Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    Agreed! Glad to hear having an upright didn't hold you back either! I have a long tail cargo bike that used to be my regular transport to gigs when I lived in the SF bay area and could take it on the light rail system and ferries. Easy to take a 1x12 or even 2x10 around that way - here was the only gig I've had this summer I could easily cargo bike to and from with my markbass 1x12 combo and steinberger. [​IMG]

Now that I'm down in San Diego, the transit here does not play nice with the long tail bike, so I got all excited when the C2 and Cub pro came out for this new bike-able setup!

2. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    @Stephent28, when you sent in your M-500 for service, what all did Phil do and how much was the cost? PM me if you wish; I like mine but noticed my 25 watt power LED above the master volume doesn't light up now (but it did when I first got it). Probably wouldn't be the only thing I'd send it in for, but it's annoying, and if there are caps he can replace or anything else that degrades over time it might be nice to have it gone over.

Although my church's sanctuary can seat around 5-600 (it's fire rated for 1000 I think?) I can't use the bottom 9b otherwise it overrides the house system. I like the sound better when using both cabs, but it cuts nicely through the mix both on stage and out in front. So glad I picked this up but can't wait until a band practice when I can open it up using both 9b's. :bassist:

Stephent28 likes this.
  3. Stephent28

Stephent28 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2005
    C470, CO

@Razman, I sent it directly to Steve(?) who was/is their main technician at the time based on the address on the RMA form that Frieda sent me. I sent it in originally for a failing fan and requested that they give it an overall health checkup (which they probably do anyway). He came back and said some of the caps were getting weak and he recommended replacing them ...... so the caps, the fan, and maybe a few other odds and ends (oh yeah, they replaced a couple of the EQ sliders that had gotten loose or cracked) and while it has been a while, I am pretty sure the whole thing came in at under $150 with about a 10 day turnaround door to door. Overall, I found the service and cost to be exceptional at the time and I remember being surprised by how inexpensive the charge was.

CryingBass and Razman like this.
  4. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Wow that's a great rate! I'll reach out to them when I'm ready.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    6325C3AF-22D4-4525-A543-5EC4919EEFA2.jpeg
    Another happy gig through the Phil Jones Bass.

CryingBass, alotabass, scottm and 7 others like this.
  6. CutlassI

CutlassI Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Interesting.. I find the the M500 is not powerful enough to run 2 X C9’s for my taste.. wonder what the diff is between running the 9B’s and the C9’s ‍♂️‍♂️

7. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I also play in our metal band. We are accustomed to a loud stage volume. At a recent practice I used the combo + 9b and had it at max volume with the input barely blinking red, and the 500w output led flashing occasionally. It was perfect! So I got another 9b to ensure I could get a little more headroom if required, but at full volume without it the drivers didn’t sound stressed nor did the amp. Through my Henry the 8x8 it performed similarly to my 700rb, and probably could have cooked that cab like the GK easily could have. So perhaps it is those drivers as you suspect.

8. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    I don't understand, a PJB M500 is not powerful enough for 2 C9 cabs? My M500 through a 16H at 2ohm (or a 8T/16B @ 5.33 ohm) will get the cops called to my house if I run it more than half power?

I accept the disclosure "for my taste" I'm worried about your aural health lol.....

Seriously, what is that combo lacking? I haven't had the pleasure of trying C9 cabs yet, so obviously I'm missing something.

9. CutlassI

Sep 20, 2017
    LOL.. It will play and it will play somewhat loud but I don’t get the sense of the amp being firmly on top of it in the contrary to running them with e.g. a Spartan or a Walter Woods Electracoustic Blue Light.. but yeah; a taste thing as well I guess..

Jeff Roller likes this.
  10. CutlassI

Sep 20, 2017
    When you write combo you are referring to a six pack.? Those are big time back breakers lol.. where are you located.? PM me if you are interested to part with that Henry the 8x8..

11. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Gotcha.

To me, the M500 is a brilliant amp, and almost too many EQ choices....at times I will run those disabled and add some warmth using a Demeter pre and adjust my EQ settings on the pre side.

I found I NEEDED a preamp at first, the M500 and PJB cabs are so good at simply amplifying what you put in, I found I needed to clean up my playing style. Throw some tubey warmth on it and worked on getting my technique cleaned up and now I'm back to enjoying the M500 straight.

I don't want to ever try a Walter Woods, I fear I will have to have one if I do!

12. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Yep, see previous post, six-pak atop a 9b. Henry went to GC but they probably still have it, and I will probably own another one day. Need a GK 700rb or a Bassman combo?

Eric

13. CutlassI

Sep 20, 2017
    There is a legit chance of needing a Walter Woods if you try it.. Super Clean sounding to my ear and very powerful.. I use a CALI 76 and a NOBLE in front of the M500 even I actually find that the limiter in the M500 is very good for what it is..thankfully preferences are subjective.. ha ha..

14. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    My local jazz professor (and upright teacher) has a Walter Woods. I loaned him my Super Flightcase (BG300) when he went on a short 2 week tour in NYC. He liked it, but said he was keeping the WW.

I could make a decent argument I need one, but I play so little upright these days, and the Super FC really is a sweet amp for my doghouse needs.

PM me if you ever decide to turn that M500 loose. You never know, you could catch me in a weak moment and some money in the bank at the same time!;)

15. coyoteboy

coyoteboy Bongo destroys villages and does my laundry Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    To continue this blasphemy a bit longer, I was surprised by how much I like my EBS Micro 3 going into the phil jones. Its got a zingyness and sheen to it, rather electric sounding thats very additive to all my instruments.

Jeff Roller likes this.
  16. Paul Squire

Paul Squire

Sep 15, 2021
    Yes, I wrote a tuba quintet in Musescore and it's synthesized tuba voices made my PB-300 fart pretty easily. Sounded great a low volumes but could not get to close to the sound of 5 actual tubas;-)

17. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Yeah, I got some nasty sounds out of the C4 when I hooked it up to my Darkglass MT500v2. Had to cut a lot of lows out and then it sounded pretty amazing and pretty loud (paired it with a POS 1x15 they had in the practice space). I mean it's an amazing clear sounding cab but I found it's a lot more sensitive to lower frequencies than sheer volume.

I guess that's why the BP-800 and -200 have a built in HPF.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  18. CutlassI

Sep 20, 2017
    was that message for me.? Anyway My M500 is not going anywhere.. it has a very low serial and is a keeper for me.. Thank you though.. :thumbsup:

Jeff Roller likes this.
  19. CutlassI

Sep 20, 2017
    I only used my WW’s with electric basses and PJB cabinets.. I like the clarity and seemingly endless surplus of power.. 24679B91-D3EC-42E8-89AC-10098F7891CB.jpeg 8D5C4CD8-FB35-4131-AB94-DB62F32BCB5A.jpeg

20. Leonid Nidis

Leonid Nidis

Jan 1, 2018
    Hi a silly question.
    I have a BG400 combo,if I want to add a C4 as an extention what cable do i need to use?
    Is it the same cable that usually connects a head to a cab?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021