1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Phil Jones Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretFree, Apr 13, 2006.

1. I recently relocated and there is a dealer nearby that carries Phil Jones Bass stuff.

Does anyone have any Phil Jones experience? Some of the stuff seems really cool (though very much out of my price range :scowl: ).

I only found one thread on TB on his stuff and is in the Double Bass forum. How about the electric players?

2. i talked about my experience with a rig at the atlanta guitar center almost a year ago. it was an M-500 head with a couple cabinets. i was not very impressed in the absolute sense, and especially not for the money.

what i really liked about the M-500 head was the graphic EQ. it was very musical and useful. i have not had a lot of success with graphical EQs on bass heads in the past, so this was nice.

however, the tone was nothing particularly special to me. it certainly didn't improve the clean tones i've gotten with warwick quadruplet preamp. add in the weight and cost, and it wasn't compelling for me. at least my rig now is a one-trip load-in.

but i can see how people would like these amps for what they do. and i have no problem with that. it's just not my thing. like so many other popular amps.

robb.

3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Searching for 'Phil Jones' brings up 456 threads.

4. Thanks for the help.

I searched for "Phil Jones Bass" and got 7 threads with "Phil Jones" in the title: 3 of them specifically about the small combo stuff that did not interest me.

5. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    TBer smperry plays PJB.

TBer Bigfatbass DID play a PJB rig...but has since moved on. Both are cool people so you could ask either one for some personal insight.

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    I recently upgraded to a Phil Jones 8T and an Ampeg SVT Classic 410HLF (see my "My new rig!" thread here http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=246047 ) and I am very happy with it. Their amps are okay, but their cabs are the best. They have a very clear, articulate, punchy, and brilliant sound that complements a good "thump" cab like an SVT Classic very well.

7. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    As BurningSkies mentioned, I've got a PJB rig: the m500 head with the 6t and 9b cabs. I love it for it's extended range, clarity, and detail. The individual pieces are heavy, but since each piece is small, it's manageable for me. You probably already saw the thread I started when I got it, but if not, here it is:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=202560

Some people have tried them and don't like them...but we all have our different tastes. I've tried many other boutiques that didn't "fit" me as well as this rig...and a few that I'd probably be just as happy with, if the price were right. I feel that way about my basses too.

Let me know if you have any specific questions, here or via PM.

Marshall

8. kidcharlemagne

kidcharlemagne

Mar 23, 2005
    London
    I've been using PJB stuff (a Sixpak and a 9B extension cab) for about 6 months now. I had a few teething problems with it - the fan didn't run when I first got the Sixpak, then I had a guitarist trip over it and mangle some of the controls on the front - but since then, no trouble. I have mixed feelings about it, though. Yes, the EQ is fantastic - you can really home in on those problem frequencies and knock 'em out to get a really clean soundstage. For whatever reason (probably the smaller speakers), the sound doesn't seem to be as directional as a regular bass cab, so your bandmates can all hear it clearly, rather than just hearing a distant rumble. The small speakers react quicker than anything else I've ever heard, so percussive playing has a real punch. Also, you don't seem to need to turn up the volume as much as you might think - it doesn't 'sound' loud, but it cuts through everything and still gives that 'thump in the chest' at the back of the venue, even though it may not appear to be that loud onstage. Difficult to explain - I guess the cabs 'project' very well. Finally, I love the fact that the sound is very 'cohesive' - with regular cabs, usually a combination of 15s, 10s and tweeters, you can hear the different character of the various speakers as you move up the scale. With the PJB stuff, those 5 inch speakers do it all, from rumbling lows to sparkling highs, without the harshness of a tweeter or the superfluous muddiness of a 15.

But the bad stuff: the things weigh a ton. The Sixpak may have trolley wheels, but you just try getting that thing up and down stairs . . . And all the cabs are deep (I'm talking size here), so they're quite an awkward shape to get in your car. For me, the ergonomics aren't there - as I said, a guitarist tripped over my Sixpak one night and broke off the compressor switch and damaged the volume pot - they're too exposed on the front of the head, with no protection, and no means of putting the head into a conventional rack to protect it.

All in all, I love the sound, but I'm not convinced they're all that practical, unless you're lucky enough to have roadies to move 'em round for you - the lightweight Markbass stuff is really calling out to me now . . .

K.

9. I too tried the GIANT PJB rig at the Atlanta GC (M500 and 8T & 24B).

Overall, not my thing.

I play rock with a StingRay 5. However, I plugged a Smith 6 into it and it smoked.

Its all about what your sound is. For the price, that would HAVE to be my sound before I forked that kinda dough.

My best advice is try it. I liked it, and thought it sounded good, but wouldnt work for me.

10. Thanks for the responses everyone!

I really appreaciate hearing the feedback.

There is a dealer within 45 min of me. I plan on taking a Saturday and A/B'ing w/ my current rig.

Everyone seems to be impressed with the response to percussive playing. I'm all about responsiveness, but I play fretless (almost NO percussive playing).

Anyone have any experience with the PJB Pre... the P-1?

11. I've only played through the Briefcase combo, but I liked it a lot. It was very responsive, and had a tight and clear sound, just the way I like it. It may not be loud enough for playing with a band, though.