Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Welcome to TB and the PJB Club! I've not owned one but with two inputs I don't see why you couldn't. Traditionally, running more than one instrument through an amplifier is a no-no (I wouldn't do it with something like a Marshall stack) but I've seen keyboard amps run with multiple instruments as it's like a small PA. It's an amp and a cab, shouldn't be a major issue, especially at practice levels.

As for a separate head, you might run a signal out from the external amp and into the FX jack in (NOT speaker power!!) and that should bypass the input altogether, but use the BG-400's power section for its internal speakers.

Have fun, don't let the 'magic smoke' out and let us know how it works for you! You sure aimed high "on a whim" with PJB gear!

Raz

2. najrot

najrot Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2021
    Good to know, thanks for the warm welcome.

I had a feeling running a second instrument at low level wouldn’t be a problem, don’t plan on relying for it for anything beyond that.

I will look more into your solution for the head, it would save me some time, money, and space to not add a whole other cab just yet. Am I running a risk of blowing anything out if I do that? Also it’s a 500 watt head if that makes a difference.

3. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Can you help me understand your reasoning for adding another head to the signal chain? Is it something you already have and like the sound of?

4. najrot

najrot Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2021
    Yes it’s a Darkglass Alpha Omega 500,
    My initial plan was to get a small practice amp for inside the house and a cab to go with the amp and put it in the studio but there are some hiccups with getting that space so I’m trying to get some time in with the AO 500 with what I have currently, if it’s possible that is.

I ended up getting some of my gear out of order but I got a good deal on it so I jumped on it when I could.

5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Ah okay - so, run a signal cable (1/4" to 1/4") from the AO 500's "send" jack to the "fx return" jack on the BG 400. That should allow you to hear the Darkglass and use its features. I'm not sure if you'll hear the cab sim that way. FWIW, I played around with that on my B7K Ultra v.2 and I can hear it through headphones but not the main output IIRC.

6. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Welcome lotusland9663 !!!!

It was a pleasure chatting with you via PM, post those gig pics as soon as you able!

Anyone I miss, hit me with a PM if you want a number!

#1) Jeff Roller
    #2) One Bad Monkey
    #3) bottomzone
    #4-B) coyoteboy
    #5) ianmatth
    #6) tombowlus
    #7) PCR
    #8) TimWinter
    #9-B) lofreek
    #10) GrooveWarrior
    #11) SquiggFSM
    #12) Philonius
    #13) Bassguy1
    #14) Bassman 100
    #15) Chris K
    #16) warnan
    #17) ~ignited~wings~
    #18) Etienned
    #19) CrashClint
    #20) bassCanadabass
    #21) marchone
    #22) 2ndBassGuitar
    #23) Jim Nazium
    #24) walbassist
    #25) Uber-bass
    #26) Skunk11
    #27) aux
    #28) countrybass007
    #29) tat2jim
    #30) smgleitch
    #31) gauche
    #32) zedave
    #33) antonismbass
    #34) andydye
    #35) greggster59
    #36) LarryR
    #37) tjclem
    #38) MysticMichael
    #39) Photobassist
    #40) redcloud
    #41) markcv
    #42) LowBstring
    #43) smpugh723
    #44) Eggman
    #45) superdick2112
    #46) 66 PBass
    #47) Hot Pocket
    #48) Narkofunk
    #49) rubytopaz
    #50) growlypants
    #51) nshuman
    #52) droskobass
    #53) bazzie
    #54) steve f
    #55) IAMbc15E
    #56) betavision
    #57) Frank77
    #58) porterbass
    #59) bassmanfreddo
    #60) rickwolff
    #61) 1846TOM
    #62) jtroska
    #63) Tankdave
    #64) Ezbass
    #65) iriegnome
    #66) kjculligan
    #67) BlueTalon
    #68) Michael Pearce
    #69) Luke Sheridan
    #70) Stephent28
    #71) jgriffter
    #72) basssalad
    #73) ilike5's
    #74) nzscott
    #75) fourstringdrums
    #76) johndough247
    #77) LowBass4me
    #78) Bassplayer315
    #79) kaba7a
    #80) Acoustic356
    #81) Idle Plucker
    #82) n30g30
    #83) kimmyt
    #84) jetsrush
    #85) don21480
    #86) kohanmike
    #87) bassyboyg
    #88) Jeff Elkins
    #89) morrighan
    #90) herrdruhl
    #91) Quality
    #92) Mike77rios
    #93) BostonJazz72
    #94) pamslam
    #95) arrowsun
    #96) Kalik
    #97) Irishbass
    #98) Chris Fitzgerald
    #99) Heresjohnnie
    #100) Jmilitsc
    #101) Rnb4003
    #102) justBrian
    #103) wheelsup247
    #104) txstatebass
    #105) alembic 76407
    #106) zevv
    #107) micgtr71
    #108) Asr4
    #109) lug
    #110) modulus6bass
    #111) TheIndieKid
    #112) Jackcrow
    #113) Pertsa
    #114) KDK
    #115) Clipped
    #116) bassandboy
    #117) Rich48
    #118) RichardPjazz
    #119) SteveBass5
    #120) BassManKK
    #121) chupacerveza
    #122) Ricardo Rodriguez
    #123) MasterMonkeyMan
    #124) MrClifford
    #125) 19sixty3
    #126) GMC
    #127) LBbassment
    #128) brgtr3
    #129) Lucky Chuck
    #130) Lunatique
    #131) Bill N
    #132) Dave Orban
    #133) Peter Mathews
    #134) andronik
    #135) californiaJGD
    #136) Joe7
    #137) ToneMonkey
    #138) Jrob121212
    #139) Hypercaffium
    #140) BluesWalker
    #141) Randy Dees
    #142) OldSoulDownLow
    #143) RodRy
    #144) selowitch
    #145) KLINCOLNS
    #146) pkraiker
    #147) redstrand
    #148) b_carville
    #149) cosmicevan
    #150) iagtrplyr
    #151) kevmac
    #152) Hummergeist
    #153) Relayer71
    #154) Protagonist
    #155) JoeDoe
    #156) dwellers
    #156) Razman
    #157) Pop C
    #158) SunByrne
    #159) Hugsonic
    #160) johnh89
    #161) lotusland9663

Razman likes this.
  7. najrot

najrot Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2021
    Nice! What is IIRC?

what was your experience with the B7K? also what does your rig look like? And style or styles?

I’ll let you know how the experiment goes.

8. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Forgive my miss @najrot - fyi, the unwritten but time-tested and member-honored rule of posting a pic of your PJB gear will earn you a number in this prestigious assembly of PJB users and aficionados. :D

coyoteboy likes this.
  9. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    IIRC = If I Recall Correctly. I have a pic around here somewhere of my rig - but for right now it sits in the chain of my worship rig and I engage it occasionally when I want to add some salt & pepper to my sound. Realistically, I don't think it's discernable in the mix, and the Christian Metal band I'm also in hasn't played enough lately for me to really experiment with it in that context (I have a MXR M80 Bass DI+ for distorted sounds that sounds good) so I leave it there.

I can't seem to bring myself to pulling it out of my signal chain and selling it though. I got a good deal on it; one of the footswitches broke and Darkglass sent me another one which was cool, and I played around with the cab sim a little. Maybe I'll try it at our next band practice.

Raz

10. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Well, that AND / OR requesting a number lol.....I don't assign one unless someone requests one. I try to read every post and catch when someone requests in the post to join. Thus, every time I update the membership I remind folks to PM me if I missed it!

My double 4 has a 1/8" in for blending a signal in to play along with, at the moment I use the double 4 as my bench amp. I have a bluetooth running into the 1/8" input and my phone sending it my playlist. I also have a Line 6 wireless going to the bass input so I can blend in bass from the bench as I work on setups, etc. There's a Peterson Strobe tuner in the chain as well, so I almost look like a pro working in my garage......almost.

Morrighan and Razman like this.
  11. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Ok, here’s the “insane” stack - mere mortals can’t handle it so I remove the center cab and only play through the combo on top (adding the bottom 9b sets off electronic drum set triggers!) :bassist:
    2F421CE5-8539-4C96-B9AF-A0C01503B1A7.jpeg
    Here's the "normal" stack...
    EA67A72E-87D7-46A7-B822-BD92758528F7.jpeg

Edit: I need to get a pic with everything on to show off all the pretty blue lights lol...

12. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Love it!

Keep the "Insane" stack together at all times, that's what volume knobs are for!

Morrighan and Razman like this.
  13. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I would but it's obnoxiously tall on our platform! I like it and it puts the sound up in my face but the aesthetics aren't a good fit. Oh well...

Spoiler alert: my buddy at GC is trying to get another 9b moved down here from Atlanta so I can check it out (it's no longer on the site so I don't know if it was sold or in the process of being transferred and he hasn't texted me back yet). I sold a 700rb to another TB'er but it arrived damaged, so I'm in the middle of a shipping claim, refund, etc. etc. That said, once all is done (the 700rb comes back, refund issued, and I can eventually repair it - AGAIN - and I get the other 9b) I'll have a second 9b stack (squared) with the GK to power it. That should be fun! Holding my breath...

BlueTalon and Jeff Roller like this.
  14. Morrighan

Morrighan La Contessa Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2015
    Isle of Everywhere
    Is it 18 or 19 months of lockdown? Because from here I see I could have done 100 percent of my work from that Friday in March until now with a Double Four. :wacky:

cosmicevan and Jeff Roller like this.
  15. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Yeah, you got the PJB bug alright lol!!!!!

I'm pretty shameless at church.....was this too obnoxious? (I did move and sell the Ampeg)

IMG-20131106-00718 (1).jpg

16. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Seen that pic before and still love it! It kind of hides in the lower lighting and nice, wood background though…

Jeff Roller likes this.
  17. CutlassI

CutlassI Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2017
    Impressive rig..! But Holy moly that’s a lot of speakers for that M500.. :woot:

Jeff Roller and BlueTalon like this.
  18. Hugsonic

Hugsonic

Jul 3, 2017
    WOW! Is this used for music or demolition work. :)

Rich48 and Jeff Roller like this.
  19. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    A Mesa 400+ would be fun with those cabs!

I'm really hoping the dual-stack 9b w/my 700rb works out - I think it would be a great rig to push the GK into grind territory and crank the boost knob a bit without causing speaker or structural damage! One of the last 800rb's I had I did a video demoing it into a SWR Goliath III and it just made those speakers cry for mercy. :bassist:

Jeff Roller likes this.
  20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I wish you good luck in that endeavor, but I'd recommend using a HPF. I did a gig this summer and forgot my HPF. As I was sound checking, I noticed the speakers in my C8 were experiencing scary levels of excursion. As a quick fix, I turned the low bass EQ down on the amp, and then the excursion was about half of what it was a moment before. It took away some of the tone I like, but once we started playing, nobody else seemed to notice or care.

If you're going to push your speakers to the limit, you may as well make sure they're producing sound you actually can hear.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021