Phil Jones help?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Aug 31, 2004.

1. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Im looking at the 9B cab right now. My dealer has one and it sounds great. What I wonder is how loud it will go on its own with a 4-string Lakland hollowbody. Can it compare to a 2x12" in volume (I used a SWR Bigfoot before and that was enough)? The speaker surface area is about the same (if I did the math right). Im going to power it with some pre/poweramp combo so the headroom will be there.
    Please help!
  2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer, Builder
    theres a guy on bassgear thats been trying to sell a couple of cabs and a M500. Check him out, I believe he had a 6 and a 9.
  3. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Jock - I'll go out on a limb here and say that I assume it'll rival a 2x12 in volume. I say this because I have the 6pak combo, only 190W at its internal 12 ohm load with the 6 speakers, and it's louder than my old 350W head could get with a single 1x12. I can shake things in my entire house (albeit a small 1200 sq ft) with these 6 fives. I never had occasion to crank my old head with both 12s so I dont know its volume peak. I've cranked the 6pak just to see what it could do =0)

One thing about these speakers, is the more bass you feed them (i.e. bass freqs from the lowest EQ band or even the bass knob on an active instrument), the greater excursion you'll see in the speakers - actually moving farther in and out when given more LOW than they do with more sheer volume. This *may or may not* mean breakup potential at high volume, but IMHO ideal tone is achieved well before I crank the bass knob on my bass anyway.