Phil Jones Briefcase

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DasClyde, Jan 22, 2006.

1. DasClyde

DasClyde Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Hey all. I currently own a hartke vx3500(hartke ha3500+4x10 as a combo) and I really have no need for all of that. I don't gig and if I want to jam I would have to bring it with me because my practice amp is a broken first act amp. I was thinking abou the PJ briefcase bass amp( d77695
    ) and wondering if anyone has any experience, or advice for my situation. I would probably end up selling my hartke deal there so any help is appreciated! thanks!:)
  2. adept_inept

Jan 9, 2006
    ive played thru other pj stuff. and its top notch.

its light, and im sure thats definitely plenty loud for ur needs.
  3. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    It's certainly a sweet little amp, though not all that loud and fairly heavy. It is loud for its size, sure, but if you plan to play with anything other than a drummer with a pretty light touch, you're probably out of luck.

That said, it sounds great, is small (though not all that light), and is loud enough for quite a few situations.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    It is a killer amp for its size, though I would not call it light. In fact, I find it hard to imagine how it could be any heavier (again, for its size). This doesn't bother me at all, but given it's diminutive proportions, I do find it to be surprisingly heavy. The tone is excellent, IMHO, even down to a low B. And it does get really loud for 100w driving two 5" speakers. But I'd find it lacking in volume for most "amplified" practices. It'll do great if you're playing by yourself, or competing with primarily acoustic instruments, but at least in the bands that I play it, it's not loud enough to compete at practice with amplified guitars.