1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass Session 77 100W Bass Combo Amp VS Fender Rumble 100v3

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Oct 11, 2018.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Phil Jones Bass Session 77 100W Bass Combo Amp VS Fender Rumble 100v3Amp?
    Not looking at price, bunch of used PJ amps listed , they seem very interesting, how do they stack up against the Fender Rumble 100vs?

2. iagtrplyr

iagtrplyr Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2013
    Clinton, IA
    I'll start though I won't be a lot of help being I've never played through a PJB. They sound like they're well built and articulate. Someone who knows more will surely jump on and lend a hand. The Rumble 100 v3 is one I do own and love what it does for the price its physical size/weight. From what I've read, the Session 77 is a little light in the bottom end, but plays real clean and compliments a more modern sound. The Rumble, on the other hand, is the exact opposite. It's a big, meaty sound that smokes cigars and eats greasy food. It's not as sophisticated as I'm guessing the PJB is but will be a constant reminder that there's a bass player playing in a small to a medium-size venue. To my ears, it's the best combo I've bought for under three bills in quite a while.

You may wish to feed the masses with a little more detail about yourself, musical style, bass guitar, etc. It will help to get you more accurate opinions. Also, when you pick up one of these gems, trot on over to the Combo Club for frolic and hijinks in the world of combo amps. Great people with answers and opinions. Good hunting!

3. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Where did you see a bunch of PJB combo 77's for sale? I'm mildly interested because of the reputation of PJB's, but never interested enough to pull the trigger. If it were an attractive price I might try one out...

4. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I ended up getting a used demo Rumble 100v3 from guitar center for $245 bucks shipped, yeah new ones are $300 but I had good luck with G/C on amps in the past.
    The PJ amps are on Ebay from 285 to 300 used here is one I was looking at
    Phil Jones Bass Session 77 100W Bass Combo Amp 10 | eBay

New they are $400 bucks through Amazon.

5. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I've been very interested in the PJB stuff. Anyone have any experience with it? Is it growly or hi-fi? Rock or slap? etc.

6. nbsipics

nbsipics Gypsy Bass Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    I have the PJB Super Flightcase combo. Red - that counts :)

Accurate and mind-blowing for the size. As is all of his products I would believe.
    But if you are into heavy dirt/distortion, it might not be your cup of tea. The ears will tell.

7. Hurricane Jimmie

Hurricane Jimmie Supporting Member

I've owned a PJ Cub amp... 100 watts and two 5" speakers. It's a great rehearsal amp, and I also use it for my assisted-living/nursing home gigs... horns/piano/keys and a drummer, and it keeps up very nicely. I've also used it with the same band in a KC hall and it handled it well.
    Recently used it on a musical-theatre production sending a signal to the main board. No complaints from anyone.
    I can't slap, so I'm not sure how they handle that.
    I use it with a G&L SB1 and get a nice round P tone.
    It's almost enough to use in my other bands as a stage monitor with a signal to the PA. Almost enough.

alaskaleftybass likes this.