1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. I have both. I use the Micro 7 for practicing at home and for living room rehearsals with others. I actually much prefer the sound of the Micro7. Its deeper and brighter however the BG400 is your only choice for full band use.

RodRy and Michael F Clef like this.
  2. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    I agree, except for the weight. I know my Double Four will do play along with acoustic guitars and even a sensible single electric guitar. Hopefully the Bass Cub Pro will come in soon so I can test with a C2. Judging from a single C2 hooked up to a power amp, I would (Guess) a Bass Cub Pro with a C2, mostly because of a possible vertical arrangement, may get into the same territory as a BG400 with being much lighter weight (each component). Of course, with a 2nd cab a BG400 would give significant more SPL. And another option in the PJB product line is a BP800 amp with a single C4 and add a 2nd cab if needed. I personally favor that option over the BG400.

3. Sithian

Sithian Operator! Give me the number for 9-1-1! Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2008
    New Jersey
    +1

4. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    For me, Phil Jones cabs distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack far more than Phil Jones amps distinguish themselves from the rest of the pack. If it weren't for Phil Jones combos (of which I have four), I wouldn't really be tempted to get a PJB amp to go with a PJB cab.

I think the BG400 is a great little combo, and it's literally made to go with the C4, and that's a great little stack. But it's heavy for a combo that size. If someone chose instead to go with a C4 and another amp, I think a whole world of tonal possibilities opens up given the great selection of amps currently available.

5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I agree with this. The heads are good, but the combos are great, and it's largely because of the cabs. I can't imagine why the Super Flightcase has been discontinued - I am tempted to buy another one in case anything happens to the one I have in the future. It's a near perfect combo that I have used on hundreds of gigs, big and small, including the Blue Note in NYC and numerous outdoor venues with FOH support. With a variable HPF, it would literally be perfect.

The only combo of theirs that I own that I think is pretty limited is the BG100, and in this case it's because of the cab design. If it were bigger, it would sound better, but by trying to keep it so small it has very limited headroom before it starts to sound boxy. I've kept it for a practice amp and for an easy DI solution when needed in the studio, but I don't take it to gigs any more.

As far as their amps, the Limiter that was on so many of them is absolutely my favorite feature. It does such a great job of protecting the speakers in a very transparent way.

6. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Two C4s and an amp of choice sounds like a happy place to me!

7. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    I got a BG110 last summer. I used it for a two-piece gig in a small-mid size room, unsupported by PA. It held it's own, but the guitar player wanted more oomph than it could give, so half way through the gig we hooked up another speaker. More recently, my band started practicing in our guitar players house (different guitar player). He asked me to bring my tiny amp, and I told him I'd bring the tiniest amp I own. He was expecting my PJB Briefcase amp, which he had seen before for a photoshoot and for a gig (unsupported by PA in a small-mid size room). So it blew his mind when I showed up with the Cub II. (Blew his wife's mind, too!) It's perfect for that practice environment.

Michael F Clef, RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  8. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    To be sure there many great amp options out there. I use both D400 and BP-800 depending, and Im very impressed w raw tone and performance.

Michael F Clef likes this.
  9. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Not to get off topic but posted this on another thread and was suggested to post it here for your knowledgeable input....
    PJB C2 advice
    Thinking of buying the above . Most playing is done through a PJB briefcase as it is self contained with its battery . Volume levels are fine and tone is superb in my opinion . Mostly played with assorted like minded individuals in back gardens , village hall once a week and occasional gigs in small pubs or street parties . Also use a TC BQ250 with a 1x12 when the need or desire to go louder arises . Even the 1x12 is a bit of a lump to carry so was thinking about pairing it with a PJB C2 . the 112 is a 4 ohm high sensitivity celestion driver so I am expecting the 8ohm C2 to be a fair bit quieter , maybe 130 W or so through 8 ohms . Most times there are a varying number of acoustic instruments and maybe 1 electric guitar . No crazy drummer to compete with . Music is a selection from folk to ska/reggae , with a bit of punk thrown in for good measure .
    Ideas / thoughts from any of you ? Should be a nice small combo in my opinion .

RodRy likes this.
  10. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere

There are tech people nearby who are perfectly happy to explain why there is not enough volume difference between a single 4 ohm cab and single 8 ohm cab to hear. I'll leave it to them. I haven't taken a math class since 1972. :smug:

An Elf drives one or two PJB Cab 27s here and I would happily own a single C2 to pair with the Elf. It would be perfect. I bought the Cab 27s before the C2 was an option. :meh: Absolutely I can see a lot of gigs where an Elf (or a TC) and a C2 would be an awesome pairing. :woot:

RodRy and johnh89 like this.
  11. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Thanks for that . I have never been one to be impressed with numbers . I am just sounding out opinions but the final decision is left to the ears . I have never bothered to chase 'tone' and will always make whatever i am playing sound as good as it can to my ears . Variety is the spice of life .

RodRy likes this.
  12. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    I tested a C2 with an estimated 120 watts amp (800 watt amp turned way down) and it did work well, and think it MAY would do for a small gig. I am in the process of pairing one with a very small 350 Watt amp so that it could drive a pair of C2 cabs. I did also try a C2 on top of a pair of C4’s and found that very interesting in that adding the VERTICAL drivers changed the sound discernibly and almost drastically. So I think it would be neat to pair with a 112. I will try that tomorrow. If you want, PM me in a few days and I will be glad to share my impressions of that setup.

RodRy, Morrighan and johnh89 like this.
  13. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    Thanks for your reply . I would be interested to hear how you get on .

Morrighan likes this.
  14. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    new to the PJB phenomenon....I'm looking for a super bicycle friendly rig. took a trace elliot elf to demo a C2 and walked out of the store with it. i was pleasantly surprised how good these two sounded together. brought it home and it fits just perfect in an arkel shopper pannier. excited to think that paired with a matched BG-120, this could replace the niche my markbass 801 and 602 have filled in terms of SPL, but far less volume in terms of Liters of bike cargo. should get to try it with rehearsals and gigs over the next month or two. 2021-04-03.jpg
    2021-04-03.jpg

15. BlueTalon

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    That's a first! I've never heard of bass amps being measured in liters before.

Welcome to the Phil Jones world, where small is the new big!

RodRy and Morrighan like this.
  16. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Just got in my latest, and smallest pjb speaker. Im trying the EarBox. Rehearsal tues using C8/BP-800, albeit @ lower volume. Mainly im listening for pitch monitoring when playing e-cello. got it rigged w hercules guitar stand instead of carrying addtl mic stand. Will report.

cosmicevan, porterbass and RodRy like this.
  17. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    I believe near field monitors have a fantastic impact on the way we hear sound. I think these near field monitors would be especially helpful if we play in noisy environments like restaurants due to the ambient sound level. A huge difference in the manner in which one hears their sound.

RodRy likes this.
  18. bebass

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    In what my ears tell me, there is a strong compatibility of the C2 and the 200-350 watt mini-amps. Man, yesteryear we would have never thought such a BASS rig possible.

chupacerveza, RodRy, hazmatt and 2 others like this.
  19. johnh89

johnh89

Jan 25, 2020
    Kent UK
    BeBass .... Just what I was wanting to hear . Gonna cost a few Bob . I was rather hoping someone would try and talk me out of another purchase but , heh , what the hell . We are a long time dead mes amis .

RodRy and Michael F Clef like this.
  20. dwellers

dwellers Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2013
    Norcal
    Very interested to hear your thoughts on the Ear Box. I'm considering one as well. It seems that the great small size of today's cabs, while projecting well, makes it harder to hear on stage. The old 18 with a 410 on top was quite easy to hear and feel back in the day.

BTW, was the Ear Box part of the 20% off that PJB recently had at their store? I think that expired on 3/31 though. :(

Question: since the EB has an incredibly high impedance, will it not affect the overall load to my amp? I currently run 2x8ohm cabs for a load of 4 to the amp. Adding the Ear Box will not (measurably) decrease the resistance in the chain? Or should I switch the head over to 2.67ohms?

TIA!

--DW

Last edited: Apr 4, 2021
    chupacerveza and RodRy like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021