Phil Jones cabs, anyone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Oct 21, 2002.

1. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Has anyone here heard or Phil Jones ( I just got a note from Dan at LAG, immediately went to the web site, and was promptly "shocked and amazed" and what I saw. Talk about being speakered to death....this stuff is nothing short of amazing. I may be WAY behind the curve here, but I haven't heard anything about this guy nor anythign about the types of cabs he's designing at all. Just wondering if I've lost the plot....
  2. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Uh oh...

here we go again... :rolleyes:

3. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Yep.....another "ultimate bass component on the planet" (yawn....where's my pillow???).

Really, it would be cool if they can deliver the goods with those teensy-weensy speakers.

But I've seen `em come and go in all the advertisements for about 30 years, with all the "world's greatest" hyperbole. IMO, nothing shakes the floor like fine 15's/18's full of juice from a decent amp.

Moreover, they seem to rely on multiple, munchkin, speakers. Well.....ever hear how crappy a 4x10 sounds with one blown 10"??? There's simply more speaker components to go wrong, IME.

For right now, they seem to be all "talk" and no "walk."
  4. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    What do I see on their website:

- pictures of speakers with many, many 5" drivers. Could be interesting. I know Stanley Clarke experimented with a similar setup long ago. Technology has changed since then though, so maybe whatever caused him to give that up no longer applies. Also, the Bose 901 and 801 series have been using this approach for a long time.

- another case of "improper-apostrophe-itis": "our patented 5-inch speaker put's out an amazing amount of power and clarity". "Put is out"? Or "the out belonging to put"? Uh. . . . Is it just me, or is this phenomenon spreading? Sure, some people have a harder time with spelling and grammar than others. But I would think that, when hiring someone to develop the content for your website, this would be a consideration?

- no specs
    - no prices
    - lots of vague hyperbole

I've already put my opinions on the T500 down on record, so I won't restate them here. Given those however, you can probably guess that I wouldn't put too much stock in the possibility of the rest of his products providing much value for the cost they'll likely be.
  5. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I hope this doesn't turn into a "bash Phil Jones" thread, as he appears to be new and I doubt that anyone has had the opportunity to try the products yet. I just thought that it was an interesting product. However, the one thing that I have to agree on are the prices that many new cab manufacturers seem to be charging. I realize that a lot goes into R & D and that the components used for most modern speaker cabs can be pricey, I just find it hard to believe that there is enough of a market out there for anyone to sustain a product line selling individual cabs for thousands of dollars. I hope that this guy doesn't fall into the same category.
  6. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    My drummer sat in his booth for about a half hour at the NAMM show. He was blown away by what he heard. Although I had asked him to bring back Ashdown info, he brought me the Phil Jones stuff. Phil has great credentials, and was involved with Wharfedale speakers for a while.
    I'm holding judgement until I can hear some of his stuff, but I'm giving him the benefit of a doubt right off the bat.
    I can give you an email for one of his reps if you want to ask someone who knows rather than speculate with each other.
  7. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    hopefully, with the proliferation of his product, the prices will drop. i still wanna play his $10,000 amp.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    What's "Wharfedale"?
  9. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Years ago, Brian Bromberg used a brand of speakers called Bold Concept speakers that used a similar idea - lots of little cones. They were quite simply the most amazing sounding speakers I've EVER heard, before or since. The company went out of business (they were a very small shop), but I've always kept an eye out.

I suspect these things sound great.
  10. Back in the late 60's when I started playing the only thing anyone used for electric bass was either 12's or 15's. Then in the mid 70's Acustic started using 18's in a folded horn. Along about that same time Ampeg and Traynor started using 10's. When I 1st heard of this I thought they must be crazy. 10's are what is used in a Fender Super Reverb, a guitar amp and NOT A Bass amp. Well we know that 10's are pretty much the standard speaker for bass these days. Why not a 5" driver? It probably really kicks butt. However, who needs that much sound and power on stage? 1/2 the guys I know these days aren't even using an amp on stage. They do everything through stage or in ear monators. I commend anyone who tries to improve things, I'm just having a hard time justifying the need.:oops:
  11. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    To answer the question, Wharfedale is an award-winning stereo speaker company in Britain. Jones did time there, as well as at Audio Energy (just read the bio on his website - link is in the first post). The basic premise is to move lots of air efficiently and quickly. 18" cones respond slowly, and Jones calculates that the 5" cone is his choice for maximum efficiency and quickest response time. Now, do it with 25 cones at once, and BA-BOOM.
  12. Sprinkler

Sprinkler [account disabled]

Jul 31, 2002
    my swr 4x8 works great for lowB, so why wouldn't 6x5's do?
  13. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

interesting. i'll try anything once, and the smaller diameter theory seems alright in my books, but dammit, those amps and cabs look butt ugly! put a black grill or something to cover those cones. looks like a cheap hartke or something...
  14. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I find it hard to believe too, JPJ. But "more choice" is "more nice"........if you have the wallet.

It doesn't seem long ago when WAYNE Jones was the "flavor of the month" and all of those rants (I've yet to hear/see one, so I'm not passing judgement at all) -

"No expense has been spared; Quality, Hi-Fi, Portability, High Powered, Full Range sound.We aim to go as low as possible and as high as possible, without compromise of any of the frequencies in between."
  15. Dan Lenard

Dan Lenard Banned

Mar 8, 2002
    I heard Phil's gear in his hotel room at moderate volume.
    NOT a great test, but I was very impressed by the dynamic clarity and the way even the smallest rig
    ( the Six-Pak ) handled a low B.
    I hope to have some of this gear here in 1-2 months and do a real test, compared to my Glock rig ( my reference point ) and Epifani and AccuGroove cabs.
    So, I too am reserving judgement at this time, but can't wait to develop an informed opinion.
    Stay tuned.
    Dan Lenard
  16. bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    The 5" (or smaller) multiple speaker setup has been used in high end audio for a while by a few different manufacturers....whether or not it will work in a real world setup I have no idea.
  17. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    ampeg had an 8x6.5 cab out so why should this not be any different? think of the difference btw. 8's and 10's... i guess it would also depend on the tuning and porting of the cab too. i think that it would work...but i'm no expert. ;)
  18. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    He's a bit bragadocious, I'd say. He uses that "People are saying ... " thing a bit much.

"People are saying we have the best cabinets on the market."

Well, uh, let's see. There's Phil, his wife Freda, and, uh ... well, that's people.

"People at the NAMM show were really impressed with our bass amps."

OK, well, we've got Phil, his wife Freda, and, uh ... well, that's people.
  19. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Home audio speaker manufacturer. Long history in the hifi industry.
  20. I'd like to hear them. In the high-end audio world, most (not all) of the best-reviewed speaker systems use small drivers. The ones I have heard were incredible. Great clarity and articulation.

His work history is interesting - nice to see someone who loves bass passionate about amp and speaker design. I'm familiar with Acoustic Energy - they had some great speakers in the 90s. The Platinum Audio products were also treated very well in the audio press.

I would like to see some specs, though...

If his design fails, it could be more about the fact that many bass players seem to be obsessed with "size" and think 5" speaker are just to wimpy for them... ;)