1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

PHIL JONES BASS PUTS MORE POWER INTO PORTABILITY

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jul 5, 2017.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Small just got more powerful with the introduction of Phil Jones Bass’s D-1000 digital bass amplifier and the C-9 speaker cabinet. The D-1000 is a powerful, no compromise high performance compact amplifier conceived for the most discerning of bassists, with the versatility required for every playing situation. The chassis is constructed of aircraft grade anodized black aluminum and achieves a maximum of 1000 watts of pure PJB power. The high efficiency class D amplifier runs cool and eliminates the need for a fan, making it completely quiet and reliable. The D-1000 is the new flagship of the PJB amplifier series.

Features include 5 Band EQ, Limiter w/On-Off switch, Master volume, Headphone jack, FX Send/Return, Preamp out, Speaker Out, and a soft gig bag to keep it looking new for years. Dimensions are 11.7” x 10.3” x 3.3”. Weight is 5.3 lbs. MSRP $1799.

The C9 is a 9x5” Loudspeaker Enclosure that introduces PJB’s latest in driver technology, the Chrome Dome 5A. This compact cabinet is built to handle 900 watts of PJB power and is built to perform in any playing situation. It matches perfectly with the PJB D-1000 Amplifier and together stand just over 2 feet tall.

The C9 Enclosure, is constructed from Baltic birch plywood and is extensively braced for extreme rigidity and strength. Other features include PJB heavy chromed metal corners, wheels with double roller bearings for ease of movement, and heavy duty “Tolex” style covering. Comes with soft cover. Dimensions: 20.7” W x 18.7 D “x 21.9”H

Weight 74 Pounds MSRP $1499.

Power : 900 watts

D1000-1. C9. C9 D1000.

2. This setup looks like so much fun!
    I only wish I had the $4,000 burning a hole in my pocket to take this rig on the road!

chuck3, csc2048b, onosson and 4 others like this.
  3. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    What makes this amp "digital"?

Jazz Ad likes this.
  4. The class D amplifier: Class-D amplifier - Wikipedia
    It's not actually digital, but people often refer to it that way, presumably because of the PCM mechanism.

csc2048b likes this.
  5. jaco944

jaco944 Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2005
    $4k and 80lbs lol.

6. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Like the look of the amp, very stylish. I don't think it has the features I'd need as a DB player and it's pretty heavy. PJ builds great stuff though

Ric.

7. I want to take this rig on tour and crank it up super loud every night.

8. I think it has something to do with all those digits in the price.

9. tb4sbp

tb4sbp

May 9, 2017
    North East
    9 5" speakers!?! Wow

Has anyone played through a 5" speaker at 900 watts?
    Wondering what the tone would be like? :eyebrow:

Pbassmanca, chuck3 and andruca like this.
  10. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

It looks nice, however I'm afraid nobody will find a 74 pound cab sexy in 2017.

Marley's Ghost and MOSCOWBASS like this.
  11. Scruffy_Johnson

Scruffy_Johnson Banned

Jun 29, 2017
    I agree. Like PJB gear. I own the Super Flightcase. But, for DB...

This is better:

WJBPII

WJ Speakers

I use the 1x10 cabs.

12. I would love to try it, but ... I think the issues have been identified, mainly the price and the weight. I expect it sounds awesome, especially for upright. I am kind of thinking about the "fridge" - didn't it use to be 8 x 10" speakers? This strikes me as one of those mini-fridges you see - half the size of the big fridge! It's 9 x 5" speakers.

That said - I'm sure it's awesome, just not sure how practical for the likes of me. The Genzler array with the 12 or whatever it is plus the 3 x 3" vertically arrayed seems more affordable and practical.

But I can't stop looking at this 9 x 5" ... it's definitely very cool. Would love to hear it.

13. Szyszaczek

Szyszaczek

Sep 5, 2014
    If the Chrome Dome 5A are better, I would prefer 8x5".

9x5" raise the question about Impendance.

14. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    NO kidding - I didn't even catch that at first - seems kind of counter intuitive to the whole PJB ethic doesn't it?
    Also defeats the purpose of 5" drivers and birch plywood cabinets.
    But than goodness the head on top is so small and light...
    And of course 9 makes a nice square and gives you a full 8th more speaker area than 8 drivers (that's nearly 13% more! - and yes I am fully aware that 13% sound will be virtually impercievable) but it does mean the speakers are working that much less to handle the power - so more clean headroom).

Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  15. danosix

danosix

May 30, 2012
    Any perfect square can achieve a sensible impedence - 3 x 4 ohms (series) = 12 ohms / 3 parallel circuits = 4 ohms.
    Wheras with 8 you need speakers which are half or double your desired impedence.

16. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Those people need to stop doing that. "Digital" has so many connotations (positive and negative) that it is not only inaccurate, but an all around poor idea to misue the term in this way.

17. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

So this stuff looks pretty cool , I've always thought Phil Jones gear was intriguing although I've never tried playing through any of it. I did a couple calculations and this 9 x 5" speaker cab has aproximately 12% more speaker surface area than a 2 x 10. Interested to hear what it is capable of doing in terms of volume, low end and dispersion of the sound around a stage and in a room.

18. Pbassmanca

Pbassmanca Never spit through an open doorway... Supporting Member

Oh , and in case anyone is ever interested in calculating the surface area of their speakers, the following formula applied will give you the numbers.

Area of a circle = 3.14 × radius sqaured
    So to calculate the surface area of a 10 inch speaker you would do:
    3.14 x 5 (the radius of the speaker in inches) squared (25) = 78.5 square inches.

19. 1800$ MSRP for the amp ??? Jesus rollerbladin' Christ!!!!

20. Scruffy_Johnson

Scruffy_Johnson Banned

Jun 29, 2017
    It's a little more complicated than that. Surface area of a Cone.

You are apparently not paying attention to the "Boutique" bass amp & speaker offerings. Guitar Center doesn't carry these items. :woot: