Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones knockoff

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got a couple of Bose 901s. They each have 9 4.5" full range drivers in them. How would I make a cab for 18 small speakers? The imp. would be 4 ohms. Sealed? Ported? I have an empty D-410 XLT cab.... I hate to bastardize it, but what if it worked real good???

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Why not leave them in the cabs they were designed for? Otherwise, you're taking chances unless the new box is the same size (per driver), and tuned to the same frequency.

I've never seen a sensitivity or frequency response spec for the 901s. Or, for that matter, ANY Bose speaker. They seem to be pretty shy of such objective measurements. :rolleyes:

3. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

Bose have this stupid "Mystique" about them. They used to boast "Unlimited power handling" for non-commercial use. They are really 50 watt full range drivers. The 901 series is their "Flagship" model and does posess the coupling effect. It is angled back, so you would have to turn them around. I was thinking that their bass response was too hi-fi, but the drivers would take considerable power if I put all of them in a 4-10 size box. Would they perform better in a sealed cab? Divided into chambers? Ported? See what I'm getting at?

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I have absolutely no clue. You'd have to find the drivers' Thiele-Small measurements to have any hope of knowing, and then use a speaker-design program and know what you're doing to get anywhere useful. See what I'm getting at? :p

5. The safe bet when going full speed with your eyes closed into the abyss of speaker design is to build a sealed box. That way there is no tuning involved and you don't need to know the parameters of the drivers. Of course you won't get 30Hz flat response, but you'll get a nice transient response to make up for it.

So if you want to do it, build a sealed box to try your idea out.

Now, I'll tell you this - Don't do it. :D Stereo speakers aren't Musical Instrument speakers. They'll probably sound like crap and get blown pretty quick.

Sell the Bose's, use the cash to buy something made for bass instrument use, like a Peavey Black widow 15 or 18 in your own sealed box.

Chris

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :eek: NNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO........

Seriously building a rectangle out of wood isn't than hard and it gets easier the more you do it.