Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones Bass - Suitcase purchase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bassguy1, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    I just picked up my new PJB Suitcase amp at Fazzio's Frets and Friends in Ballwin , MO last night. I bought the first one that was available. Waited 2 months for this to come in. Phil had it on display at the 2006 NAMM show in LA. This new amp is AWESOME. 300 watts, four 5" pirahna speakers, two channels, only weighs 50 pounds. This is the best sounding amp I have ever played through and I've been playing since 1967. This has a pure smooth tube sound with no annoying hissing and no annoying fan sound. This is a must buy for all you hardcore bass players. Way to go Phil!!!

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It looks like a great amp but.
    And of course you love it - you bought it.
    "Tube sound" is subjective, and luckily this is an adjective you added and not Phil Jones.
    50lbs is heavy - I'd wait for the neodymium version.
    It doesn't generate 300W into it's built in speakers.
    Phil hasn't published a frequency chart, or max SPL levels yet.

3. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Tone is definetly subjective. I played my '57 reissue fender precision with flatwounds through the suitcase and also through my Ampeg B15 R (all tube - 117 pounds) and the suitcase sounded much more mellow on the bottom end with stronger mids and highs. It is 200 watts to the internal speakers and 300 to external ones.
    A 4B (4 - 5" speakers) extension cabinet for this amp is coming out soon.

4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Are you going to publish any frequency charts, or max spl charts?

5. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    I didn't see any charts that came with the amp. You may want to contact Phil Jones Bass at 314.814.1264. I'm sure they can help. Their e-mail address is info@philjonesbass.com

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    A freind of mine uses one of these for all his small club jazz gigs, and he loves it. I have yet to try one, but would like to.

7. Bassguy1

Bassguy1

Feb 10, 2006
    U.S. - Midwest
    Does he have the suitcase or the briefcase? The suitcase which has 4 speakers is almost ready for production and the briefcast which has 2 speakers has been available for some time now.

8. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have been quite pleased with my Briefcase (though it certainly is heavy for its size, if that is a factor for someone), and I would be interested in hearing the Suitcase. I would also like to hear the 4x5" extension cab driven by a seperate head.

Tom.

9. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    Does anyone know what the price and specs on the 4B might look like (weight, ohms, power handling)?