequencies get louder, but I dont think you get a lower frequency range, but then you kinda do, as lower frequencies come into the measurement spec range. Okay, my head hurts.

BlueTalon and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  3. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Hey, who all has compared the C4 Lite to the regular C4? Impressions? I do like the idea of 21 lbs but have not yet heard them.

4. Asr4

Asr4

Oct 30, 2017
    In fact, multiple HP sources can totally reproduce the acoustic image of a single source, and are really more accurate than a big huge source.
    - they saturate less than a single source ;
    - acoustic aberrations (such as distortions, similar to chromatic optical aberrations on the edge of lenses) are lowered ;
    - multiple sources are less sensible to environementa (less acoustical pressure <=> less reverberation, => less interferences and echoing).

To continue in the optical metaphor, let's imagine that the Very Large Telescope is the finest instrument on earth, and is composed of multiple telescopes producing a single image.
    iosono1.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
    Dan Bates, coyoteboy and LowBstring like this.
  5. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    My current PJB wall, revamped for air travel.

Shown is a bass buddy packed with a C4 in a Pelican 1637 flight case. The Pelican 1637 will fit a C6 and at under 62 linear inches it satisfies checked baggage limits. Two C4s (insured) and a D1000 (carry-on) are coming with me on vacation this year. Not shown is a 6-Pack/9B that is for sale.

rig.wall.pelican.

6. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    will that C8 fit in that Pelican flight case

7. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I was hoping, but no way to get a case that both fits that cab and with a total weight under the 70 lb limit. (C8 is 57.2 lbs, so the case can only be 12.8 lbs.) So C8s can't fly unless you ship it in the box it came in, but I can't do that. (If Thai authorities see it, and it looks new, they might tax it. So I've been warned.)

8. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    So would a c8 lite work - will it physically fit?.
    An option: Get a generic box and write on it and scratch through, etc - age it. Put peel off stickers all over the cab - like it is used for touring.

LowBstring likes this.
  9. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    Does not physically fit in that case, but there are larger cases that will fit it. You will exceed the free size limit but by paying for oversize you can get a very large case, up to 218 linear inches. You still can't exceed 70 lbs.

10. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    800W in insanely affordable price. PJB is making sth new.

33194594_1774370479322676_5423913077684830208_n.

coyoteboy likes this.
  11. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    YES! Finally getting to the competitive 800 watt market.

12. Jeff Elkins

Jeff Elkins Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2007
    East Tennessee
    What is it? I can’t find it on the site...!

13. LowBstring

LowBstring

Feb 12, 2011
    Maine
    I've thought to use the original shipping box. A thin layer of fiberglass in the corners and maybe on the speaker side (if there's weight), then paint the whole thing black. Not a reusable solution but it will get the C8 to Thailand once, and once is enough.

14. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    Phill Jones posted it on Facebook couple days ago, saying it will be in good price and has 800W.

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  15. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Yes, go to the PJB facebook site for what info is available. Not much info yet. I expect they will have a prototype at summer NAMM and shipping most probably this fall. I am supposed to see Phil Jones this next week and will see if he can provide more info.

Jeff Elkins likes this.
  16. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    off to a jam with my 2 C8s and it all fits behind the back seat of my Kia Soul 100_1495.JPG 100_1496.JPG

17. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    C47 users? Whatcha think? Anyone use a pair of them?

18. Does anyone know the difference in "sound/feeling/efficiëncy/true the mix" control of the new Chrome Dome 5A and the Piranha? I did read the story of the C9 on the pjb site. I don't have to know the theory, but real A/B test experience.

I'm from Holland so it's impossible for me to check them out.

I think there are more of us who like to know.

19. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    I spoke with Phil Jones today - Shipping in September. He is using the latest ICE module; this is a powerhouse amplifier module which retains "heft" not like the class D amps of yesterday. Phil & I talked amps & cabs & drivers for about an hour; heckuva nice guy!

BlueTalon and LowBstring like this.
  20. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    I have not personally compared them but I can tell you the new drivers are more efficient. By about 2 db. Which means it takes less amplifier power to get the same SPL. I am still waiting on C4/C8 but the Suitcase amp has these drivers and it does get loud for it's size and sounds quite balanced to my ears. The drivers also seem to take EQ well.