Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones Bass Rigs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by terbay, Mar 28, 2005.

1. terbay

terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Currently looking at getting either a Thunderfunk or AG 500, however, a buddy of mine showed me the Phil Jones line of amps, cabs, and combo amps. Does the PJ stand up to the likes of Tunderfunk and Aguilar?

Does anyone out there have any first hand experience with Phil Jones Bass?

http://www.philjonesbass.com/

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own the Phil Jones Briefcase, and I really like it. However, it is not meant to compete or compare with the Aguilar combo's, or a Thunderfunk driving a decent-sized cab, so I really can't say how they would compare. Hopefully, somebody with a Six Pack will chime in...

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The only thing I can say is that I know the Phil Jones stuff still has a lot of problems that havn't been worked out.

4. terbay

terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Hi emjazz, do you know more specifically what problems the PJB's are having?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I heard the same thing, which is why I decided against buying PJ.

I think the Briefcase is a great combo though for what it does.

-Mike

6. terbay

terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs
    Hey Mike,

Yeah the Briefcase is pretty cool looking, and having battery power could be nice for that remote jam. Are these problems dealing with the head or the speaker enclosers?

T

7. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The problems I was told about were in relation to the speaker cabinets. I don't know a bunch about what the problem was, but I was told by a couple buddies who know these things that it would be wise to hold off until the issues are resolved. I'll still buy a PJ amp or cabinet. I'm just waiting for the green light.

I'm going to bow out of this conversation as I feel like I am bashing the poor guy. I have no facts to stand on, just what I was told by people who know loads about speakers and amps.

-Mike

8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Same here, although I've heard enough to decide for myself to stay far away from the Phil Jones stuff.

9. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    I was (and, truth be told, still slightly am) really interested in the Phil Jones preamp... the full-sized 1U rackmount one.

The only niggle for me is the "Made in China" syndrome... :spit:

Does anyone know whether ALL of the PJB stuff is China-born... or just certain items?

10. Sir Funkalot

Sir Funkalot Phil Jones Bass

As I see so much BS on this post I had to reply.

Unless you have ever been to China, it is very difficult to explain how to build an amp there. It used to mean that "Made in China" was bad but not anymore. Just like what Japan went through in the 60s. And now Japan’s standard of excellence is very high.
    I built my own factory in Shenzhen, China so I can maintain the very high standard we adhere to. It has grown to over 400,000 square feet in size. That is a lot bigger than any other bass amp company I know of! (Photos available on request.) I personally trained my 40+ managers who all have university education and many of them are the best employees I have ever had working for me regardless of what country.
    I travel about 12-15 times a year between USA and my factory in China as an ongoing effort to keep on upgrading my factory and staff.

We design and build just about everything from the ground up.
    As for quality, we build some of the finest and highest performance, high end audio hi-fi speakers and sell to over 30 countries. My love and my passion as a bass player is to build the best in bass amps. Believe me it’s not for the money!!!
    Our amps may be assembled in China but we use many military grade parts and import from all over the world (including USA and UK) to China.
    I have the best manufacturing machines money can buy for making our cabinets and electronics and drivers.
    In our M1000 amplifier there are over 2000 parts so if a problem occurs with a faulty switch or socket the whole amp can take the blame. I am fully aware of the consequences so I put a great emphasis on quality control.

As an example here is a picture of a PJB pre amp with the covers removed exposing the electronics. The preamp is a production unit.

How many other manufactures are willing to show you what is inside their products or give you genuine specs?

Phil Jones

Attached Files:

11. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Phil:

Thanks for weighing in. I can certainly appreciate how as a manufacturer, you are faced with a constant dilemma regarding such online discussion sites as TalkBass.com. What I have found most beneficial is where a manufacturer stays out of the fray on a personal level for the majority of the time, but jumps in from time to time to clarify issues, or to assist in a discussion that is obviously spiraling out of control. And certainly, when necessary, to defend their good name. So, I thank you for your discretion and for your assistance.

With regard to the photos of your preamp, yes, that is very impressive for a manufacturer to put that forth voluntarily! And how many bass preamps employ a toroidal transformer? Nice!

I have been nothing but thrilled with my Briefcase so far, and it is obviously well made.

But then again, I also respect and appreciate the BBE products, and got many great years of service out of my 383.

As a bass player and an audiophile (which seems to be a strangely rare breed), I thank you for your contributions to our community. You are certainly an innovator!

Later, Tom.

13. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Just a simple question but how does the briefcase handle a low-B?

Because I'm thinking of upgrading from my Behringer BX1200 (spank me..) to a briefcase for band-practice (and small gigs with PA so I can DI)
    I mean, it really looks cool and 100watt of power is more than enough, seeing how the BX1200 is only 120 and is overkill for our bandpractices.
    From what I heard/read it should sound CLEAN LIKE HEAVEN but I'm kinda sceptical about 2 5inch drivers pumping out my low-B clear enough. (the BX1200 speaker is a bit wobly at higher volumes)
    Should I do so or should I look elsewhere?
    (and if I should look elsewhere, how does a SIX-PAK handle the low-B?)

EDIT: and even more importantly, are PJB products readily available in The Netherlands or do I have to import? (and from where? 220V versus 110V is an issue so I'd rather not import from the US)

14. terbay

terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs

Hi Phil thanks for the input... I wouldn't say that this thread was a bunch of BS as much as I would say that it is merely a lack of knowledge. I also don't feel as if it were spiraling out of control either. The question was pretty simple... If you don't know about a product and are interested in purchasing that product, the discriminating customer will do his or her research. Your amps have definitely caught my attention and I appreciate your cadency.

Sincerely and Respectfully,

Terrence Bayley

15. terbay

terbay

Apr 13, 2004
    Colorado Springs

Phil's website does a pretty good job of explaing the theory behind the 5" driver... Check it out.

http://www.philjonesbass.com/tech info.htm

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, it does a great job of reproducing the low B for something the size of, say, a briefcase. :p But to be honest, in a band practice situation, I do not feel that it reproduces the low B with a satisfying degree of authority - nor do I believe it was intended to do so. If you power one or two extension cabs (bypassing the internal speakers), the amp is amazingly powerful (and it can be removed!). But as a standalone, I don't think of the Briefcase as something I would take to an all-electric (except for drums, of course) band practice. It does compete well with acoustic guitars and a quiet drummer, and it would work well in a low stage volume situation. I find it's voice is somewhat more well suited for upright or acoustic bass guitar, but at lower volumes, my electrics sound great through it.

Tom.

17. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hehe,

takin' charge... :cool:

18. bigbajo60

bigbajo60

Nov 7, 2003
    Laredo, Texas
    My comment on the Made in China aspect of things was not intended to put the Phil Jones product line in a negative light, because I realize that when modern production techniques are intelligently applied, a superior product will result no matter if it's built in Shenzhen or Sheboygan.

My comment was meant to indicate my personal stance against this country's current rush to "outsource" every aspect of manufacturing capacity.

While I understand that this approach results in a higher quality product being made available at a lower price point, I feel that it puts our country as a whole in a very bad position in the long run. But that's for some other forum.

My apologies to Phil Jones for failing to make clear my line of thinking in my initial post.

But no apologies for asking what, for me, was a pertinent question. It wasn't meant as B.S.

19. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    The only Phil Jones gear I have actual experience with are his speaker cables. After "The Great TalkBass Tara Labs Cable Debacle" I was searching around for a real-world quality speaker cable that wouldn't drain my bank account. Phil's cables are $70 a piece and worth every penny. Quality with a capital "Q".

http://www.philjonesbass.com/PRODUCTS/accessories/MAIN.htm

The Briefcase sounded great to me at NAMM '04 (I want one), but of course since you can't raise the volume above a mouse fart without attracting the wrath of the Noise Police there was no way to judge the rest of his monsterous gear.

As far as what people tell you about what they've heard about gear in general...well, there's a reason why hearsay evidence is not admissible in court. It ain't evidence.

20. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    Well, since even my BX1200 get the occasional "TURN THAT DAMN THING DOWN" from my bandmates I would think that volume would not be any issue.
    And I'm not about authority, I'm about having a clean & punchy audible sound without being floppy or distorted.

But no low-B from the briefcase you say? (at least, no better than the BX1200 has) If I could just find out IF and WHERE to test the thing in The Netherlands I could find out for myself if it can give me enough power for band-practice :)
    And using extension cabs would be a nono because I'm buying it for it's size. (having to lug around an extension cab would defeat the purpose of me buying it ;))

Anyone with information/experience about the SIX-PAK low-B handling?