1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. Thanks for the reply bebass,

I’m interested in the new C8. I have the 4B now for a little while. I like the sound, but it is not loud enough with the bands that i play in. It distort a bit when i push it. And it’s a pretty big cab for a 4x5.

2. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    I have this nice collection of pjb stuff. Bass Cub and two pb-100's.

20180612_075247. 20180612_075242.

3. What's the bird's eye lowdown on a Bass Cub and PB100(s)? That is, what is its capacity in a live setting? Asking for a friend drool

4. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    I haven't gigged with this combination. In fact I haven't spent much time with it yet. Kids, work, etc. keep me busy. It seems pretty capable at home, but my guess is the whole thing is like one good 12" cab, but it cost quite a bit more.

It is pretty cool how modular it is. Take one to jam with an acoustic guitar, take two to jam with multiple people, or take three if you want to try keeping up with a drummer.

armybass and Morrighan like this.
  5. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    That looks pretty cool! 300 watts into Six 5" drivers should be about equivalent to a Super Flightcase.
    It wouldn't be real stable for gigs but I bet it would be cool and sound amazing stacked vertical.

Morrighan likes this.
  6. At three I may as well be carrying in my BG-400.

What appears to me is when I spec'd my rig, I spec'd it to the TB canard of "the largest gig you'll play without FOH". Missing in that calculation is the right amount of amplification in the smallest gig without carrying the big guns. ....

7. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass Supporting Member

May 10, 2006
    Someone mentioned the PB-300 and said it has 4 drivers. It actually has six. Haven't heard one so no idea how "loud" it can get.

pb-300-no-grill.

8. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Yes, is it easier to juggle a bunch of shoebox-sized boxes, or one larger, yet still lightweight box? Either way, it's a cool little rig that I'll play with for a while, then pass it on to the next TB'er(s).

Morrighan likes this.
  9. For the full monty gigs it's my BG-400 and C4, at which point I'm traveling light only in comparison to 810 players :rolleyes: There's a great deal of appeal to your modular approach for lower volume situations. The thought that just won't leave me though is taking only a PB-300 driven by an EQ pedal. But again, close to BG-400 weight ... Clearly what's called for is a CUB, a PB-100 and a PB-300 :banghead:

10. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Or how about my rig above plus a pb-300, so I can choose 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, or 12 drivers? OK, maybe I’m getting silly now.

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Funny, but I have the double bass player's version of this lineup: A CUB, a Flightcase, a Superflightcase, and a PB300.

And I'm always wondering if I should have a double four. :D

12. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    The "too much" gear for the gig perception. For me.... I never like to be under amped at a gig. I recently acquired one of the C-12 cabs(looks like a BG800 w/o the preamp & power). I don't find it a whole lot different to move than multi small cabs. The tilt back wheels, makes it a single trip to the car. Its 70lbs so not light, but, I'm not wanting at any gig for output and tone(combined with my GK Fusion 800).
    PJB C12.JPG

armybass, lo-freq and bebass like this.
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    DFW, Texas
    Wow! I didn't know they made these!
    Very cool!

14. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    How would you compare the tone / performance of the C12 to your Barefaced Super Twin? And what are you using to power these with?

squarewave likes this.
  15. DrDAV14

DrDAV14 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Denver, Colorado
    The sound of the Supertwin was a more pillowy low end, not overly done, just looser sounding. The PJB is faster and tighter. I leave the "big" thick sound for the FOH to add. I want consistent, solid tone for my ears were I stand on stage. Overloading the lowend on statge means, FOH is cutting it. The Supertwin is a helluva cab. I just had been wanting to use the PJB. I had a BG800 for a week trial, loved the cab when I bypassed the head. The BG800 was too expensive to buy, just to bypass the head. When I saw that he built a handful of the C-12's, I tracked one down. I was about to go with 2-C8 cabs, so this was a bonus!

armybass and Ukiah Bass like this.
  16. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Get yourself a B6 and you won't have to carry it in. It has wheels and an extendable handle like most carry-on luggage. I have one that I use with a Carvin BX-500 head. I've never been anywhere where it wasn't loud enough to do what I needed it to do.

Phil Jones Bass 6B Neo Power Speaker Cabinet

Morrighan likes this.
  17. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Hi! I openned a thread about this and since I got no answer I'm asking for you 2 cents on this

In my eternal quest for the most portable rig ever, I came across these two Phil Jones cabinets and I'd like to ask for some advice on this.
    From what I seen, they both use 4x5'' speaker and handle 400w at 8 ohms. The Neo has a lower frequency range from 25hz-150khz and weights about 10kgs. The Piranha handles from 35hz-150khz and weights about 13kg, but is 100€ cheapper.
    What can you tell me about these cabinets and is the Neo really worth the 100€ diference?

18. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Nice catch about the 4 or 6 drivers. Also, a different design cab than the C8 series.
    Here are my thoughts so far with that cab with comparisons of "loudness" and perceived bass extension which also bears on "loudness".
    I hooked up a PB300 and a Super Flightcase today and compared it to a C8 with a 450 Watt amp and a Suitcase with a C4 and two C4's with an 800 watt amp. One has to also look at the design of the PB300 and Super Flightcase compared to the C series cabs. My EAR based conclusion was the Super Flightcase with the PB300 was deeper giving smooth & deep bass extension more so than the C series. The C8 with the 450 watt amp also had deep extension but was a bit tighter not quite as much pillowy/warm extension as the SF/PB300 plus the SF/PB300 just had an overall smoothness indicating a really balanced type sound. I thought the C8 LITE with about 450 watts was a good bit louder and was even a bit surprised at the amount of clear bass extension. The Suitcase/C4 was about the same or slightly more volume as the SF/PB300 but a part of what I was hearing was the difference in NEO versus standard magnet.
    My conclusion: I guess I would personally choose the Super Flightcase with PB300 for any jazz or lighter/mellower or Blues or even when I was sitting around playing due to the smoothness of the deep extension and mids. And the C8 with the 450 watts for Rock (The FC/PB300 would also work great for small club Rock and would be my choice but not for what I consider "loud" rock) OR two C8s with 800 watt amp for REALLY loud rock, although it is surprising at the loudness of one. I might choose the Suitcase and C4 for when I didn't have to dig in as it did have a nice even quick sound, I also thought the ceramic drivers in the C4 and Suitcase had a bit more top end than the NEOs and may work better than the C8 Lite or the other NEO cabs for certain sounds.

I hope this may give a comparative feeling of the subjective loudness of the PB300. I can also try a tube preamp direct in to the PB300 by itself for a direct comparison of "loudness". Bear in mind all of theses type things are subjective due to the nature of acoustics. One person's "loudness" may be another's "turn it up" and a different person's "turn it down".

Morrighan, Ukiah Bass and squarewave like this.
  19. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Comparisons are always subjective without direct measurements and polar plots.
    My subjective comparison - see more above.
    I thought the NEOS were "warmer" "smoother" and the new ceramics were a bit "brighter" "punchier". They may or may not be a bit more efficient than the NEO cab - I know the new standard magnet drivers are about 2 db more efficient than the older drivers. In terms of weight differences, it really makes a difference with the C8 but the C4 is so small it doesn't matter so much in perceived weight difference although two about 20 lb cabs could almost be carried with a couple of fingers of each hand.

Nunovsky likes this.
  20. Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006

Thanks, I appreciate the comparisons! As a rule of thumb (and without having heard one in person), the PB-300 seems in neighborhood of a good 12 inch cab. The distinction between "smooth" and "hard" music is interesting, but I suspect you can throw a dirt pedal into the chain and toughen up the PB-300 tone appropriately.

What holds me back on the PB-300 is weight. It is NOT a lightweight 112! I use a Flightcase BG-150 and can supplement that with a Barefaced Super Midget. The SM is a 112 that weighs half of the PB-300 at 23lbs and sounds fabulous. On the other hand, the BG/SM stack looks like a pig compared to the All-Phil stack!

speaker_cabinet03.

stack - front.JPG

stack - front angle.JPG

squarewave likes this.