1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. Hi Mates,...

I have really no Expiriences with PJB Gear, but what I've read, makes me curious. I wanted something for my Akustik Band, where I play an E-Bass nevertheless. A tiny little Rig to stand against 2 Acoustic Guitars, Cajon/Perc. and 2 female Front Voices (+ additional male Voices)...and for moderate Noise Levels. Do you thing an Aguilar TH 500 + a PJB C4 could do the Job? How does the C4 handle a Low B?

Thx for Input...

chupacerveza likes this.
  2. I have a Bg-400 which is the C4-based combo.. handles low B fine. The BG-400 also has an excellent two channel input amp so it could save you carrying extra gear! It can duke it out with a hard hitting drummer, but is just as effective with gentle acoustic sets.. I do both. Also, with it being small, you can hide it away on acoustic sets..

3. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    PJB H-850 headphone + Bighead. :bassist:

48E25D28-8EDE-43BF-ACAD-63CAC6B63E28.

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I spoke with Phil Jones once, a couple of years ago. One of the things he told me in that conversation was that everything he makes is designed to handle, and is tested to, at least a low A.

I'll tell you the same thing I told him. My first exposure to anything by Phil Jones was at a TB get-together, where someone had brought a Briefcase amp. Two 5" speakers, 100W, capable of being run on a battery. I grabbed a bass to plug into it, but somehow, it didn't sound right. The someone pointed out that the bass I had grabbed was a 39.5" scale Knuckle Quake that was TUNED DOWN AN OCTAVE!!! My first response was amazement that someone made such a long scale bass that could be tuned an octave low. My immediate second response was shock that the little speakers in the small Phil Jones amp did not puke when I was playing that bass. So I grabbed another bass, a normally-tuned one this time, and plugged it in. I was an instant convert.

Since that day, I have acquired a Briefcase amp, an older Suitcase amp with extension speaker, a 6B cab, a Roadcase amp, a set of headphones, and a tiny Big Head headphone practice amp.

I normally gig with a Carvin 500W head into the 300W 6B cab, and it's easily loud enough to handle any small-medium club. If you're thinking of matching an Aguilar 500W head to a cab, I can heartily recommend the 6B cab, but that would probably be more than you need. I think the even C4 would even be more than you need, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work nicely. For your purposes, I think a Briefcase amp would be plenty most of the time, but the Aguilar+C4 would allow you to play bigger venues or keep up with louder band situations.

5. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    ...plus a nice travel case. Cool rig!

6. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    PJB 20190305. Hi, new to Phil Jones gear, and it sounds awesome. I first got a PJB Double Four and was amazed at how much sound and how good the tone was. Since then I've bought a couple of C4's and gig with those and I'm truly amazed at sound projection, tone, and clarity. I have a chance to get a C8 used locally. My question is the C4's have the silver dust caps and the C8 does not. Is there a difference in the speakers other than cosmetic?
    Thnx

7. All that AND a V-Max!

chupacerveza and Morrighan like this.
  8. axxtion

axxtion

Jan 21, 2006
    Disneyland, CA
    Yeah I get to play in a hard rock band with my son and we both have v Max's life is good

chupacerveza likes this.
  9. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    got my BG800 yesterday. i need a bigger room.

Attached Files:

10. Wow! That will make the windows rattle!

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Beautiful! How tall is that thing?

12. porterbass

porterbass Supporting Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Congratulations!!! That's an awesome little practice amp! :wideyed: :drool: :D I so want one of those!

Morrighan likes this.
  13. chupacerveza

chupacerveza

Jan 3, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Obligatory rig photo; thanks for the number!
    BG-100 and PB-100 for home and small group use. So much sound in such a small package! 2019-04-29 18.39.48.

14. That's super tasty!

chupacerveza likes this.
  15. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    Do you stack them vertically or horizontally?

chupacerveza likes this.
  16. Rich48

Rich48 Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2017
    Portland Oregon
    So I just picked up a used PB100. I tried it out by plugging my bass into a preamp pedal and plugging the output of the pedal into the PB100 line in. Using it like this it works and sounds fine with plenty of volume. I then tried connecting the line out on my double four into the line in on the PB100. The bass is plugged into the input on the double four. Using it this way I cannot get much volume out of the PB100. Has anyone else tried to use the PB100 and double four together?

chupacerveza likes this.
  17. soong

soong

May 10, 2007
    Sydney
    Am i right in reading that the C8 is 800w, while the BG-800 is only 750w?

Power rating aside, would the BG-800 combo be much louder due to more drivers (=more air moving?)

chupacerveza likes this.
  18. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Congrats! Welcome to the Roadcase club!

It's not as big as it looks in the photos. It's 3 feet tall and about 15 inches wide.

19. chupacerveza

chupacerveza

Jan 3, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hi RichardPjazz,
    When I asked Ampeg a while back whether a pair of 2x10s should be stacked 2x2 or vertically, the answer was that you get better acoustic coupling (maybe it was better dispersion) vertically, meaning you can create a longer wavefront and therefore obtain lower frequencies in this configuration.

I'd love to know what Phil would say... maybe I'll post a question on the FB group page, particularly because these products are only rated down to 60Hz on their own... although I note that his designs are generally "stretched along one axis" (my phrase, not anyone else's) with obvious exceptions.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    RichardPjazz likes this.
  20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    My two gig rigs are the BG-800, and a 6B cab powered by a Carvin 500W head. Happily (or perhaps sadly), I have never maxed out the volume with either rig. But if I had to put money on it, I'd say the BG-800 could get louder, and probably substantially louder, than the C8 when both are at maximum volume. The four speakers will make more of a difference IMO than the 50W will.

Morrighan, soong and chupacerveza like this.