Phil Jones Bass Owners' Club

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jeff Roller, May 31, 2010.

1. Took the C2 to rehearsal tonight for the first time, plugged into the BAM 200. Band mates stood scratching their head trying to figure out how such a tiny box and tiny amp can have such a big presence!

2. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    Here is my favourite amp that will give you plenty of headroom. 800 watts of beautiful clean power at 4 ohms. Typically sounds great while being run flat. View attachment 4774671 [/QUOTE]

I had thought about that. It is a little bit out of my price range and probably has more power than I need. However, Jim Stinnett (RIP) liked it with his two 47 cabinets (he was given that setup when he won one of the PJB bass solo contests). I have owned one PJB amp, the one in the BG400 combo: it went bad after three years through light use, primarily home and in a dozen low volume gigs. That has made me, probably irrationally, gun-shy on another PJB amp though I really like the 47 cabinet.

3. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    :):):)

6B255465-0511-4DC3-AB86-D9C8BC48C6DE.jpeg

4. Jeff Roller

Jeff Roller Jeff Roller Gold Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Razman likes this.
  5. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    You probably can, and I only have it on 8! I’m barely blipping the 250w LED!

I also tested the 700rb and at the setting pictures it was plenty loud!

00B18880-BD2A-461B-85B6-11A9B9A14C28.jpeg

cosmicevan, Jeff Roller and RodRy like this.
  6. cosmicevan

cosmicevan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporting Member

What's a fair price these days? Saw one locally with a larger setup and asked in the head and it was suggested to make an offer

7. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    1,000 for a used M500 sounds like a good value. Anything you could talk them down would be a greater value. IMO.

If I didn't already have two, I'd be looking it up. This is one of those amps people will be searching for at a premium, is my prediction. They're THAT good.

8. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    I concur with Jeff. If you can bundle it with some cabs that's an even better deal.

Jeff Roller likes this.
  9. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Had a short but good practice last night, and NO issues whatsoever being heard! In fact, our backup singer said that I stood out over everyone, and we're already too loud on stage. :bassist: Our practice room has too much reverb for me to really discern the finer subtleties of tone the M-500 provides; if I can spend time with it in a carpeted room I might be able to appreciate that aspect more.

It gets plenty loud though! When I first got my SIX-PAK & 9b stack I was running it wide open and it was perfect (but I found another 9b 'just in case' I needed more oomph) but the pair really works well together and I only had it on 8 - still had significantly more volume available above that! Wasn't even clipping the 500w LED.

I think I'll try the full stack with the SIX-PAK next time (didn't have room for it in my Jeep) just for fun. Haven't been able to stretch it's legs in that manner yet. I was able to confirm that I didn't fully toast my 700rb - since I don't use the HF section, I'll probably hold off fixing that for now. The main power section works great, and those 9b's are the only cabs I've found that can cope with an RB head's power. They work great!

PS, Jeff, I'm still sticking with my claim to the 16H - kinda like this guy to the car he wanted:
    :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Jeff Roller likes this.
  10. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    Still got your name on it Razman!

DSCN0979_zps4478d944.jpg

11. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Stop posting pics of it here!! Someone else might fall in love with it! :bored:

:D

Jeff Roller likes this.
  12. Greywoulf

Greywoulf Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Freehold, NJ. USA
    Hmmmmm....?? -Do I really need...? ~Would it? ~Maybe?? ~Shall I..? :nailbiting:

Razman and Jeff Roller like this.
  13. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    599FE0D1-E0E0-481F-8BAE-F0CA5A1D13AD.jpeg E0AC4295-2F3C-46FB-B883-5C90B99A4813.jpeg E442D29C-866C-449B-B6F6-0940F0157CDB.jpeg 4C8E5857-565E-46D9-A2D9-F4018DC90299.jpeg CE1447FC-B3F8-44E0-AF20-6B3AA6C08DFD.jpeg Ok I’m not in love with the CAB 67. I think I prefer the sound of two 2 x 7’s stacked vertically. There may be just a bit less bass but overall the sound is more balanced; better high-end and less high mid.

I even tried the C 67 upside down to get more acoustic coupling. It does not have enough low end for my tastes. A little bit hyped in the upper mids. Oh well. My back and my bank account are happy though!

The photo with the Genzler underneath the C67 on its side, underneath a Bergantino… That sounds incredible powered by the Mesa WD 800.

The Genzler BA210 definitely has more low end then the BA110s, whether stacked or side-by-side.

i’m gonna go back to geeking out on all of these cabs.

14. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Big gear head here so you're definitely scratching that itch! Wrong coast though or I'd suggest a meetup!

Dan Robbins likes this.
  15. Dan Robbins

Dan Robbins Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2006
    Central CA
    !! For sure!

Razman likes this.
  16. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Here you go Grey. And it's good to know there are options just in case Jeff bails on me...

J/K, Jeff's a stellar chap. Looking forward to another meal with him eventually.

Jeff Roller likes this.
  17. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    Berlin
    Hi there!

I play 90% with 2x Ampeg SVT-210AVs and am thinking of making the switch to PJB. What do you think how many C4 would I need to compete with that? (I have a Quilter Bass Block 800 that definitely can handle 3, maybe even 4 of them).

Also: When I play with a loud rock band that needs up to four Ampeg SVT-210AVs... how far would I come with three C4s? Is there anyone out there that does have multiple cabs of C4s? I love how the C8 looks on paper but am not sure because of the weight. There's always 3 to 4 shows per year where you have to lift several stairs too many or drag them above cobble stones. Not sure how my back or the wheels hold up in these cases. :D

PS: I have tried out the CAB-27 but I love how the C4 has so much more punch and the perfect amount of low cut. Infact I think the CAB-27 is a bit too much in the low end for small places, haha. Still love how it sounds more linear than the C4. My Fender Rhodes really shines through it!

18. Jeff Roller

Dec 24, 2007
    Maryville, TN
    They're way harder to find, but the C8 Lite is 4 ohm with Neo drivers, around 37 lb.s (vs C8 eight ohm cab at almost 60 lbs.)

I too have played with two 210 AV cabs and get way more volume and presence with the C8 Lite.

19. ImTheOnlyOne

ImTheOnlyOne Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2011
    My humble opinion
    C8 > 2 x C4 for fuller dynamic range.
    2x210av = 3 x C4 for clean volume.
    2 x 210he or 2 x C27 I'd like to hear with a pf50 or BP800.

SteveFromBerlin and Jeff Roller like this.
  20. NeonVomit

NeonVomit

Jan 29, 2013
    Cyprus
    Really? I thought just having two C4s was basically exactly the same as a C8, but just at 4ohms.

coyoteboy and SteveFromBerlin like this.