Phil Jones Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by billliite, Jul 28, 2005.

1. billliite

Jul 28, 2005
  2. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    did you play through it at all? :eyebrow:
  3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I own their Briefcase, and I really like it. The sound is very full, clear, and tonally neutral. I'd love to hear some of their bigger rigs sometime.

4. I owned the 500 head for a very, very short time (I think it was the only piece of gear I've ever returned for a refund). Really, really didn't like the sound..... extremely compressed low end... very shrill treble... weighed a ton. Semi-Parametric EQ seemed to be set to extremely narrow bandwidth... not a lot of variance in the sound. However, his heads might really be made/tuned for his rather unique cabinets (which I hear also weigh a ton+), and might not work very well with standard cabinets. So keep that in mind regarding my comments.

Now... to say something positive... extremely high quality... reminds me of the Mesa stuff.. real metal switches, high quality pots, etc.

I usually like at least something about various pieces of gear... but this one really did not do it at all for me.

PS I played out of Tom's briefcase and it sounded good... reinforcing my comment that the heads/EQ, etc may be very 'tuned' to those little 5" speakers.