Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones Briefcase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jherrera, May 8, 2005.

1. Jherrera

Jherrera Guest

Sep 25, 2004
    Anyone here use a Phil Jones Briefcase amp? I was wondering if that amp is worth it because I've heard good reviews but 100W and 2x5" speakers seems really quiet. I noticed it has a balanced line out and was wondering if it is possible to hook up a cab to the briefcase so you get the briefcase "sound" but louder. :help:

2. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There was one in the for sale forum. Dig through there and ask him.

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I have used my Briefcase to drive two Bergantino cabs (HT112/EX112) and the tone was excellent! The volume was very impressive, as well, and much, much louder than through the internal two 5" speakers. Taking into account that it is designed to be a small, accurate, high quality amp that can be battery powered, it really hits the mark well. You can certainly buy a louder amp for the money, but in my opinion, the Briefcase does a great job doing what it was designed to do.

Tom.

4. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    When using the preamp out, does the amp function as normal? Could I use it to push a power amp and a 212, and use the 2 5's for highs?

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, there's no crossover, but you could certainly use the internal speakers (full range) and drive another amp/cab at the same time.

Tom.