1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass releases H-850 Headphones

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Mar 14, 2013.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    Phil Jones Bass is proud to introduce the H-850 headphones, the first pair designed specifically to bridge the gap between high-quality music and deep and clear bass. Utilizing high power 40mm neodymium magnets and closed back acoustic loading, the sound reproduction is true and clear, allowing you you hear every nuance in your playing. The addition of superb acoustic isolation from external noise and bleed through allow for uninterrupted practicing, and the light weight frame ensures comfort during long stretches. Perfect for the practice room, studio, or even just casual listening, the PJB H-850 headphones will quickly become your favorite set of headphones. With a projected release date of May 2013 and an MSRP of $109, these headphones are going to make friends with your wallet as well.

H-850 Specs
    Freq Response: 20Hz-20KHz
    Impedance: 32 Ohm
    Maximum Input Power: 1000mW
    Sound Pressure Level (SPL): 96dB
    Cable Connector: 3.5mm stereo (with 6.35mm stereo adapter)
    Cable Length: 2m

Phil Jones Bass

info@philjonespuresound.com
    314-814-3383
    8509 Mid County Industrial Dr.
    St. Louis, MO 63114

2. grinx

grinx

Mar 24, 2003
    Raleighwood, NC
    they don't have them on their website nor do they mention them

3. Ashlyn

Ashlyn

Dec 21, 2012
    US
    I want to get a new headphone. Is this one a good choice?

4. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Grinx, they are indeed on the website, under Bass Amplifiers -- > Headphones

Phil Jones Bass - H850

Ashlyn, I think it's going to depend on what your needs are for headphones, but given PJB's knowledge and experience in the studio setting, I would wager that these would be a very nice set. Once they're released, I'm sure you'll be able to get firsthand reviews.

5. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Mentioned in this month’s Bass Player. I’m waiting for reviews.

6. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    I was looking for a price or somewhere online to order these - anyone run across either?

When I search for "h-850 headphones" I find a reference to Edifier h850 headphones that look very similar - I wonder if they are the same thing.

7. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Ok, found these discussed here and it says:

"The Phil Jones Bass H-850 Headphones will hit the market in May with an MSRP of $109."

8. Bruski

Bruski

Aug 30, 2012
    Boston, MA
    So, has anybody gotten these HeadPhones yet? Can we get an honest verdict?

9. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    When I looked before you weren't able to order off of their website, but you can now - it's listed as $99.95 with free shipping. I'd like to know as well how good they are if anyone tries them.

10. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    Oh, and if it is the Edifier H850 re-branded (and from what I read elsewhere I think it is), here's a thorough technical review of the headphones including frequency response graphs: http://en.goldenears.net/14836

11. GretschBassist

GretschBassist

Nov 11, 2012
    I wasn't gonna open another thread for this but it needs to be said. These headphones are a JOKE. They buzz on everything lower than E. Tried different kind of recordings at different volumes and sent them back the same day. Don't waste your money, guys.

12. Jim Kernan

Jim Kernan

Sep 25, 2008
    NEPA
    Thanks for the info.

13. pla8558

pla8558

Apr 16, 2014
    Yes, these headphones are Edifier H-850 and they cost less than 40$ on Asian markets. They do buzz on low B.

14. joenoone

joenoone

Mar 21, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    After researching I ended up buying a pair of Superlux HD668B that go for $40 off of AMAZON and love 'em. I'd recommend them to anyone - they'd probably also work well for drummers as well. Here's the analysis of these.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  15. neil macpherson

neil macpherson

Jun 23, 2007
    Australia
    I just bought these Phil Jones h850 headphones and I think they are fantastic. I have a Sadowsky metro 5 string and I have no problem with the B strong. I also have a Warwick $$ corvette 5, and again, no buzz, just pure bass. I play them via my Gallien Krueger MB-200 and TC-electronic BH250 amps and they sound great. Maybe those who report buzzing have faulty ones or their signal chain is not handling the low B properly.

16. distortion81

distortion81

Oct 24, 2014
    i own own these, its not just a rebranded Edifier, was comparing to a ATH-M50X before I bought this.

(below is a quote from Phil Jones himself in basschat.co.uk)
    the internals are made with far higher Quality Control tolerances and they do not use all the same internal parts as Edifier.

(This is a quote from one of the replies)
    Here's what I had about the differences:

"The PJB H850 has a completely new design transducer to cope with the extreme punishing low frequencies and dynamics of a bass guitar.

This transducer is unique to the PJB H850 and not available in any other headphone.

To achieve the desired performance, they used a more powerful neodymium magnet, a slightly larger voice coil and to keep the moving mass low, they opted for copper clad aluminum single layer, edge‐wound ribbon conductor.

Also, the rear damping chamber is far more effective than the Edifier headphones.

Another thing is that the PJB headphones have a much flatter frequency response across the whole audio spectrum and consistent in manufacturing to within =/- 2dB.

The Edifier headphones have a very peaky response from 5KHz on up and that is due to the fact that there is far less damping inside them along with a lower cost diaphragm and two layer round wire copper coil.

The Edifier brand is a low cost consumer brand and the products designed for them are built to fit specific low price points."

17. jazzyvee

jazzyvee

Aug 11, 2012
    United Kingdom
    I bought some this week and they are distorting on the lower notes which is odd considering they are designed for bass players. Anyway the shop was good and sent me a replacement set that arrived today even though they said they sounded fine at their end.

However, they are still distorting even at low volume whereas my bog standard sony closed back headphones cope fine with the bass and Big Head.
    The PJB head phones sound really hi-fi in every way apart from what I thought they were good for and that is bass. It's less obvious when there is more higher frequencies in the signal but once I start closing down the filters to get some more bottom end emphasis they start distorting even though I have the input gain fully off and the bass controls at 50% or less.
    It sounds like the speaker is suffering from over excursion.
    I normally play a lot of reggae & Jazz funk and so wanted clean but heavy on the bottom end in the cans.
    The volume in the headphones is quite low compared to my Sony headphones. I've emailed PJB for advice and also put the big head on for a full recharge in case any distortion is coming from a low charge on the battery. Anyone got any experience with them?