1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Phil Jones Big Head (HA-2) vs. Big Head (HA-1)

Discussion in 'Accessories [BG] - NEW!' started by selowitch, Nov 24, 2018.

1. selowitch

selowitch Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I see that there is a new model of the Phil Jones Big Head Headphone Preamp, the HA-2, but I cannot figure out what the difference between the newer and the older model (the HA-1) is or why I should buy the new on instead of the old. The old one went for $249 and the new one goes for $349—what do I get for the additional $100?

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    It looks like it might be better if you're using it for recording. Maybe a little smaller and a better design on some minor points (input, output jacks, and a little better protection for the knobs). Cooler looking for sure. There were some issues (mainly on Amazon reviews) where people were a little disappointed that the EQ could only be used for instrument input...apparently that is the same for both. I'd be surprised if they continue manufacturing both models.

3. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Well, that's nice—but is it $100 nicer?

4. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Only your wallet knows for sure. Personally, I've been GASing for a HA-1 and this gives me hopes of a less than $249.99 purchase (at least that's what my wallet has told me).

Thick McRunfast likes this.
  5. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Well, I almost don't want to tell you (because it will diminish their stock), but you can buy an HA-1 from ProAudioStar for $199.00.

6. telenoiz

telenoiz

Nov 25, 2018
    I was in the market for an HA-1 when I just discovered the HA-2 announcement. After a 5 minute comparison. The obvious design layout, which looks better to me. The HA-2 has 300mW headphone out versus HA-1 200mW. The HA-2 has a 1/4" line-out jack if you want to say, put a in-ear monitor of your instrument while also feeding a pre-amp signal to the board, or another amp`. The new HA-2 digital-to-analog conversion has higher resolution, variable sample rates, which would be of interest if you are using it as a recording interface.

selowitch likes this.
  7. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    $349 is getting into Phil Jones Bass Buddy territory—and that has an even better feature set, although it lacks the D/A converter and USB connection that the Big Head does have.

8. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Very helpful, thank you. So it looks like the HA-2 might be worth it in the long run if recording is something I'll be doing a lot of. I could see using the HA-2 for recording other instruments (e.g., guitar, keyboards)—I am thinking there’s no reason to limit myself to just bass. Now the other question for me is whether I should get the HA-2 in lieu of a Focusrite or PreSonus interface (as long as I don't mind recording one track at a time).

9. telenoiz

telenoiz

Nov 25, 2018
    You nailed it.. like most things, it's all about what you plan to use it for. Otherwise, there are other devices that will do the same, and some. My purpose is to have a compact carry-around to plug into a tablet or cell phone, and my bass in order to learn and rehearse songs quickly anywhere. For this, the HA-1 will do fine. I have a multi-channel recording interface already, so the D/A interface might only be used if I found myself wanting to capture ideas when I'm not at home with my gear. It's the compact, mobility of the thing that does it for me.

10. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    Does anybody know how the recording resolution of the HA-2 and HA-1 would compare to that found in the Fender Rumble Studio 40? If they are comparable, maybe the Fender unit is the better investment because you also get a whole lot of effects ... and it's an entire practice amp and speaker for not much more money.

11. selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I am also wondering if the Fender Rumble Studio 40 would be better for my needs.