1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. DMoney4

DMoney4

Nov 8, 2014

I am very happy with it but have only had it a few weeks with no gigs for the foreseeable future so I will reserve my final opinion until i have put it through its paces in a live situation. While being a clean DI it also sports contour switches for vintage and modern tones which to my ears are very useable and musical.

I must say I am very impressed by the PJB C8 in both sound and build quality. The power available coupled with the tight articulation of the 5' speakers will work in almost every musical situation I am likely to find.

Does anyone have any suggestions for padded covers for their C8/PJB gear?

2. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    I bought a clamshell style case from Susan at Studio Slips (studioslips.com). She was so nice and friendly and the product is beautiful. And I'll be taking it out for the first time next week. I was looking for a cover that could also hold my small TC amp, cables etc. I also considered Tukicovers but went with the local (for me, Bay Area) company. And I loved the options they offered.

I guess when you add in the DI and the contour switches the Nord is a good value. The Darkglass pre doesn't have a DI out. Thanks and good luck!

Protagonist and RodRy like this.
  3. Fixitinpost

Fixitinpost Gold Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2005
    Massachusetts
  4. ahadl2500

ahadl2500 Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Greenwood, IN
    While I have not tried a LeCover for PJB, I have tried LeCover several times before and it is the way to go.

chupacerveza, DMoney4 and RodRy like this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I still like the idea of a Quad 4.
    :D

Protagonist and redstrand like this.
  6. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    What are the weights of those two cabs? If you have it handy, that is.

Protagonist likes this.
  7. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    The GK 210 = 39 pounds. The PJB C8 = 57 pounds, but it has wheels and a carryon-style extendable luggage handle.

8. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Still loving this lil beastie

DDD95D9A-DFE3-4534-960C-36D07AD7B067.jpeg

9. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Sadly, there is a lot of well-intended misinformation within the loving confines of TalkBass. The size of the speaker is almost irrelevant. Almost. (It is just one of many factors. The size of the speaker is just one part of the design of the speaker, which is part of the design of the entire speaker cabinet as a system. Then that speaker cabinet needs to be driven by a suitable amplifier.)

I regularly gig with a cab with six 5" speakers in it or a cab with eight 5" speakers in it. The total surface area of the eight 5" speakers is equivalent to the surface area of two 10" speakers, and just a little bit shy of being equivalent to the surface area of a 15" speaker. Both of my cabinets have performed admirably in outdoor gigs.

Please note, I'm note trying to denigrate your amp in any way. I'm just saying that the advice you got probably dissuaded you from a lot of very good options.

porterbass and RodRy like this.
  10. Gully Foyle

Gully Foyle

Sep 28, 2014
    Near Boston
    Anyone know anything about the PB 300 powered cab? Looks discontinued, but also does not seem to show up used, at least not in the couple days I’ve looked on reverb and the bay

11. Protagonist

Protagonist Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2019
    Detroit-ish
    The lack of PB300s on the market over 3 months I was looking, and then them being discontinued is why I decided to go with a BG400 and C4 setup. I don't need the C4 yet, but they'll be around when I do.

12. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Given my belief the BG400 alone is capable in probably 80 percent of live situations local to me, I feel I'm in a bit of overkill here :roflmao: And yet, it makes perfect sense if I squint ...

Sitting in one country with my C4, and my BG400 in another country for a bit as we got all this mess cleared up, the (then) brand new Elf looked like a great solution. And by golly, it is. Sounds great through the C4!

With everyone on the same continent for the foreseeable future, it seemed only right the Elf have its own cab. The Trace Elliot cabs looked mighty attractive ... but my experience with the C4 was enough to want to try an Elf — Cab 27 pairing. Somewhere down the line saw a "this weekend only" sale on another Cab 27 and now ... And in an emergency the Elf can be a standalone DI :smug:

And now I have two modular rigs with different voices. I really like the Cab 27 ... but at 30 pounds I'm not saving that much muscle power over loading in the BG400. It just comes down to a matter what EQ voice I prefer .... I can fully see possibilities for other amps for either the C4 or the Cab 27s. A lot of it is how I wish to present on stage, too. Because other musicians want to know how I am getting so much bass out of this winky little box :roflmao:

13. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    It is my dream to someday do a gig with my PJB Cub II with the guitar player using a ZT Lunchbox. Or at least a set.

RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  14. Lucky Chuck

Lucky Chuck Supporting Member

Oct 28, 2019
    Twin Cities, Minnesota
    Yeah, they're discontinued. When I was looking (awhile ago), I was told the last shipment was coming in from China but they were all in Burgundy. And then they were gone from the company website.

Nice to know there may be some interest should I ever settle on selling it someday...

RodRy likes this.
  15. ficelles

ficelles

Feb 28, 2010
    Devon, England
    Well I still have my Session 77 (no reply from PJB on the unwanted noise and I doubt there will be) but in the meantime have acquired a BG-100, and it's interesting to compare the two.

No idea yet on usable volume as I've only used them at home due to lockdown, but cranking them seems to indicate not much in it. Maybe a little in favour of the Session 77.

The BG-100 has the huge advantage of 2 channels and the limiter, but the Session 77 beats it both on low and high end frequency response.

Playing a 4-string with mag pickups is infinitely better through the BG-100, which I guess is what it was designed for. 5-string, well the Session 77 handles the low B better although the BG-100 isn't exactly lacking in low end.

Anything with piezos is better through the Session 77 for top end response, but the BG-100's mic channel handles piezo input better (I know that's not what the manual says, but it does with my ABGs).

I reckon if I took a mix of EBGs and ABGs to a gig I'd take both amps and link them up one way or another, if I were playing just EBG I'd take the BG-100.

Looks like I'll keep both...

Last edited: Mar 19, 2021
  16. edr

edr

Mar 28, 2019
    It turns out my Micro 7 actually pairs really nicely with my (converted) fretless Yamaha BBN5. I keep flats on it and aim for an upright-like sound, and this does the job very well.

17. direktor

direktor Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Hi gents and ladies,

I just bought a BG400 and it is on its way. Very excited to hear what the fuss is about.

In headphone practice land, where I’ve been for a few months now, I’ve been using Bias Amp/FX and like it. I just realized I can use my iPad and iRig as an FX setup as well with an amp that has a loop.

Does anybody know where PJB might place the FX loop in the internal routing on a BG400? Certainly after the pre, but pre EQ? Post EQ? Pre compressor?

This could be a kooky setup, but might work as well.

RodRy and Lukasonbass like this.
  18. BG400 or Micro 7? I just need low/moderate volume for "acoustic" ensembles and I'm all about low frequency vibrations. I play a fretless 5 string (low B)in some jazz groups. Thank you for your input.

Lukasonbass and RodRy like this.
  19. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I love my Double Four. It does a nice job of handling my 5 string, and it seems loud enough to play with un-amplified acoustic guitars. From what I've heard, similar output to the Micro 7, but not seen a back-to-back video of them.

cosmicevan and Michael F Clef like this.
  20. Lukasonbass

Lukasonbass

Dec 12, 2019
    New Hampshire
    BG400 for sure! Has a real nice foundation and can be paired with the c4 for an even better response

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021