Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Phil Jones M500 head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Sep 22, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone played this head?
    It looks really good and versatile. How does it sound and perform? Is it loud?
    Would it sound good with other speakers than PJB´s own cabs?

2. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Sounds amazing! It's got more versatility than anything else I've played...the eq is simply an Exacto knife waiting to carve out its tone!

I've only played it through the PJB speakers, but I think it was pretty much developed with the PJB speakers in mind...they're pretty middly, and it took the PJB to sculpt a good flat tone through the speakers. I'd tend to think if it can flatten out the PJB cabs, it can do pretty much anything through any cab. And, it's LOUD!!!

3. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
    I playe done in a store for a while. They had no PJB cabs, had to use a Trace Elliot 810. Since it was in a store, I couldn't get it up to the volume I would have liked. I had the sense it would got pretty loud. I usd it with my Ristola 5 string, tuned to a low A it's the most demanding of my basses, it sounds best with LOTS of clean power and headroom.

I have never heard it sound so good. It was tough to get a bad sound out of it. Sounded great from the first note, with everything flat on the amp. Deep, punchy and clear all at once. I asked the salesman his impressions of the amp. He said he owns one and the accompanying stack, and that it sounds great with the PJB cabs but they demand a lot of power, so it is louder with other cabs. Also said the PJB cabs are hi-fi and do not color the sound at all. He was careful about his word choice, but gave the impression the lack of color left something to be desired, he then went on at length how great it sounded with his Mesa Diesel 215.

I wonder a little about reliability though. I've heard negative murmurings about PJB stuff, nothing specific. However, salesman mentioned the floor model Briefcase had to pulled from the floor, it sounded broken. Now this was a place where you were chaperoned around the expensive gear, so it shouldn't be due to abuse. I'd want a portable amp to be somewhat robust anyway...

Pretty pricey, but I liked it, the sound blew me away. Then, to cleanse my palate as it were, I tried various Genz Benz combos and amp/cab setups, and I was just as blown away as I had been by the M500. The sound wasn't quite as good, but very nearly, and at a fraction of the price. If I were looking for a new amp I'd pick one up without hesitation.