1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    Thanks! I’d be curious to see PJB’s answer to this question. I’ve stacked mine horizontally and have yet to take the plunge and try vertically in a live situation.

chupacerveza likes this.
  2. chupacerveza

chupacerveza

Jan 3, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hi Rich48, didn't see another reply to your question yet, but the volume on the Double Four controls the volume on the PB-100 (that's to say that the volume on the Double Four not only controls its own volume but its line out volume as well). I've heard it recommended to turn the PB-100 to max, or nearly so, and then adjust the Double Four to taste.

Rich48 likes this.
  3. chupacerveza

chupacerveza

Jan 3, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hi RichardPjazz, The official answer from (probably Mike, not sure) is:

"Hey Robert, At the end of the day it's about whats right you. I say use your rig the way you like it."

While it's not a technical answer it is certainly technically correct!

Morrighan, RichardPjazz and The Rage like this.
  4. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    Indeed, I would have hoped for a geekier answer...

Thanks for sharing.

chupacerveza likes this.
  5. CHYC

CHYC

Dec 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Hopefully an easy question; from what I'm reading the BigHead is a serious bit of kit for headphone practice, but how does it compare to the headphone outputs of PJB's other stuff? If I had a d4 say, and I only cared about sound quality, would the BH be surplus or is there something special about the sounds of a BH?

This is ignoring everything else like inbuilt battery and ADC, all I care about is a good sound when practising through headphones.

6. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    I own a Bighead and like it. Aux input, battery, and portability are the pros. Beyond that it is just as serviceable of a headphone practice amp as the headphone out I have used on any amplifier. Full amplifiers typically have an edge on tone shaping (more than 2 bands of EQ, sometimes other features). I find the Bighead to be a bit sterile sounding for my tastes, but it is perfectly fine for headphone amp.

7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    If you already have an amp with a headphone output, I wouldn't spend the money on a Big Head. But I have one and I love it, it allows me to travel and have an easy way to practice that doesn't involve lugging an amp around.

One note about it -- the first time i used mine, the battery was not fully charged, and it made a distorted sound, so much so that I called Phil Jones about it. (He called me back personally and we talked for a while about a few different things, which was cool.) Bottom line -- I let it charge up fully, and then I never had that issue again.

Edit: Just to clarify, it doesn't have to be fully charged all the time. The batter can drain quite low and it still works fine. For whatever reason, it needed that full charge the very first time in order to prime the pump, so to speak. At least mine did.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    chupacerveza likes this.
  8. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    I've stacked mine both ways and I can't tell much difference tone wise but vertical you tend to turn down the volume because it's in your ears, and I tend to play louder on the floor 100_1415.JPG 100_1244.JPG

9. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    The nice thing is that it is SO portable - for that reason it is an excellent piece of gear to have in addition to an amp. Although a double 4 is portable as well and sounds like a real bass amp.

kohanmike and Morrighan like this.
  10. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Watts difference is minor. But yes, the Roadcase will be louder due to more drivers.

11. RichardPjazz

RichardPjazz

Jun 26, 2018
    Calgary
    @CHYC
    The Bighead is somewhat similar to the headphone output of my other PJB amps. I don’t use it if I am at my regular post in my practice space where I usually have a Bass CUB BG100 already set up, but I do use it regularly for practicing elsewhere in the house.

It can also be a handy piece of equipment on gigs if your amp is already set up on stage and there isn’t another amp in the green room or even no proper green room at all.

It would not be a sufficient reason to get a Bighead but since I already have it, I have found it useful to bring it with me when I go to try a bass at the music store.

The Bighead can also be used as a recording interface. I haven’t used it for that as I already had an Apogee interface.

CHYC and porterbass like this.
  12. Ricardo Rodriguez

Ricardo Rodriguez

Sep 8, 2015
    Does anyone have a Phil Jones SS-4 Speaker Cable they don't need? Let me know.

Phil Jones Bass SS-4 4' Speaker Cable

13. LBbassment

LBbassment

Nov 29, 2015
    I did it! Finally got a PJB suitcase (in the sweet red) and I feel like my tone actually became MY tone. Now onto buying the C4 extension cab...

14. Baby stack.

407FB9C9-6F1A-4B22-9CCD-C9B9D3FB2F65.

15. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I bought a used M-300 a couple of years back but it does not have a case and because of the exposed sliders it is vulnerable to easy damage. Can anyone suggest a suitable case for, it padded or hard. Thanks in advance.

16. You could try Roqsolid (Custom Amp Cover, Cab Cover & Equipment Protection By ROQSOLID, ROQSOLID - Your Protection Connection )
    Based in Bradford, they either have a template or will make you one if you give them dimensions. Quality covers!

17. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Pelican Case was VERY good to my M500. I don't remember the exact model number, but measure your head and check out their site, the padding is configurable and nothing keeps it safer IMO.

porterbass likes this.
  18. Zbysek

Zbysek

Mar 23, 2017
    Czech Republic
    Is anybody here using Ear Box? What's your experience?

19. And great in red!

rocklogic and Flabzilla like this.
  20. rocklogic

rocklogic Commercial User

Aug 7, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    I used to run an online music store.
    So, after picking up a Bighead not too long ago (which I love), I decided to splash the cash on a double four last week. Got a really good deal as its got a tiny ding on the corner, but man this thing is awesome!

I picked it up on Friday afternoon and brought it to an acoustic gig the very same night. What a workhorse! Loud enough in most acoustic application, and when placed right, it roars.

I love the fact that it can handle the low B just fine, and I have been loving having it at home for practice.

IMG_20190511_225930_635.