Phil Jones Briefcase as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I would really like one of the PJ Briefcase amps for practice/small gigs. I was wondering if it would work using the PJ as a preamp into my power amp/cab setup for bigger gigs? Your thoughts?
  2. Yep, it would work! There's a 1/4 inch preamp out on the back that you can plug right into a power amp. You can also power a bigger cab with that amp. It's about 100 watts, and it pushes pretty hard for it's size.

As far as gigging with the Briefcase goes, you might do OK if it's like a coffee shop with little or no drums (maybe a jazz kit with brushes), but I wouldn't recommend it for anything larger.

It's absolutely PERFECT for practice at home and even as a personal monitor if you are going DI and are in a controlled setting. I have one myself and use it to gig at church as a personal monitor/DI.

The DI on it is great sounding as well, and flexible with the EQ. And the headphone out is convenient when you need to practice quietly at the house.

Take care!

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Would it stand up in a bluegrass situation?
  4. My opinion is that the Briefcase is a great personal practice amp. I'm not going to say that you can't gig with it, but if you do, you will definitley need PA backup. Personally the only place that I feel comfortable gigging with it is at my church.

In that situation, we have the drums in a booth and the electric guitar amp in a iso-box. The rest of the instruments are DI, so the room volume is very controlled. We also have in-ear monitors, which helps a ton.

What I do in that setting is use the Briefcase as a personal monitor and DI. If I were playing with a live set of drums and exposed guitar amp, I'd definitley want more volume than the Briefcase can provide.

If you're jamming with say just an acoustic guitar, it would work great. But anything more and you need to call in the troops.

It's not built to be a gig amp. It's best suited as a practice piece. This is regardless of the style of music as the sound quality is great! It's just not LOUD.

Hope that helps!

5. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    I just let mine go because *something* had to go, but I found it to be an excellent sounding amp, and it made a great companion to my URB and ABG. I also kept it by my desk for practice and noodling. It would be great as a preamp, the XLR is nice and quiet, and the amp will drive a different cab and still sound good. The overall volume issue is very subjective. I found it to be great for getting my ABG up to a good level for playing with acoustic guitars and such. I have gigged with it in coffeehouse situations and it was just enough, but it didn't sound as good as my Clarus head with a Flite 1x10.